Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In a state of shock!......"this happens often and we are frustrated at the sales team level"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This OP's story doesn't make any logical sense. Tesla has a price... it's set. Check it online and boom it's the price. There is no "negotiating for 2-3 hours" and "constant calls and texts back and forth"... the OP also won't give us the final price he says he supposedly got from Tesla "because things kept changing".... right... so he wants to hold Tesla to a final number but won't tell us because he says it wasn't really solid. I'm sorry, but the way Mobster writes confuses us... what did he pull on this poor newbie hire working at a Tesla store who is NOT commission based?

Reactions: Cyclone
It could be all about the trade in value. I had heard they were adding a further $7500 trade in value for the right deal. While not the $15K delta, it would matter.

It's not... from the OP:

. Per your question - no, eventually it had nothing to do with the trade in. That part is easy to set aside even though they early on apologized after giving me a "good news" trade in value only to cancel that out,and take less for the trade in - ok, no one likes to hear changes like that but I listened and agreed to their rational [custom wheels]

This OP's story doesn't make any logical sense. Tesla has a price... it's set. Check it online and boom it's the price.
On inventory cars this doesn't seem to be true. There have been a significant number of reports of haggling on inventory cars, particularly at the end of quarters. If its possible at the end of a quarter, its quite likely its possible anytime. I think the no haggling thing is a myth that Tesla likes to perpetuate to both make themselves look different, and of course to get more money.

OP, I think this is a list of questions for you

1. Did you put down a deposit and sign a contract?
2. What was the trade-in offer at the end of the night?
3. What was the trade-in offer next morning?
4. What was the price of the car at the end of the night?
5. What was the price of the car the next morning?

Please answer each of these with no more than 10 characters.

OP, I think this is a list of questions for you

1. Did you put down a deposit and sign a contract?
2. What was the trade-in offer at the end of the night?
3. What was the trade-in offer next morning?
4. What was the price of the car at the end of the night?
5. What was the price of the car the next morning?

Please answer each of these with no more than 10 characters.
Another to add to the list:
6. What was the VIN?

If he had a written price quote, it seems very, very odd that they wouldn't honor it the next day. Especially if he had to liquidate assets to meet that quote, I think he'd have a fair shot in court. This is one of those times that Tesla needs to give him the promised price and then fire whoever made such an error.

Reactions: brianman
Tesla is a 1000x better than dealing with a middleman dealer just seeing how much money he can skim off you buying the car you'd like to buy from the manufacturer.

But....

Tesla is a growing crazy company. I'm amazed how well run it is to begin with, but not surprised when something gets messed up.

Tesla is a car company. Just the nature of buying a car, especially if you finance and a bank gets involved, is always going to be a dicey proposition where you are not in control. Cash definitely helps this, but still... you love the car, you want the car... some people may take advantage of that.

The deal isn't a deal until you put a deposit down, sign a contract, etc. I never trust just getting a word from a guy. He may be playing you, or in Tesla's case, he may just have some wires crossed. So until you have it on paper, you have nothing from nobody.

But again...

Tesla is still a 1000x better buying experience than a dealer, that I never thought I'd see in the car world.

Thank god for Tesla, we may actually have a hope of ridding the evil dealerships from skimming money from the American car buyer.

:)
1. I agree. Every other experience I have had with Tesla fits your 1000x better.... You hit the nail on the head!
2. THIS experience: I did have a quote in writing...a deposit down...written out numbers AND they made a big deal out of "shaking hands" on the deal. (I guess I am an old fogy at 60+ years old....I have been in court rooms where judges have stopped testimony when it got to "shaking hands" and he asked both parties "Wait, did that happen? (yes)" Sound of gavel hitting wood...."You have a binding contract and I deem it a "Breach of Contract" to bait and switch. Next case!")
3. Yep, again Tesla has been great to deal with in my 4 years of experience with them. Hopefully the immense challenge of delivering so many models, servicing so many models, 400,000+ orders for the cool model 3....does not erode greatness. I have seen other visionary companies nose dive from legendary "quality and service" to legendary horror stories. No doubt we love our Tesla. No need to spend advertising money.....we all are asked daily for testimonials and we can talk for hours about the amazing experiences not only with this incredible car but also Elon and Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.