Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving WiFi in my Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wifi connection was slow and dropped out a lot in the garage, so I put in a Google WiFi setup that helped immensely. I was seeing connection speeds ranging from 19Mbps to 120Mbps before, but am now getting a consistent 250Mbps+. YMMV with everyone's unique layout and there are plenty of other options to do the same, but this worked well for me: https://amzn.to/2ueP9Iq

Reactions: Kbra
I switched to Google WiFi as well mainly because I wanted to get stats on upload/download data to my Model S. But to the OP Point have a WiFi device close to the car is very helpful. I use the "nodes" around the perimeter of my house to pickup the outside wifi cameras as well. I believe other mesh systems would also work well but for the cost the Google WiFi seems to be very cost affective.

Google WiFi is amazing. And they look amazing (I have the 3 white ones). My son used to get about 30Mbps in his room and now he is getting 200Mbps+ with the same internet service. He hated it though because now I could schedule his "timeoff" so easily and I know exactly when and how much data he used on everyone of his devices LOL.

I didn't check if Tesla in the garage get faster data, but I did notice that I have a lot less software download failure since I got the Google Wifi.

I also recommend the Ubiquiti AmpliFi mesh setup. Helped my brother-in-law buy one, it's rock solid and amazing range even with just the main access point.

I've got PoE UniFi AC Pros at my house, but I'm lucky that my house came pre-wired with cat6 so I can just slap a server rack in the garage.
Yep go the commercial route, Ubiquiti is solid. I'd recommend running cat6 and a hardwired access point rather than using range extenders. With range extenders you need to overlap signals and they create more traffic on your wifi network, which is all shared bandwith.

I'm probably just going to toss one of these in my garage, but I already have cable there so it's a no brainer.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Uni...1417881&sr=1-3&keywords=ubiquiti+access+point

I also recommend the Ubiquiti AmpliFi mesh setup. Helped my brother-in-law buy one, it's rock solid and amazing range even with just the main access point.

I've got PoE UniFi AC Pros at my house, but I'm lucky that my house came pre-wired with cat6 so I can just slap a server rack in the garage.

I agree that Ubiquiti and wired is the best, but I'd don't have attic access and I'd have to patch way too much drywall.

For wireless, I really debated on the Google WiFi vs AmpliFi setup. The AmpliFi has great performance, more features, still a nice app, and local access from a browser without the app, but I settled on the Google system because it's simple, has the features I need, and has IFTTT integration, which I use with my SmartThings and Blink systems to arm/disarm, etc.

You can configure IFTTT so that when the car connects or disconnects from wifi it will do a thing. I haven't come up with anything useful for that specifically yet, but you get the idea. :)

Last edited:
I switched to Google WiFi as well mainly because I wanted to get stats on upload/download data to my Model S. But to the OP Point have a WiFi device close to the car is very helpful. I use the "nodes" around the perimeter of my house to pickup the outside wifi cameras as well. I believe other mesh systems would also work well but for the cost the Google WiFi seems to be very cost affective.
I do have 1 complaint with Google WiFi that I should mention since I recommended them. I use VPN L2TP to connect to my office. Have no problem connecting my iMac (w/ethernet) but I have a problem connecting my MacBook Pro over WiFI. It has worked off and on so not sure of the complete problem. It could be that it only supports 1 device at a time or it only reliably supports ethernet or it will support wifi connections but only if connected to one of the hubs. Others have reported this problem on the Google Forum and the answer is that they do not "officially support" VPN Connects even for Clients.

Other options for people who can't hardwire or where extenders are not practical are the 120v power line adapters (they are hit or miss and never amazing) but probably good enough to do things for your car (you would plug an access point into the output of one of them), or moca (I have not used it, however it was temping before I had good wifi).

Now this thread has me hoping to pickup a ubiquiti on prime day :)