Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improvements on my new ‘used’ P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I finally pulled the trigger on my ‘new’ used Model S and it is a beauty! It’s a 2015 P85D, loaded to the gills. I actually think it has every option Tesla offered at the time, including rear facing jump seats, panorama roof, alcantara dashboard and carbon fiber trim. I’m thrilled with it!

However there’s always room for some touchups and aftermarket improvements. Some are based on what I think is a bit lacking from Tesla, others are slight visual improvements.

So here’s what I’m thinking.

Improvements on the original:

Console
The 2015 obviously has no center console and I’m trying to figure out what the best option is. There are a few. Tesla do offer one as an aftermarket option, but Evannex, Taptes, EVamped and others have decent options. Tesla’s is too rich for my opinion, but Taptes looks really good. I’ve seen the Evannex and it’s not quite what I want. I might get a cubby drawer with it, but honestly, the lack of a drawer isn’t really bothering me.
Center Console Insert for Tesla Model S June 2012-May 2016

Aftermarket facelift
Again, I know people have done this with OEM parts, but I don’t think I’ll take that route. Unplugged and Tsportline have really cool facelifts. I’ve seen people debate which is better, but from what I can till it’s just people voting for the option they bought. I haven’t seen a thorough side by side comparison.
2012-2016 Tesla Model S Front Bumper Facelift Refresh
Unplugged Performance Refresh Front Fascia System for Tesla Model S

Fob management
The Tesla keyfob, although functional, is a really impractical object. For that I’d like a nice keychain friendly fob cover. Any recommendations are appreciated.

MCU Power
The MCU isn’t bad, but having seen a new Model 3, I definitely feel it could use a boost. Also, moving from 3G to LTE would be a very welcome bump for Spotify streaming. Probably too pricy to make sense, though.

Leather creaking
There’s a well documented creaking when the front seats sometimes rub against the armrest and for that I’ve learned that Tesla themselves apply DuPont Krytox GL205. I’ll be having a tube of that sent my way soon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLD61...m/images/I/51cGfKscjzL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B00MWLD61A

Cosmetic fixes:

Window streaks
My driver’s side front window has some vertical scrathes in it. It seems there’s something lodged in the door scratching it as it rolls up and down. Don’t see any other option than to take it to Tesla for a fix. I do plan on tinting my windows. I wonder whether that might hide it?

Dog’s life
I have a chocolate labrador that enjoys riding in the trunk (given I remember she’s there and refrain from flooring it). I’m a little scared about her scratching the paint when she jumps in the car so I found a decent roll-out cover on Amazon. Please share if you found anything better.
https://www.amazon.com/Encell-Folda...+foldable+car&qid=1568242350&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Door alignment
There seems to be an ever so slight misalignment between the front and rear doors on both sides. From what I’ve read, that’s a minor fix by Tesla themselves.

That covers most of my concerns, but I’d love to hear from you, the experienced Tesla-heads. Fire away!

All the best,
Bjarki

LTE upgrade is generally $500, but there were some reports of specific centers reducing to ~$300 IIRC.
I use the Abstract Ocean silicone fob cover and have no issues with it. I only keep three keys on my fob though so not heavily weighed down.
Center console I have the EV Annex one which you don’t prefer. :)
Congrats and welcome from a fellow P85Der.

I have the original Tesla drop in console which works. Get the door and window fixed before you tint. My favorite add on are the factory sunroof and back window shades. You may also want a 2 channel dashcam installed. We also have the tesla all weather floor mats installed. works great with the kids and I suspect for your furry companion as well. Enjoy the car.

Here's what I did to my 2016 75D (it has the new front end)
  1. I upgraded all the interior LED's (4 footwell, 1 glove box, 3 trunk, 1 frunk, 4 puddle lights) to the Abstract Ocean LED's. Best lighting mod!
  2. I replaced the floor mats with the custom Model S Tuxmat - IMHO, the best mats for any car.
  3. I had a PPF applied to the leading edges of the hood and front fenders
  4. Tinted the windows (35% on the four door windows and 20% in the rear windscreen)
  5. Not a mod, but useful - bought a spare charging cable with the 14-50 and regular house hold outlet so that I wouldn't have to take the one I use at home with me when I travel.

