TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Improving the Tesla Model S Alarm

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by zanary, Jun 21, 2018.

1. zanary

zanary Member

Back in 2005, I installed a shock sensor to the hood latch alarm of my old Infiniti FX35AWD primarily because the alarm in my old FX (like my Model S) only activates when a door, frunk or trunk is forcibly open, not when there is substantial motion detected.

With the help of a friend, we figured out where to splice the shock sensor into the hoot latch for the alarm. This means when the alarm was armed, an impact (light or medium) impact would be the same as the hood being forcibly open and would set off the alarm.

I've attached my original digram I created back in 2005.

The same shock sensor is still available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-504D-Double-Stinger/dp/B0009SXOTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529612359&sr=8-1&keywords=car+shock+sensor

I've attached my original diagram which we created in 2005.

Anyone know which wires that belong to the frunk alarm I could tap into to do the same for our Model S? Anyone have the wiring diagrams for the frunk latch alarm?

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. Exiom

Exiom Member

Subscribed... I would be very interested in doing something like this...

I don't have an answer but I would wager it would be a similar mechanism on our Teslas that detects open/closed hood.

3. zanary

zanary Member

that's what I'm trying to find out. On my old Infiniti, it was a push button mechanism, but I can't find anything for the FRUNK on my Model S. I'm still digging, but once If ind that mechanism, then it should be easy to do this, and I'll document the entire process for everyone else to do this.

A shock sensor is not going to protect us, but I feel it's a good deterrent, and should have been part of the Tesla from the start.

4. Exiom

Exiom Member

As part of the European package... there is a wiring for intrusion detection behind the microphone grill near the mirror... this is the wiring most people here use for dashcam and later by Tesla for mirror vanity lights I think?

Maybe there is something here can be utilized?

5. roblab

roblab Active Member

I've read that back in the day in Africa they had a lot of trouble with people running to your car at an intersection, pulling the doors open, pulling you out, and taking the still-running car. Some people ran copper tubes to the key hole area and attached an igniter on one end and a butane bottle on the other. Pictures show a four foot flame.

Way more useful than a weak sister alarm! But you don't want a dash cam video showing that in court.

• Funny x 1
  6. zanary

zanary Member

Hmm. That is interesting. My Model S has that cable, and I used the black 12v line to power my Blackvue 24x7 while the vehicle e off.

Are you suggesting that the other lines are connected directly into the alarm system, or you were just suggestion that I can use the 12v line from here for the shock sensor?

7. Exiom

Exiom Member

I actually have no idea... but as it is originally intended for a security package... I was just thinking maybe it could be... altho I don't know enough about it to test this myself.

8. zanary

zanary Member

Ahh. No problem. I spent a few hours today, and I think I'm getting close. I'm trying to make this a very easy DIY project...

More to come.

• Like x 1
  9. olibear

olibear New Member

I would also like to have a shock sensor added to my Model 3. I found a shop in Miami that sells kits. Unfortunately they haven't had any Teslas come in so the kit hasn't been fabricated.

Anyone in Miami want to letter car be a research project?

add shock sersor factory alarm

10. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

The frunk alarm wire is probably the same wire that turns on the frunk light. Tap into it there.

11. zanary

zanary Member

It is. I finally have found all I need for this project, and very close to having it completed.

12. Exiom

Exiom Member

Please do share your findings and parts required.

13. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

You will most likely need to wire a relay to turn the shock sensor off while the car is on.
    If you don't, the frunk light will come on while you are driving.

14. zanary

zanary Member

Ohh Crap. I completely forgot about that. In my old Infiniti FX, the hood latch and the security switch were two separate, so if the vehicle wasn't armed, the signal from the shock sense did nothing, but in this case, Tesla is using the hood latch as the security sensor, so you're right.

I completely forgot about that. This is now going to be complicated.

I plan was to using two IN4003 Diode, one attached to both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 from the hock sensor so that the wire from the hood switch would receive one of two signals, one from the latch itself, or one fro the shock sensor, but your right, while you driving, the shock sensor will constantly send a signal and the Tesla will interpret it as the hood is open.

So close... I guess I need to figure out how to do the relay to determine if the vehicle is on. Complicated