Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm not strongly for or against it. I just wonder about the can of worms it opens up. Not just in the potential for someone not to know. Like if I let my brother or sister borrow my Tesla while forgetting to tell them. Or the people in the immediate future that charge without hearing about this.

Maybe something will come up on the screen when you plug in...

I worry that some people might try to game this by topping up to 100% when they really don't need to. That adds another 15-20 minutes?

Yup that is what will happen. I'm sure there are other tactics that folks will think up. The problem will be fixed ever so slightly then we will be back to square one when all the model 3's hit. The end result will be a slightly more of a chance you'll see a free spot when it would otherwise be taken and a considerable amount of revenue for Tesla as they enforce this policy.

Yup that is what will happen. I'm sure there are other tactics that folks will think up. The problem will be fixed ever so slightly then we will be back to square one when all the model 3's hit. The end result will be a slightly more of a chance you'll see a free spot when it would otherwise be taken and a considerable amount of revenue for Tesla as they enforce this policy.

That problem is fixed for the SW limited 60. There is no way to do that.

I do wonder in the future if Tesla will do more software limiting that way. To make the charging faster.

Reactions: MP3Mike
That problem is fixed for the SW limited 60. There is no way to do that.

I do wonder in the future if Tesla will do more software limiting that way. To make the charging faster.

Good point! I think this is a knee jerk reaction to the situation in California.

Here's another tactic; folks used to avoid charging in the same numbered SC, now folks that know they will take longer may purposely park next to you. We could be doing the right thing and get clobbered by someone who wants to take more time. Ouch!

While I support the idea, I think it could be implemented with more flexibility. For instance, the fee should only be invoked if a SC site is at least, say, 50% occupied. This will be frustrating in SC's where there are currently very rarely more than one Tesla and you're having dinner far from the chargers and have to get up half way through to move the car.

EDIT: @RK9090 - Was typing as you posted similar thoughts. :)

No. Because that opens it up to "Oh, there weren't other cars when I got there so I didn't think there'd be a problem."

Remember that it takes a long time to get to 100%.
Remember that the idle fee will be zero if you move the car within 5 minutes of charging being complete.

Fundamentally, this is about increasing capacity by stopping the use of the Supercharger as a parking spot.

But it's still free to charge. ;)

Reactions: mhan00
They just released a statement saying that if you unplug in 5 minutes after you charge then no fee. If not for every minute you are plugged in after full charge you will be charged a .40 fee for every minute plugged in.

You have 5 minutes to move your car after supercharging is completed. Otherwise, you will pay $0.40/min. Details are here:
Supercharger Idle Fee

For example, if you move 6 minutes after supercharging completes, you will pay $2.40.

upload_2016-12-16_19-12-17.png

Good move, Tesla!

Do share some concerns echoed above, particularly about having to plan to get back to the car in time while having to walk all the way back from a distant outlet store in Gilroy/Vacaville/Folsom/etc., potentially getting up in the middle of a meal at a sitdown restaurant or losing a spot in the superlong lines at the Tejon Ranch Chipotle's and so on.

Curious if there's a legal problem here for existing owners - do we need to agree to some new ToS to allow Tesla to bill us like this?! Not that I would but, if some owners resist paying the charges at the service center, would Tesla send a collection agency after them?!! This could get nasty fast.

No. Because that opens it up to "Oh, there weren't other cars when I got there so I didn't think there'd be a problem."

Remember that it takes a long time to get to 100%.
Remember that the idle fee will be zero if you move the car within 5 minutes of charging being complete.

Fundamentally, this is about increasing capacity by stopping the use of the Supercharger as a parking spot.

But it's still free to charge. ;)

No, because you would then get charged since it filled up to over 50%. Could even easily have a notification in the app that tells you chargers have become mostly full and you need to unplug or you will be charged money. The parking issue isn't a problem for most of the SC locations across the US. I drove across country from Raleigh, NC to San Jose, and at every supercharger before Las Vegas we encountered at most two other Teslas, more often than not zero other Teslas.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Although I don't disagree with this, I do feel there should be some "common sense" factors. I receive my MX Tuesday and was planning on immediately leaving for a nearly 6,000 mile road trip the next day. Much of this will be driving across some pretty desolate areas such as Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, etc. I travel extensively and have been planning my Tesla for over a year, so I've been watching numerous superchargers that rarely have more than one car in them, most of the time they have no cars.

I feel Tesla should charge you IF you are done charging AND the station is half full or more. If you are the only car at a 4 or 8 charger station, does it really matter if you take an extra 30 minutes to finish your dinner? Tesla could easily send you a message that says, "The Supercharger station you are done charging at is now 1/2 full, please move your vehicle within 5 minutes to avoid being charged a fee." If that was then case, then no problem, I'll excuse myself from dinner and gladly move my Tesla.

Another scenario is I plan on driving thru the night on my upcoming trip and napping for an hour here and there at the superchargers. Obviously the 4 charger station in Murdo, SD isn't going to suddenly fill up at 3am when I'm the only car sitting there. Am I really hurting anything if I catch an extra hour or two nap while charging and keeping my car warm? I'd be pretty upset to be charged $50 in that situation.

A good friend of mine is a manager at a hotel here in Montana which has 4 superchargers, in the 16 months or so it's been installed, he's never seen more than 3 used and even that was only a couple of times. Generally IF it's even being used, it's only 1 or 2 cars. And those are his guests that are spending the night. Again I ask, are they really hurting anything? Should they be charged $150 - $200 because they left their cars plugged in?

I completely support this in busy neighborhoods during busy times, but at night (or even slow days) at typically deserted chargers I don't see the harm in leaving your car parked for longer than it takes to charge.

Great, great news. Should have been implemented from the beginning. I'd prefer it to be charged to your credit card, and make it $1/min after idling for an hour. There is no reason to ever leave your car at a supercharger after you've topped up.

Can't believe all the bellyaching about moving your car in the middle of dinner. Is it annoying? Sure. But you drive a $100k electric car. Get up and move it when you're done - your life is still pretty fantastic.

Last edited:
So what happens if I set 80% complete and the once it completes I change the limit to 95%. Will I be charged? Or will it reset. I can see someone building am app to auto increment until the owner gets back. Of course if they are at 100% then there is nothing the app can do. But it might help others rushing back to their car.

I am all for this fee. But I think they should be harsher maybe $1/min and temporary band for the next week or something if they exceed the 5 minutes.

Reactions: cantdecide
Good move although I'm hoping they add some common sense to it (i.e. only kicks in if sc is more than x% full...)

I wonder if they will offer discounted rates if you pay with a bank account rather than a credit card in order to improve their funding mix (inside joke for ex/current PayPalians here...)

Reactions: Shock-On-T