Fob management
The Tesla keyfob, although functional, is a really impractical object. For that I’d like a nice keychain friendly fob cover. Any recommendations are appreciated.
The fob has a small slot where you can attach a string lanyard for attachment to a keychain. That's what I use on my X fob and works on the S fob. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/NoCutKey-Tesla-Model-String-Lanyard/dp/B07BHKBH28

My S fobs came a fob band, which after 2.5 years is still tight on both fobs. My wife also has this on her X fob.
Model S Key Band
or https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Keychains-Compatable-Keychain-Holder/dp/B07SSX46BS/

Also, I also highly recommend the Abstract Ocean LED upgrades. I did them in both my cars.

Hey everyone. I finally pulled the trigger on my ‘new’ used Model S and it is a beauty! It’s a 2015 P85D, loaded to the gills. I actually think it has every option Tesla offered at the time, including rear facing jump seats, panorama roof, alcantara dashboard and carbon fiber trim. I’m thrilled with it!

However there’s always room for some touchups and aftermarket improvements. Some are based on what I think is a bit lacking from Tesla, others are slight visual improvements.

So here’s what I’m thinking.

Improvements on the original:

Console
The 2015 obviously has no center console and I’m trying to figure out what the best option is. There are a few. Tesla do offer one as an aftermarket option, but Evannex, Taptes, EVamped and others have decent options. Tesla’s is too rich for my opinion, but Taptes looks really good. I’ve seen the Evannex and it’s not quite what I want. I might get a cubby drawer with it, but honestly, the lack of a drawer isn’t really bothering me.
Center Console Insert for Tesla Model S June 2012-May 2016

Aftermarket facelift
Again, I know people have done this with OEM parts, but I don’t think I’ll take that route. Unplugged and Tsportline have really cool facelifts. I’ve seen people debate which is better, but from what I can till it’s just people voting for the option they bought. I haven’t seen a thorough side by side comparison.
2012-2016 Tesla Model S Front Bumper Facelift Refresh
Unplugged Performance Refresh Front Fascia System for Tesla Model S

Fob management

MCU Power
The MCU isn’t bad, but having seen a new Model 3, I definitely feel it could use a boost. Also, moving from 3G to LTE would be a very welcome bump for Spotify streaming. Probably too pricy to make sense, though.

Leather creaking
There’s a well documented creaking when the front seats sometimes rub against the armrest and for that I’ve learned that Tesla themselves apply DuPont Krytox GL205. I’ll be having a tube of that sent my way soon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLD61A?aaxitk=OP1zkNEY4RE2jHF6ibKxag&pd_rd_i=B00MWLD61A&pf_rd_p=44fc3e0f-4b9e-4ed8-b33b-363a7257163d&hsa_cr_id=7441280300101&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51cGfKscjzL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B00MWLD61A

Cosmetic fixes:

Window streaks
My driver’s side front window has some vertical scrathes in it. It seems there’s something lodged in the door scratching it as it rolls up and down. Don’t see any other option than to take it to Tesla for a fix. I do plan on tinting my windows. I wonder whether that might hide it?

Dog’s life
I have a chocolate labrador that enjoys riding in the trunk (given I remember she’s there and refrain from flooring it). I’m a little scared about her scratching the paint when she jumps in the car so I found a decent roll-out cover on Amazon. Please share if you found anything better.
https://www.amazon.com/Encell-Folda...+foldable+car&qid=1568242350&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Door alignment
There seems to be an ever so slight misalignment between the front and rear doors on both sides. From what I’ve read, that’s a minor fix by Tesla themselves.

That covers most of my concerns, but I’d love to hear from you, the experienced Tesla-heads. Fire away!

All the best,
Bjarki
Cubby drawer is the number one upgrade that is a must in my opinion. I have the EVamped and it locks in really tight for ludicrous mode. I really like their center consoles also. The Tapetes have had mixed reviews recently, so I went that route.