Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving my P3D+ range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my P3D+ 4 days ago and so far I love the car. It's great.

My only problem is the range: I knew the wheels hurt things but it's even lower than I expected. The absolute best I've seen so far on my 50 mile round trip commute is 305 w/mile The worst was 369w/mile. That was driving fast but not out of line with other cars in the fast lane.

From what I've read, downgrading to the OEM 19" wheels w/ all-season tires isn't going to help me much. Going to 18's makes the biggest jump, even without the aero caps.

I'm thinking of buying the TST 18" wheels with Conti DWS 06 all seasons for winter. Has anyone with this combo seen how their efficiency changed? Any reason to believe this is a bad choice?

I'm also wondering whether it's really about the wheel diameter? Or do Tesla OEM wheels just have particularly bad aerodynamics?
Are there more and less efficient 18" wheels?

Kinda wishing I had skipped the PUP so I could run aeros. Ah well, hindsight is 20-20.

AND to those who say "drive slower"... No, I'm not going to drive slower just because I bought an electric vehicle. I drove my ice cars this way and plan to keep driving the same.

Reactions: Xeuxaz and Tjhappel
A) Haha yes. I'm still skeptical that will happen, but yeah it would be nice. I was already kicking myself for buying the package.. Finding out 4 days later that it's now free was a double whammy

B) but more on topic... Are the TST's a good choice? Has anyone evaluated their impact on range?

Multiple things...

For potholes, the smaller the wheel, the better.

For range, the lighter, the better. It will make a big difference. The 20" Forged wheels at TST weigh about the same as 18" Aeros. The difference in the kWH are huge between the 20" sport wheels and the 18" aeros. It isn't just the weight per rim, it is rotational weight... so an easy thing to do in your head is multiply the difference in weight by a factor of 10 per rim and that is how much weight you are adding to the car.

If you look at the numbers people have had with aeros, you can see that they get much better efficiency.

So look at the weight differences here:

The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

Well wheel weight mostly impacts acceleration. For steady highway driving (which is my main concern) it's all about aerodynamics

I guess what I'm asking is - who makes the most aerodynamic wheel that fits a p3d+? The TST wheels actually look like fan blades. I'm wondering if they're not actually going to end up more efficient.

It's too bad too. I am shocked at how comfortable the ride is on the 20's with the Michelin 4s. They have great reaction and the turn in response is great.

Last edited:
For highway driving it's aerodynamics, not weight.

But you could be right, we don't know how much of the difference is the Continental all-seasons vs the Michelin Primacy... Does anyone know how the DSW fares efficiency wise?

These 18's Flow One F2's on Tirerack look pretty nice. They're only 1 pound heavier than the TST's, are significantly cheaper, and might be more aerodynamic...

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...&autoYear=2018&autoModClar=Performance+Brakes

• Helpful
Reactions: ArizonaP85
I think you can get a lower w/mile with the 18 tst if its in a warmer climate, I have put them on my car and still hitting about 300-320 w/mile in 40-50 degree weather doing 75. So it helps but its basically the same as summer on 20's

I'm thinking of buying the TST 18" wheels with Conti DWS 06 all seasons for winter. Has anyone with this combo seen how their efficiency changed? Any reason to believe this is a bad choice?
I plan to prioritize safety over efficiency in the winter.

As for your desire to drive fast and aggressively, look good, and have good efficiency -- pick any two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lobstahz
I purchased my P3D+ 4 days ago and so far I love the car. It's great.

My only problem is the range: I knew the wheels hurt things but it's even lower than I expected. The absolute best I've seen so far on my 50 mile round trip commute is 305 w/mile The worst was 369w/mile. That was driving fast but not out of line with other cars in the fast lane.

From what I've read, downgrading to the OEM 19" wheels w/ all-season tires isn't going to help me much. Going to 18's makes the biggest jump, even without the aero caps.

Kinda wishing I had skipped the PUP so I could run aeros. Ah well, hindsight is 20-20.

AND to those who say "drive slower"... No, I'm not going to drive slower just because I bought an electric vehicle. I drove my ice cars this way and plan to keep driving the same.

So, yes, we know you are going to keep your driving the same, but why hot go out and do some test runs at probably a more efficient speed and see what happens. Dropping to 60 may show you that the efficiency can be achieved. But yes, is seems that you are doing/done everything possible to not get a great range.

Most importantly, wait until at least two weeks before you make many conclusions. At that point the number of 0-60 accelerator excursions will probably have decreased.

On your commute, try slowing a little bit and turn the auto-pilot on. Yes, add a few more minutes for the travel, but check your blood pressure afterwards. You may find that people may find you much happier after a relaxed ride.

Sorry late response to the thread but people like to focus so much on weight about the tires. The real issue with the 20" tires is not weight the wheels, its the grip of the tires. Tesla' MXM4's are luxury eco-specced tires with good rolling resistance characteristics. Its not the most eco tires, but its a good mix of grip and Low Rolling Resistance (LRR).

I'm a very efficiency minded driver, and I've actually gotten 220 Wh/mi over a 95 mile round trip drive on my P3D+ already. I also have over 2000+ miles on the tires so I'm wondering if that has any impact on efficiency compared to a fresh set of tires. My lifetime efficiency is 279 Wh/mi (with dozens of launches and 80-90 mph on 1 500 mile road trip), but most of my driving averages at 40-50 mph due to LA traffic.

Speed is the #1 thing though, Acceleration doesn't have as much impact as speed.

To help with my efficiency further, I'm getting a set of 18" rims once I find one I like or go with the Tsportlines 18" rims. I already bought a spare set of Tesla spec MXM4's (LRR, Acoustic Foam), from craigslist so I'll report back on those efficiency numbers later.

I can’t wait to hear about your efficiencies on the 18’s. I have approx 6k miles on my 20’s and I’m averaging 277 wh/mile which I think is quite good for what I have. With that being said ALL of my buddies are getting low 200’s on the RWD Model and driving way faster than me on average.

Basically all of my driving is la freeways with nobody but myself in the car, ski season is almost here and my every other weekend mammoth commute is coming up soon.... I’d really love to have 1 stop!

Craigslist can have some amazing deals with the number of Tesla owners selling their stock aero tires. The stock 18" rims don't fit, but those tires are real nice. I probably got the best possible deal I've ever heard at $255 for all 4 tires (210 miles on them).