Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Today I did another test run on my usual "test track" to see what improvements there are in autopilot with the latest update 2014.42. Turns out some improvements are definitely there, but still some problematic areas as well. But compared to the last time I did this run (like 2 updates ago), and a terrible update in between (2017.40 just messed everything up) this update is much better again.

As mentioned on another thread, I also got the impression that the side repeater cameras might have come into play as there is new behaviour in the auto lane change.

Anyways, enjoy!

One difference I definitely noted was roadways edged with a curb the car now identifies the edge curb as a road line and treats it like one.

Actually, 2 or 3 releases ago, the car would see the gutter as a line as well, which made it possible to use AP on roads without any painted lines at all. But that ability has now gone, unfortunately. It did it remarkably well too.

Tried it some more today - and while it seems to be better, still has problems. There were some dark lines in a lane - and the software got confused about the lane and started swerving out of the lane.

Tried it some more today - and while it seems to be better, still has problems. There were some dark lines in a lane - and the software got confused about the lane and started swerving out of the lane.
I have 2017.42.1 and my Auto Lane change is not working. I saw in the video that yours is. Previous version 2017.40 was working.

Actually, 2 or 3 releases ago, the car would see the gutter as a line as well, which made it possible to use AP on roads without any painted lines at all. But that ability has now gone, unfortunately. It did it remarkably well too.

I never saw that behavior on any of the interim releases, and previous releases always seemed to hug curbs terribly. But, 40.xxx and 42.xxx seem to hug the inner lane line much better and avoid curbs. I learned the hard way by damaging two hubs that hit curbs with 34.xxx. :/ Anyway, it didn't recognize Seattle curbs AT ALL previously.

Updated to 42 with the rest of the fleet last week. I've tested it for at least a few hours combined.

Everyone keeps saying "much better" for these updates but I think they are more like "tiny, miniscule changes" barely making a dent in the overall issues of using autosteer on local roads. I always test for a few days when a new release comes out then go back to not using it, disappointed that such small progress had been made since the last update a month ago. Rinse and repeat.

Beta testing continues..

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Updated to 42 with the rest of the fleet last week. I've tested it for at least a few hours combined.

Everyone keeps saying "much better" for these updates but I think they are more like "tiny, miniscule changes" barely making a dent in the overall issues of using autosteer on local roads. I always test for a few days when a new release comes out then go back to not using it, disappointed that such small progress had been made since the last update a month ago. Rinse and repeat.

Beta testing continues..

Hmmm... I'm actually in the "40 and 42 are a HUGE step forward (finally)" camp. The difference from previous releases for local Seattle streets is huge. I have given up testing previous releases after it lurched into a curb, damaging two hubs. But now I feel that it is safe enough to try again (cautiously). Highway seems just about at parity with AP1 almost all of the time.

@HumanGenome Yes, indeed. It is still beta testing. And as long as you realise that and pay attention, it is no more dangerous than driving yourself. Just don't expect to be able to relax and let the car handle it.
Tesla divides roads into classes. Class 1 is highway, class 2 is major roads, class 3 is smaller secondary roads etc. AP is still being programmed primarily for class 1 roads. So the fact that it works on smaller/other roads is also more a side effect than a target. More like a secondary target. At least, that is the info I got.

Reactions: ICUDoc