TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Improving the XM Radio Interface

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Ed Hart, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Ed Hart

Ed Hart Member

I am two weeks into Tesla ownership. I already realize how critical it is to NOT be looking at the display when driving (and I realize why "blind feel" knobs served so well for decades!) With so many features and the desire for upgradeability, I "get it" on why the touch screen is a necessary choice, so I will learn not to look when driving.
    However, using XM Radio as an example, is is scary difficult to take advantage of the many channels offered. So, attached is a crude proposal to upgrade the XM Radio interface to make it quicker and easier to read (bolder typefaces) and more presets. Does anyone else feel the same way, and would you be supportive of proposing some kind of change to Tesla Motors??
    Thanks
    Ed Hart

XMRadioProposal.jpg

2. iadbound

iadbound Member

I certainly support more presets. I just cycle through my current set with the stereo controls rather than the looking at the screen. Thus, the extra screen items wouldn't matter much to me.

3. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

I would just like a way to increment or decrement by 1 (again). The left buttons used to do that but we all complained that there was no way to go through the presets from the wheel. So they changed it. It would have been better if they added the capability, as opposed to replacing (holding down the button does one thing she clicking it does the other).

If someone listens to 70s and 80s music, they have to store channels 7 and 8 both as presets (or use the screen).

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Agree, the XM radio interface could use some serious improvement. I find it funny that we're still using channel numbers on radio and TV stations.

5. bob_p

bob_p Member

With internet connectivity, they should also be able to provide a better program guide - especially for the sports channels - by providing the games actually being broadcast, rather than having to step through each of the stations to look for a specific game...

6. lsnetman

lsnetman Member

An alternative I used is to make a list of all my listened to channels, then add them in numeric order to the favorites list. If I want a channel not among the 6 presets I just select the favorites (heart icon) and scroll and pick from there, where their names are included with the number.

7. majorlance

majorlance Member

Hmmm, I think that Little Steven's Underground Garage should be a standard, hard-coded preset... regardless of layout. Or that may be just me. ;)

I *do* really like the idea of the presets laid out by the OP.

8. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Wow. By the sound of it all the posters in this thread actually have working XM radio. I can't use mine for more than a minute before the signal drops off and I get nothing but static.

You know how it has the three "signal strength" bars? I believe the signal is supposed to drop when you lose all three. Well, mine goes to static if I lose even one of them!

(I'm going to get it checked out the next time I'm at a service center)

9. bob_p

bob_p Member

Have not had any problems with my XM Radio reception - and I've had my MS for almost 2 years. My only complaint is the limitations of the XM Radio user interface - not reception...

If you're having reception problems - have the Service Center check it - you may be having a problem with the XM Radio antenna.

10. Mayhemm

This was my assessment as well; my experience seems abnormal.

Unfortunately, inspection will likely have to wait until Spring since I'm more than 2000km from the nearest service center and I doubt Tesla will fly out a Ranger for this. Relieved that I can hopefully expect better XM service in the future, though.

11. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

There is another thread where northern owners said they were having issues, which makes sense, given XM's satellite placement. A rep from SiriusXM offered to help: mailto:[email protected]

Sirius/XM reception issues???

12. Mayhemm

I'm actually subscribed to that thread but had forgotten about it. I'll try sending them XM a message since I didn't actually have my car the last time I posted there.

Thanks for the reminder!