Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SC's in the cities are predominantly unusable, when I drove up to SF. Both times, I took the last open spot at the Dublin Supercharger at 11 PM and 4 AM! While all of the others throughout my trip in rural areas were empty!

I already have to wait for the charge and I am not willing to wait even more for a line of 5! I have never used any Superchargers within a 125 mile radius of my home.

I had to resist myself from leaving a "present" on the Jeep that ICED and double parked in front of the destination charger during my hotel stay.

Is the network ready for the Model 3, when you will have more drivers without garages rely solely on superchargers? When will the auto disconnect chargers be installed? When will parking adjacent to another Tesla won't result in a reduced speed? When will I get a custom sunshade?

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
The SC's in the cities are predominantly unusable, when I drove up to SF. Both times, I took the last open spot at the Dublin Supercharger at 11 PM and 4 AM! While all of the others throughout my trip in rural areas were empty!

I already have to wait for the charge and I am not willing to wait even more for a line of 5! I have never used any Superchargers within a 125 mile radius of my home.

I had to resist myself from leaving a "present" on the Jeep that ICED and double parked in front of the destination charger during my hotel stay.

Is the network ready for the Model 3, when you will have more drivers without garages rely solely on superchargers? When will the auto disconnect chargers be installed? When will parking adjacent to another Tesla won't result in a reduced speed? When will I get a custom sunshade?

...and this is with the aggressive idle charges in place.

Capacity issue?

Sunshade issue?

This is disturbing to hear at that time of night. Was it perhaps during the holidays? I was at Manteca several weeks ago and there were 2 spots available when I arrived. When I left, it was full. Never seen it full there and this was about the time when they first announced the idling fees. I thought that maybe some people straggled from Dublin over to Manteca. The more likely scenario is the holiday traffic as I haven't seen it remotely close to being full again.

If you don't agree with the concept that reasonable expectations on people's timeliness are dependent on the length and precision of an event, then I can see you not agreeing or understanding my point. But I disagree. At a short event like gasoline fill-up the expectation to return to/move the car immediately makes sense. I outlined how payment indoors is often allowed, so a couple of minutes overstay is normal even there. People are not machines, what is reasonably expected of them depends on the nature of the circumstance.

When the event is 10-20 times longer and completion precision equivalently inaccurate (stall sharing etc. can dramatically change charge time), it is perfectly reasonable from a humane point of view to allow for an equally longer grace period. Mind you, I would feel 30 minutes grace much better than 5. Even 15 minutes of grace, while tight, would still be more humane than 5 minutes.

AnxietyRanger, The debate is over ... Tesla has spoken and the 5 minute grace period is effective.
Time to move on to new topics
:cool:

To me it is as simple as this; If you waste peoples time unnecessarily after completing your charge you should pay.

Even as a complete Tesla newbie I know approx the minimum amount of time it will take to get to the desired charge level. If you plan to be back at that time you will never pay for any idle fees. If needed, set an alarm yourself 5 minutes before the minimum charge time and check the app what the status is then. If that is too hard, then stay with the car.

With even a basic respect for other people's time we wouldn't need idle fees. But as people have proven, we do need them.

This is the correct answer ... debate over, mic drop time :cool:

Reactions: KJD
This is disturbing to hear at that time of night. Was it perhaps during the holidays? I was at Manteca several weeks ago and there were 2 spots available when I arrived. When I left, it was full. Never seen it full there and this was about the time when they first announced the idling fees. I thought that maybe some people straggled from Dublin over to Manteca. The more likely scenario is the holiday traffic as I haven't seen it remotely close to being full again.

2nd week of January, 15 days after New Years. No holiday!!

• Informative
If you're paying $100k+ for a car and you're whining over idle fees for being inconsiderate, this isn't the car for you. And yes you are wrong as so many people have told you over and over again. That may not be the case for people still on ICE but for EV adoptors, that is the general consensus. Don't be an #evhole.

Personally, I think you are wrong and AnxietyRanger is right. I didn't sign up to be penalized at SC stations even if it is only a few dollars. It's not the money but the principal. Since you've been to Manteca you know those stalls are far away from basically all of the shops. It would be impossible to get to your car within 5 minutes. Supercharing is supposed to be fun, enjoyable, remarkable, and something to brag about. Not a nuisance and a chore. It's a penalty enough waiting in line for a free stall and then waiting again to fill up. Locals should not be abusing it, and perhaps the penalty should only apply to locals if they are idling and messing up someone's roadtrip/commute, but there has to be a better way.

Maybe one day the car can use Summon to get itself safely out of the stall.

I like the #evhole thing BTW. Might make it my license plate.

I must say @Krugerrand does often come accross as quite angry and aggressive.

If that is unintentional, I just wanted to note that it looks that way. Maybe a smiley there etc. could help to help us get the real feel.

Anyway, I think it is interesting to watch how Supercharger usage changes (if in any way) now that the new policy cars are being ordered and if Tesla stubbornly sticks to their policy or if they at the same time make changes people like me have suggested (e.g. credit card idle charges instead of annual SC charges).

Last edited:
Pulled into the Supercharger at Columbus, TX yesterday -- six stalls and not a soul there. Went to have lunch, got the notification that charging was almost complete. Food had not arrived, so I didn't worry about it. Got a notification that the charging was completed and to move the car. Huh? That notification is not going to be effective if they just send it out every time charging is complete!

Finished eating, and sure enough, 4 of the 6 slots were full when we got back to the SC.

At the next Supercharger stop, there was nobody there, again. The charge finished, and no notification to move the car. So is this how it works? Sure would have been nice to get some explanation.

They sure better waive my $8 bill at my next Service Center visit! ;)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Az_Rael
Remember the idle fee is based on occupancy when charging is finished, not on occupancy when you return to the car.

Why? If your car is sitting at a stall when others could have their experience improved if it wasn't, you should be charged. BerTX should be charged. His car was in a stall idle when the majority of stalls were occupied.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: BerTX
Why? If your car is sitting at a stall when others could have their experience improved if it wasn't, you should be charged. BerTX should be charged. His car was in a stall idle when the majority of stalls were occupied.

Thank you kindly.
I don't know why. That's just how Tesla wrote the policy.
Supercharger Idle Fee

I agree he should be charged. He got a notification that charging was almost complete even before his food arrived, so he knew it would be quite a while before he would be finished eating and be back at the car. He should have moved the car.

Jeez guys. Do you realize how this thread makes us look to any non Tesla owner who happens to read it? Where I live, you stay with your car at a dc charger ( we have two total) . If you must leave, you leave a note with your phone number and guessimate as to return. Just a matter of courtesy. Tesla owners here are perceived by some as rich Haoles. Not an image you want to encourage.

Reactions: KJD