Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In 6-seat config, middle-row seats need to be moved toward center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the 6-seat configuration is much better from a visibility standpoint and from a comfort/space standpoint (i.e. not crowded). I totally understand that it looks like someone just yanked out the middle seat (that's exactly what they did) and that it looks unfinished, but I expect there to be a center console available in the near future (from Tesla or from a third-party) to fix this issue. Perhaps that console will also have arm rests. So, that's why I feel that the 6-seat config is still the way to go.

I think the 6-seat configuration is much better from a visibility standpoint and from a comfort/space standpoint (i.e. not crowded). I totally understand that it looks like someone just yanked out the middle seat (that's exactly what they did) and that it looks unfinished, but I expect there to be a center console available in the near future (from Tesla or from a third-party) to fix this issue. Perhaps that console will also have arm rests. So, that's why I feel that the 6-seat config is still the way to go.
And, as a guy who grew up with a gap between his front teeth, I have to say I like the space.

Evannex had a center seat arm rest accessory for the Model S, hopefully they come up with something similar for the middle seat in the X. I called to try and change to a 6 seat config, but they told me it is too late to make any changes and the car has begun production... Happy in a way, slightly apprehensive in another. :confused:

Check out the middle row on a Honda Odyssey. The two outer seats adjust laterally. Apparently to accommodate for wider car seats.
The thing about the Odyssey is that it was designed for pure utility. It's an incredibly well thought out car. Those two middle seats don't only adjust laterally, they remove completely. As does the middle. As does the console. And all of it is pretty straightforward. The third row, which seats three across, folds into the floor with one hand, and comes back out with one hand. Tesla should have just copied a bunch of those ideas..

The thing about the Odyssey is that it was designed for pure utility. It's an incredibly well thought out car. Those two middle seats don't only adjust laterally, they remove completely. As does the middle. As does the console. And all of it is pretty straightforward. The third row, which seats three across, folds into the floor with one hand, and comes back out with one hand. Tesla should have just copied a bunch of those ideas..
Yes - I rented a minivan like this in Hawaii recently and it blew my mind how easy and well thought out the seat reconfiguration had become.

I don't have an X, but it seems like the direct 3rd row access (like Elon demoed in an early prototype) might be more possible with this 'pinching' of the 2nd row in a 6 seat X ?? At least for skinny people and kids.