Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving brake "feel"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
track/race pads on street are a terrible idea. universally: they need heat to be effective. i would argue it's even more important here with regen, since when you DO need the brakes, they will not work. more dependant on the pad: some track compounds are caustic and will eat your wheel finish.
I have to second that! As an ex racing driver, it’s not a bad idea, but you would only want the maximum of a slightly better street use. The PROBLEM is, that people don’t realise properties and heat ranges in brakes. So, hypothetically if you end up buying what you think is good street/track pad. You could end up with no brakes in an emergency.

If it’s a performance model, I would recommend the HP2000 which are actually OEM.
They are slightly better than the standard performance model HP1000s.

I had no issues with completely cold brakes. I actually used my Dragy and the stopping times were practically identical from 60. They just allow a bit more country road blasting with a slightly higher temp range.
Tesla will supply the HP2000s if you ask

I have to second that! As an ex racing driver, it’s not a bad idea, but you would only want the maximum of a slightly better street use. The PROBLEM is, that people don’t realise properties and heat ranges in brakes. So, hypothetically if you end up buying what you think is good street/track pad. You could end up with no brakes in an emergency.

If it’s a performance model, I would recommend the HP2000 which are actually OEM.
They are slightly better than the standard performance model HP1000s.

I had no issues with completely cold brakes. I actually used my Dragy and the stopping times were practically identical from 60. They just allow a bit more country road blasting with a slightly higher temp range.
Tesla will supply the HP2000s if you ask
@Ej1749 Where have you heard that Tesla will supply HP2000s for the M3P? Can you show me an invoice for them from Tesla?

As for track/road pads being suitable for road use, it depends very much on what pad material you choose. If you read a lot of U.S.-based information the preference often seems to be for an endurance type pad, whereas in the UK for instance we use compounds which are closer to 'fast road' than endurance and the cold stopping on those pads is just fine. I'm in a group of M3P owners who do a lot of track-based driving and competitive stuff in M3Ps and we're using Carbotech XP10 and Pagid RSL29 pads for road and track without any issues whatsoever.

Reactions: Mash