Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in 2005, I installed a shock sensor to the hood latch alarm of my old Infiniti FX35AWD primarily because the alarm in my old FX (like my Model S) only activates when a door, frunk or trunk is forcibly open, not when there is substantial motion detected.

With the help of a friend, we figured out where to splice the shock sensor into the hoot latch for the alarm. This means when the alarm was armed, an impact (light or medium) impact would be the same as the hood being forcibly open and would set off the alarm.

I've attached my original digram I created back in 2005.

The same shock sensor is still available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Directed-Ele...d=1529612359&sr=8-1&keywords=car+shock+sensor

I've attached my original diagram which we created in 2005.

Anyone know which wires that belong to the frunk alarm I could tap into to do the same for our Model S? Anyone have the wiring diagrams for the frunk latch alarm?

Attachments

• Image - Shock Sensor Diagram.jpg
    Image - Shock Sensor Diagram.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 337
Reactions: mmh
Subscribed... I would be very interested in doing something like this...

I don't have an answer but I would wager it would be a similar mechanism on our Teslas that detects open/closed hood.

that's what I'm trying to find out. On my old Infiniti, it was a push button mechanism, but I can't find anything for the FRUNK on my Model S. I'm still digging, but once If ind that mechanism, then it should be easy to do this, and I'll document the entire process for everyone else to do this.

A shock sensor is not going to protect us, but I feel it's a good deterrent, and should have been part of the Tesla from the start.

As part of the European package... there is a wiring for intrusion detection behind the microphone grill near the mirror... this is the wiring most people here use for dashcam and later by Tesla for mirror vanity lights I think?

Maybe there is something here can be utilized?

I've read that back in the day in Africa they had a lot of trouble with people running to your car at an intersection, pulling the doors open, pulling you out, and taking the still-running car. Some people ran copper tubes to the key hole area and attached an igniter on one end and a butane bottle on the other. Pictures show a four foot flame.

Way more useful than a weak sister alarm! But you don't want a dash cam video showing that in court.

• Funny
Reactions: Russell
As part of the European package... there is a wiring for intrusion detection behind the microphone grill near the mirror... this is the wiring most people here use for dashcam and later by Tesla for mirror vanity lights I think?

Maybe there is something here can be utilized?
Hmm. That is interesting. My Model S has that cable, and I used the black 12v line to power my Blackvue 24x7 while the vehicle e off.

Are you suggesting that the other lines are connected directly into the alarm system, or you were just suggestion that I can use the 12v line from here for the shock sensor?

Hmm. That is interesting. My Model S has that cable, and I used the black 12v line to power my Blackvue 24x7 while the vehicle e off.

Are you suggesting that the other lines are connected directly into the alarm system, or you were just suggestion that I can use the 12v line from here for the shock sensor?
I actually have no idea... but as it is originally intended for a security package... I was just thinking maybe it could be... altho I don't know enough about it to test this myself.

You will most likely need to wire a relay to turn the shock sensor off while the car is on.
If you don't, the frunk light will come on while you are driving.
Ohh Crap. I completely forgot about that. In my old Infiniti FX, the hood latch and the security switch were two separate, so if the vehicle wasn't armed, the signal from the shock sense did nothing, but in this case, Tesla is using the hood latch as the security sensor, so you're right.

I completely forgot about that. This is now going to be complicated.

I plan was to using two IN4003 Diode, one attached to both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 from the hock sensor so that the wire from the hood switch would receive one of two signals, one from the latch itself, or one fro the shock sensor, but your right, while you driving, the shock sensor will constantly send a signal and the Tesla will interpret it as the hood is open.

So close... I guess I need to figure out how to do the relay to determine if the vehicle is on. Complicated

zanary - how is the project coming along?

The way that Tesla uses the single sensor for the frunk made it very complex vs. my older Infinity FX which had two switches, one just for the alarm, and one for the actual hood. The Infinity setup, I plugged the shock sensor in to the hood alarm, which had no impact to the actual hood latch sensor.

As a result, I had to put the project on hold while I figure out another solution, but then....

I still want this despite Tesla is now offering a similar solution which alienates cars pre-Sept 2015

Elon released his Enhanced Anti-Theft system for the Model S and Model X (Model 3 coming soon and I'm hoping it will use the interior camera as well). I decided to purchase the Model S and Model X ones and they work pretty well. While they don't have a really sensitive shock sensor, they can detect tilt and interior motion and I've tested it out by leaving my dog in both the Model S and Model X and waiting the 2 minutes for the alarm to arm. It works with movement inside of the cabin from the back seats (and 3rd road for the Model X).

I really wanted a shock sensor especially for times where someone opens a door into your car
That's going to be difficult as you need to wire it in with an existing alarm door sensor that isn't dual purpose (ie, both an alarm trigger, and a open/close sensor). I think that will be the most challenging piece.

The problem that someone brought up on this thread is if I were to use the hoot latch sensor, then while driving if the shock sensor goes of, it will be reported to the Tesla has the hood has opened up driving, since it's a dual purpose frunk sensor.