Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Dimming Mirror Performance?

How well do your auto-dimming side and rear view mirrors work?

• I have a 3, and they work well.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I have a 3, and they do NOT work well.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I have an early model S (2014 or earlier), and they work well.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I have an early model S (2014 or earlier), and they do NOT work well.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have a recent model S (2015+), and they work well.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • I have a recent model S (2015+), and they do NOT work well.

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I have a 2014 Model S (pre-autopilot) and a 2020 Model 3. The auto-dimming mirrors on the Model S work flawlessly. The auto-dimming mirrors on the Model 3 are unreliable.

There are lots of reasons why the feature may be unreliable -- could be it's a different technology than on the 2014 S, could be a bad sensor, a design flaw in the current system, a software glitch, etc.

By unreliable, let me explain what I mean for my particular case. Sometimes it will remain dimmed at night even when no cars are behind me. This will endure for a long time. Sometimes it doesn't dim at all when a car IS behind me. It's rather obnoxious, and makes me wish I had a manual control for it.

Does anyone know how the auto-dimming technology works on the 2020 Model 3? Is it using a light sensor? Is it analyzing the rear camera view? Something else? I'm wondering if I can improve it's performance somehow. For example, if it's analyzing the rear camera view, I could make sure to clean the camera before trips.

While I'm at it, I think I'll add a poll to help determine if I'm a unique case or if this is a common ailment, and for which cars/years. Don't know when technologies might have changed, but I'm splitting Model S responses to pre/post 2015 because that is roughly when autopilot was added, and I don't know...that was a big change and maybe the tech for the dimming changed too.

FYI: On the poll, by "work well", limit that to mean whether or not they dim and undim at appropriate times. I don't care if you think the dim it too strong or not, so don't factor that into your answer.

PS: I very much love the dimming side and rear mirrors. Probably one of my favorite features, given how often I drive on the highway at night. Just wish they worked better on my 3.

Thanks.

Compared to the Mercedes, they are awful and sometimes dangerous. Often they take too long or don't dim enough with traffic behind me, and when parking or maneuvering in dark areas (with no cars behind me), they will usually be PITCH black. This is weird because most cars disable the dim in reverse, and I would assume this car would be the same, but nope. Already curbed one rim backing up in the rain at night because my mirrors decided to go full black on me and I didn't guess the position of the curb well, ugh! The odd thing is you compared them to the Model S, but as far as I know, the mirror assemblies are the same on both cars!

Compared to the Mercedes, they are awful and sometimes dangerous. Often they take too long or don't dim enough with traffic behind me, and when parking or maneuvering in dark areas (with no cars behind me), they will usually be PITCH black. This is weird because most cars disable the dim in reverse, and I would assume this car would be the same, but nope. Already curbed one rim backing up in the rain at night because my mirrors decided to go full black on me and I didn't guess the position of the curb well, ugh! The odd thing is you compared them to the Model S, but as far as I know, the mirror assemblies are the same on both cars!
They could be the same technology. I don't know. That is part of what I would like to figure out. I just know they work perfect in my Model S and suck bad in my Model 3.