Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In a Tribute to Unsprung Weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great thread!

Here's our MYP fitted with 20"x10" Titan7 T-D6 Forged Wheel Set (squared), Machine Black finish w/ T7 centercaps & 275/40-20 Michelin PS4S Tires (squared setup). This setup dropped almost 70lbs from the stock 21" Uberturbines.

51504552241_02c2d4717e_b.jpg

51504552576_0b47a31f5d_b.jpg

51505263549_dac7c1c4dc_b.jpg

51505479475_09359ba49b_b.jpg
TOM!! It's Julian, I was the one with the Blue 2015 F80 M3 from Los Angeles!! I sold my f80 and got a Model Y Performance. Glad to know that you are working on Teslas now.

Reactions: tom @ eas
TOM!! It's Julian, I was the one with the Blue 2015 F80 M3 from Los Angeles!! I sold my f80 and got a Model Y Performance. Glad to know that you are working on Teslas now.
Small world, I remember you saying you were in the market a short while ago. Congrats on the MYP, hopefully - we'll be seeing you again soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpy1980
While weight is important for performance, you’ll take a huge hit in efficiency for having such an open-face wheel. I’ve yet to see anyone with lighter aftermarket wheels achieving similar efficiency as the 21” Uber wheels.

While weight is important for performance, you’ll take a huge hit in efficiency for having such an open-face wheel. I’ve yet to see anyone with lighter aftermarket wheels achieving similar efficiency as the 21” Uber wheels.
While there's no such thing as a free lunch, I'd even argue it was negligible at best. Unless you're exceeding your daily range long term - it's a non-issue.

Wish I weighed these TE's when I got them. But mounted same day since I waited so long for them and was too excited. They're 19x9.5 +34.

19x9.5 is ~22lbs.

Did the lighter wheels affect the ride quality much? How are the Ohlins?

Going to a 21 to 20 (taller sidewall) made for a much more comfortable ride, feels a bit more nimble as well.

I have a Ohlins kit in stock, more info can be seen on our website: Redwood Motorsports - Ohlins DFV Coilovers - Tesla Model Y

Reactions: cYnbios
Does model y performance have enough room to adjust alignment back to OEM setting with this much drop?

You can go either way. Alignment will stay within range, but we usually set up our cars to run a little additional camber.

Redwood does offer adjustment camber plates and rear control arms for those wanting a bit more adjustment range, but it's typically not needed unless you want a specific alignment setup or seeing track time.

You can go either way. Alignment will stay within range, but we usually set up our cars to run a little additional camber.

Redwood does offer adjustment camber plates and rear control arms for those wanting a bit more adjustment range, but it's typically not needed unless you want a specific alignment setup or seeing track time.

The answer is No, am I correct?
It would requires control arm/camber plates for setting back to OEM setting after the drop.

The answer is No, am I correct?
It would requires control arm/camber plates for setting back to OEM setting after the drop.

The answer is yes.............and either or. You are able to align back within the range if desired. We like to run a little more camber than OEM for better handling.

If looking to get back within OEM range, camber plates and control arms are not required.