Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improvements in build quality after factory re-opening?

Have you had issues with your Model Y (pre or post factory reopening) requiring service?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on these forums and YouTube videos, there are some issues that come up repeatedly with Model Y's: Rear seats not folding down when the lever is pulled, frunk/trunk not latching properly when closing, noisy heat pump, etc.

I read somewhere that Tesla re-tooled their factories during the COVID-related closure. I'm wondering whether this means that these issues have now been addressed. Have there been any improvements in the build quality of the Model Y, compared with pre-COVID builds?

I've set up a poll to try to answer this question. I realize that it's not a rigorous scientific study, but I hope it can shed some light on the topic. I'd also love to hear opinions or observations on this.

I pick up my Y on 30 May, spent a few hours combing through the whole car, the Hatch worked very well opening and closing, I know that the hatch was a major deal with a lot of Model Y’s, the back seats also worked well folding down with the 2 buttons. There was 1 small round sensor right rear quarter panel behind the tire that the sensor was pushed in, also one of the rear tail light was kinda sticking out too much. Since they had to remove the rear bumper to get to the sensor, they were able to re-align that rear tail light to make it flush. The front passenger chair, the carpet underneath, it was pulling apart facing the door so they were able to reroute the wires under it and the two pieces of carpet came flush together. The right rear wheel well trim (plastic) had a scratch, they were able to pull one from another car to replace the damage one on my car. Lastly as we were pulling away, we noticed what appeared to be a vertical scratch on the drivers window, so the car went back into the back and they were able to buff out that scratch, could of been glue or something but it felt as if there was a deep scratch there. The rep I was dealing with was like saying “oh yes that’s how they are coming out of the factory”, I didn’t want to hear that shizzzz from her as I am dropping 60k for a car and I am not that picky. Just fix what you can here and I don’t have to deal with any service appointments later. Carlsbad took good care of me and we were so glad to drive off with a nice ride intact with minor issues.

Note: Sentry Mode does work and records the events but DashCam won’t record at all. I own a 2019 Model 3 so I know how to configure and work Dashcam etc.

Great overall experience in Carlsbad and yes it seems that their QC out of the factory is getting better. The model Y that was next to me, the plastic trim that is under the rocker panel was pulling outward but they were able to fix that for him also.

No missing parts, the charger and Tow Hook was there. Currently from Delivery 2020.16.2.5

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and DennyL
We got our Y yesterday, build date of 5/20. The only real issue we saw was the flat out awful paint job. I have never seen lemon peel on paint like on the Model Y. After we asked the employee and he said it is within their quality standards, I walked around to check out the various other models as well as other Y's. The Y's definitely had the worst paint of the bunch. My 3 isn't that bad but the Y's were awful.

He said we could refuse it but that honestly the next one wasn't going to be any better.

• Disagree
Reactions: KenYoung1 and MC686
We got our Y yesterday, build date of 5/20. The only real issue we saw was the flat out awful paint job. I have never seen lemon peel on paint like on the Model Y. After we asked the employee and he said it is within their quality standards, I walked around to check out the various other models as well as other Y's. The Y's definitely had the worst paint of the bunch. My 3 isn't that bad but the Y's were awful.

He said we could refuse it but that honestly the next one wasn't going to be any better.

they supposedly did some work in the paint shop during the shut down. I guess it didn’t help with the quality.

• Funny
Reactions: Mastequila

VIN number (approximate is okay)?

I just took delivery today and posted about it. I had posted the same info on the local Las Vegas (Tesla) FB, the sales manager must be a member or someone sent him my post because he called to follow up and get my stuff expedited and explain why the car was outside in the heat (COVID-19 stuff but gotta be able to deliver a car in the shade in 100* heat somehow...). The trim piece will need to be ordered before my fixes happen but hopefully it's still a Mobile Tech fix.

Las Vegas, (Service Center) delivery 4 June 2020

• Informative
Reactions: anon125110
Picked up 104XX from Fremont factory Tuesday. Haven't tested everything yet but already have service scheduled for next Tuesday for rear hatch that is out of alignment, upper frunk trim that is popped off (issue that Sandy Munro observed). Also noted hood being a little too proud when closed.

The car prep feels rushed, but it's about what I expected. I'm guessing two people the prep, one on side. One side had more stickers/protective covers taken off (e.g. the clear protector on the vanity mirror) while they were still present on the other side. All the issues I've found so far looked like they could have been easily detected and fixed during prep. I'm guessing they're "intentional" in the sense that better to get the car out and the let service center deal with it to maximize number of cars delivered. My local service center, Sunnyvale, CA, seems to have the capacity. I had no trouble booking an appointment that was only a week out.

FWIW My 3 was delivered in much better shape but it was much later from the initial launch (got it in Sep 2018). Although it did need service early as well (bad batch of turn signal controls) and it had an early rattle that was a loose door clip.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Took delivery of my Red/White PUP just an hour ago. Small paint chip at the edge of the driver's door; and another small clear-coat 'blob' just above the left tailgate opening. Otherwise perfection. No panel gaps, interior is perfect, trim/molding lines up perfectly etc.

Build date is 5/20.
How are they fixing the clear coat “blob” for you? I also have what appears to be a strand of hair trapped in the clear coat may just have my detailer fix as prep for ppf wrap

How are they fixing the clear coat “blob” for you? I also have what appears to be a strand of hair trapped in the clear coat may just have my detailer fix as prep for ppf wrap

It's in such an inconspicuous place I'm not sure I'll have it fixed; can't be seen unless you make a point to look on top of the car at the join of the hatch.

I can probably fix myself, or like you have a detailer do it, with a strong compound or even wet-sand.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Looks like the fanbois will need to start stuffing the ballot box to avoid this truth. Here is my delivery story: Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

The Model Y is built in a tent (no joke) by clowns. Not to offend any of the factory workers, but there has been disruption of the experienced workforce from COVID and the shutdown apparently.

Expect the truth to be confirmed by JD Powers for the first time despite Tesla being uncooperative: Tesla will be included in J.D. Power initial quality survey for the first time, kinda - Roadshow

Looks like the fanbois will need to start stuffing the ballot box to avoid this truth. Here is my delivery story: Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

The Model Y is built in a tent (no joke) by clowns. Not to offend any of the factory workers, but there has been disruption of the experienced workforce from COVID and the shutdown apparently.

Expect the truth to be confirmed by JD Powers for the first time despite Tesla being uncooperative: Tesla will be included in J.D. Power initial quality survey for the first time, kinda - Roadshow

How many times are you going to post the same post, we got it. Now i hear VW is calling, they need help with there emissions numbers and thought maybe you could help.

How does one figure out the build date?
7A9401A9-5417-406D-B66D-F1809E09BC61.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1