Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In a AWD Tesla Model 3, why is the front and back motor different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the response! I don't think that is accurate though. The Model 3 has no induction motors. It's all IPM-SynRM motors, it seems to be a variation of:
82438934-5096-47E8-B01E-E6E599E5465A.jpeg

For those that use Teslogic - you can actually see when the motors are in use live in the vehicle, and as others have indicated here - for the most part unless you're demanding a lot of power and/or there are traction control issues in play - both the 3/Y only use the rear motors for propulsion and for regen braking.

Reactions: rpiotro
Yes. I made a dashboard to monitor motor utilization in real time and the dual motor 3/Y are mostly RWD unless they need a little extra. They are never purely FWD. Another fun fact is that regen from high speeds is generally rear only but from low speeds you will see it from the front.

Good real-world confirmation. Yeah the design favors rwd, with fwd added when needed, and also used more at low speeds since I think one of the "tricks" is that the two different motors are geared to slightly different peak-efficiency rpms so using more of one vs the other at certain speeds gives a few percent on miles/kWh

Reactions: bckelowna