Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
Improving Supercharger Availability
We designed the Supercharger network to enable a seamless, enjoyable road trip experience. Therefore, we understand that it can be frustrating to arrive at a station only to discover fully charged Tesla cars occupying all the spots. To create a better experience for all owners, we’re introducing a fleet-wide idle fee that aims to increase Supercharger availability.

We envision a future where cars move themselves once fully charged, enhancing network efficiency and the customer experience even further. Until then, we ask that vehicles be moved from the Supercharger once fully charged. A customer would never leave a car parked by the pump at a gas and the same thinking applies with Superchargers.

The Tesla app allows owners to remotely monitor their vehicle, alerting them when their charge is nearly complete and again once fully charged. For every additional minute a car remains connected to the Supercharger, it will incur a $0.40 idle fee. If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived. To be clear, this change is purely about increasing customer happiness and we hope to never make any money from it.

We’re excited to increase availability during long distance travel and think this change will make the Supercharging experience far better for everyone.

This is spectacular. It's pathetic that some people don't have the common courtesy to be considerate of others, but think given the circumstances that this is absolutely the right thing to do. Hopefully any earnings go toward building more Superchargers. Well, actually...hopefully Tesla doesn't end up making a penny off of it. (But I know that's WAY too much to ask).

I think this is fair. It is very inconsiderate to leave a fully charged Tesla in a Supercharger spot when it could be available for other Teslas to charge. Right now it is not a major problem with congestion at my local Supercharger in Rancho Cucamonga, CA but I can see how this can become a major problem after the release of Model 3. It is just bad etiquette either way to leave a fully charged Tesla in a Supercharger stall.

I wonder when it starts?

What happens if you never visit a Service Center again? Do you not ever have to pay? What if you sell your car with thousands of idle fees owing? Does the new owner have to pay them, or is that a way to clear them off without paying?

Reactions: dhanson865
Great idea!

Of course, there is going to be at least one person who will claim to have "not seen this news" and will make a big fuss when they get a $150 bill from Tesla that they did not know about. Cue masses of mainstream news articles.

On the upside. Approx every 1000 cars left "parked" overnight equals enough revenue for the build cost of a new supercharger site!

$24 an hour isn't high enough?

Not for most owners in the income brackets Tesla targets... $24 an hour is nothing for most of us... Sure we don't want to pay it and it'll discourage the practice but... I can see plenty of owners I know shrugging off the first hour or so...

Again, I support this fully and think it's great... My critique isn't about the idea at all...

Jeff

Reactions: jbcarioca
I agree with this policy for congested superchargers in SoCal, but it should correlate to demand in a particular area. For example, I've used the Tridelphia WV supercharger a number of times and never seen another Tesla vehicle. It's located in the parking lot of a hotel, up a hill from a handful of fast food and sit-down chain restaurants. If I want to grab a bite to eat it's a 10+ minute walk each way. If the service is slow I'm now penalized for it at the rate of $24/hr when I'm having no impact on the availability of charging spots. I realize a dynamic price structure for sitting idle at a charger would be very complex to achieve, but when my car is the only Tesla vehicle within 50 miles of a supercharger its impact on other drivers is zero.

I'd be satisfied with this change if they also stepped up enforcement of ICE vehicles in charging spots, which can have a much greater impact than an owner coming back to his vehicle fifteen minutes after charging completed. Tesla should sign contracts with local towing companies allowing them to remove any non-Tesla vehicle that's occupying a stall.

I agree with this policy for congested superchargers in SoCal, but it should correlate to demand in a particular area. For example, I've used the Tridelphia WV supercharger a number of times and never seen another Tesla vehicle. It's located in the parking lot of a hotel, up a hill from a handful of fast food and sit-down chain restaurants. If I want to grab a bite to eat it's a 10+ minute walk each way. If the service is slow I'm now penalized for it at the rate of $24/hr when I'm having no impact on the availability of charging spots. I realize a dynamic price structure for sitting idle at a charger would be very complex to achieve, but when my car is the only Tesla vehicle within 50 miles of a supercharger its impact on other drivers is zero.

I'd be satisfied with this change if they also stepped up enforcement of ICE vehicles in charging spots, which can have a much greater impact than an owner coming back to his vehicle fifteen minutes after charging completed. Tesla should sign contracts with local towing companies allowing them to remove any non-Tesla vehicle that's occupying a stall.
You already get plenty of warning as you approach your preset charge limit. If you think you are not going to make it you could always up charge limit to 100%.