Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In a Tribute to Unsprung Weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The importance of lightweight wheels is often overlooked in search of style and appearance.

But maybe you can have both, at least to a certain point. I think the Y needs at least a 20" wheel to look correct and even a bit of drop to square that.

So after much digging and tires sent back I'll tell you what I have found. VS Forged has a line of custom made wheels that are incredibly light, the VS02's in 20x10 weight 20.25lbs, the 20x9 fronts are probably a bit under 20lbs.

The 275/40/20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus is a touch under 30lbs, the 245/40/20's weigh 25lbs. These are the lightest tires that I have found in their respective sizes.

On a MYP this is around 20lbs of unsprung weight saved at each corner. All while filling out the wheel wells.

i-fXKTJ7D-X2.png

Those are sweet wheels. If I had not gotten a deal on some mint new Ubers, I would have gotten something similar for summer setup. I agree the Y needs at least 20s and maybe even 21s with some styles to look right.

The importance of lightweight wheels is often overlooked in search of style and appearance.

But maybe you can have both, at least to a certain point. I think the Y needs at least a 20" wheel to look correct and even a bit of drop to square that.

So after much digging and tires sent back I'll tell you what I have found. VS Forged has a line of custom made wheels that are incredibly light, the VS02's in 20x10 weight 20.25lbs, the 20x9 fronts are probably a bit under 20lbs.

The 275/40/20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus is a touch under 30lbs, the 245/40/20's weigh 25lbs. These are the lightest tires that I have found in their respective sizes.

On a MYP this is around 20lbs of unsprung weight saved at each corner. All while filling out the wheel wells.

i-fXKTJ7D-X2.png
What's the bottom line? How much did your 0 to 60 times improve? I was watching a YouTube video with a Y performance with Martian 19 inch and he was still getting 4.8 in the 0 to 60.

Unsprung weight has a huge performance differential in gas powered vehicles and even more so in electric. As we can witness in the video, except making your Y look like a camry with the 18's you can run 20's with a lighter tire.

Do what you want, this is how I'll be running mine.

The bottom line is that the wheels are 4-6 months backordered so we dunno but a 20lb drop in unsprung weight on each corner is very significant.

Unfortunately, their use of smaller circumference tires with lighter wheels clouds the performance issue. How much of the improvement is due to less rotational weight vs. a lower effective gearing due to the smaller circumference?

Reactions: gigawhat?
Unfortunately, their use of smaller circumference tires with lighter wheels clouds the performance issue. How much of the improvement is due to less rotational weight vs. a lower effective gearing due to the smaller circumference?

Yup -- that video of the MYP with 18" martians is super misleading. Kills me how often it's referred to. My guess is the difference was not nearlty as notable with same total diameter. Why not compare apples to apples?

Lighter the wheels the more efficient the car works, no? The main reason for the range loss in a MYP is the giant 21" wheels. So a lighter wheel should bring more efficiency/performance? Am I missing something here?

Lighter the wheels the more efficient the car works, no? The main reason for the range loss in a MYP is the giant 21" wheels. So a lighter wheel should bring more efficiency/performance? Am I missing something here?
Of course it should. But we are referring to the video of the MYP doing 0-60 faster using 18" martians. But my belief is that the smaller diameter tires had MORE to do with quickness improvements than weight, because they did not stick with stock overall diameter. Not saying light isn't better. Also efficiency is not always the case with something like a 19-20 martian vs a 21 uberturbine on the freeway. Start and stop traffic? of course lighter is better and handling too. But the aerodynamics of the uberturbine come into effect at freeway speeds and the weight is less an issue. There is a video out there of the MYP doing better on the freeway vs LR with geminis. There's always something on the internet to muddy the waters!! haha

Last edited:
A 2" decrease in diameter would be similar to going from a 3:55 to a 3:73 gear. It would be barely noticeable and certainly nowhere near a .3 pickup in acceleration.

I went from stock 20" wheels on my last M6 to forged 21" and dropped eighteen pounds per corner, the difference was night and day. So much so that I replaced the factory wheels on my Ducati with forged OZ Gass wheels and again, it completely transformed the bike. It's more than just acceleration and braking though they are greatly enhanced, it also allows the suspension to work more effectively.

A 2" decrease in diameter would be similar to going from a 3:55 to a 3:73 gear. It would be barely noticeable and certainly nowhere near a .3 pickup in acceleration.

I went from stock 20" wheels on my last M6 to forged 21" and dropped eighteen pounds per corner, the difference was night and day. So much so that I replaced the factory wheels on my Ducati with forged OZ Gass wheels and again, it completely transformed the bike. It's more than just acceleration and braking though they are greatly enhanced, it also allows the suspension to work more effectively.

What 21 forged wheels did you go with on the m6? I haven't seen many alternate 21s on the MYP.

A 21" light weight forged wheel for looks with a carbon fiber, snap-on aero for long distance would be sweet. :)

Reactions: Destiny1701