Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In an refreshed MS, where does the tow hook connect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your in the USA right? In the USA, even the old MS doesn't have a tow hook behind the nose cone. Only in Europe it did it seems.

Without the hook, there are just two key spots that the chains/straps have to loop around to pull the car up onto a flatbed instead. It also suggest using a big piece of wood you probably saw to avoid damage from the rubbing on the underside of car. I assume this is the same/standard with the refresh as well.

My December 2015 Model S has a tow hook in the charging cable bag. The owner's manual shows how to remove the nosecone and install the towing eye in a receptacle on the driver side of the cavity behind the nosecone. Don't know the answer to the OP's question, but I wanted to respond to the above comment. Perhaps travwill has a different Model S.

Reactions: Cyclone
In the pre-refresh Model S, some in North America got no tow hook and some got it. In the single motor model check under the Frunk carpet for the tow hook. In the dual motor model, you have to remove the whole Frunk liner to find it. later models have the tow hook in the UMC bag. If found, the tow hook screws into the bumper with a left hand thread.
Again, the OPs question is not answered yet.

Don't know the answer to the OP... I've only seen a couple of the refreshed S and honestly didn't look closely to see if there is a pop-out spot for it, or if it's relocated to one of the vent areas.

But early Model S did not have the tow hook. It was added for all cars once Tesla started European deliveries...

Just found out this week, reading the manual on the car's touchscreen in a showroom car with the salesman. If you are facing the nose, way down low to the right, at the end of the horizontal air intake or whatever it is that goes across the front of the car at the lowest nose level (sorry don't know what the call it), there is a small plastic cover that you are supposed to pop off, perhaps with a slot screwdriver. Approximately the same size as the charge port door. If you look closely you can see a small slot along the edge that appears to be where you wedge it off. There is a picture of it in the manual you get to on the touchscreen. Sorry I don't have a photo, it would be worth all these words!

• Informative
Reactions: fallen888
I just checked my refreshed MS (delivered in Vancouver, Canada in August). I found the cover and popped it off: all I see is a metal bracket with a slightly oval hole -- nothing with threads in it. I also don't have a tow eye in my UMC bag.

Mine is a 90D: should there be a tow hook or even a receptacle? I've read some MS's don't have the tow hook but not sure why and what regions do and don't have the eye (not sure why it isn't universal).

I just checked my refreshed MS (delivered in Vancouver, Canada in August). I found the cover and popped it off: all I see is a metal bracket with a slightly oval hole -- nothing with threads in it. I also don't have a tow eye in my UMC bag.

Mine is a 90D: should there be a tow hook or even a receptacle? I've read some MS's don't have the tow hook but not sure why and what regions do and don't have the eye (not sure why it isn't universal).

My tow hook was laying in the bottom section of the trunk and not in the UMC bag, took delivery about a month ago. Now having said that; no idea where it screws in :confused:

Here's how the tow hook mounts on the Classic Model S with the nose cone ... :cool:

Model S tow eye hook.PNG

I had a Tesla Store salesperson show me the tow hook location on the facelift version, but they had no idea how you now access the 12v jump terminals. On previous cars, the jump terminals are behind the removable nosecone. Anyone know where they now are and how you jump a car with a dead 12v ?

Your in the USA right? In the USA, even the old MS doesn't have a tow hook behind the nose cone. Only in Europe it did it seems.

Without the hook, there are just two key spots that the chains/straps have to loop around to pull the car up onto a flatbed instead. It also suggest using a big piece of wood you probably saw to avoid damage from the rubbing on the underside of car. I assume this is the same/standard with the refresh as well.

My December 2015 Model S has a tow hook in the charging cable bag. The owner's manual shows how to remove the nosecone and install the towing eye in a receptacle on the driver side of the cavity behind the nosecone. Don't know the answer to the OP's question, but I wanted to respond to the above comment. Perhaps travwill has a different Model S.

In the pre-refresh Model S, some in North America got no tow hook and some got it. In the single motor model check under the Frunk carpet for the tow hook. In the dual motor model, you have to remove the whole Frunk liner to find it. later models have the tow hook in the UMC bag. If found, the tow hook screws into the bumper with a left hand thread.
Again, the OPs question is not answered yet.

Don't know the answer to the OP... I've only seen a couple of the refreshed S and honestly didn't look closely to see if there is a pop-out spot for it, or if it's relocated to one of the vent areas.

But early Model S did not have the tow hook. It was added for all cars once Tesla started European deliveries...
I also don't have an answer for the Op, but since I personally hate when people "dislike" a post without stating why, I just wanted to say to @travwill that I disliked the post solely because of the misinformation. The other quotes identified the misinformation. I did not dislike the post to be mean or say that travwill was being mean. I really wish we had better options than "dislike". I would hit "incorrect" on that instead. :)

Correction to my post: there was indeed a tow hook in my bag and it does screw into the pictures area in the refreshed car.

FYI @mknox The battery post is under the shroud near the newer fuse box. It's a bit hidden but the red post is just near the fuse box. There's also a negative post near there as well. I'll try and post a picture.

Correction to my post: there was indeed a tow hook in my bag and it does screw into the pictures area in the refreshed car.

FYI @mknox The battery post is under the shroud near the newer fuse box. It's a bit hidden but the red post is just near the fuse box. There's also a negative post near there as well. I'll try and post a picture.

Maybe it's just me but after prying off that little cover for the tow hook, I can't get it to snap back securely -- I didn't break any tabs etc. I ended up inserting it as securely as I can then a little black Gorilla tape on the top edge holds it. I'll ask about it when I have the car in for the headlight buzzing issue.

To compete the (off topic, admittedly) location of the jump posts: it's hidden by the fuse box cover, and the cover has instructions on it as well. The big thick black cable comes off the positive post (I think it probably should be red for consistency, but there's a little embossed "+" just in front of it). The nearby red encased "250" isn't the jump post -- I suspect is the fuse for the high voltage contactors? You get the negative from any vehicle chassis bolt. In case anyone is wondering the little add-a-fuse in the second picture goes to the rear of my car with a constant on 12V lighter receptacle for a cooler, and other accessories.
IMG_9895.jpg
IMG_9896.jpg
IMG_9897.jpg

Maybe it's just me but after prying off that little cover for the tow hook, I can't get it to snap back securely -- I didn't break any tabs etc. I ended up inserting it as securely as I can then a little black Gorilla tape on the top edge holds it. I'll ask about it when I have the car in for the headlight buzzing issue. To compete the (off topic, admittedly) location of the jump posts: it's hidden by the fuse box cover, and the cover has instructions on it as well. The big thick black cable comes off the positive post (I think it probably should be red for consistency, but there's a little embossed "+" just in front of it). The nearby red encased "250" isn't the jump post -- I suspect is the fuse for the high voltage contactors? You get the negative from any vehicle chassis bolt. In case anyone is wondering the little add-a-fuse in the second picture goes to the rear of my car with a constant on 12V lighter receptacle for a cooler, and other accessories.

Thanks for the photos.
Regarding the 12V added fuse ... do you know about the jumper mod for constant 12V power to the front receptacle? :cool:

Ingineer said:

BTW, it's a simple matter to keep the 12v outlet in the console live all the time if desired. It's just a simple relay in fuse box #2 (the one on the passenger side under the removable cowling cover - see owner’s manual). Simply make up a jumper consisting of short piece of 14AWG or better wire with a couple of male 1/4" spade terminals. Pull the front most passenger side relay out and insert the jumper into the now exposed 1/4" female receptacles, and you're done, the 12v outlet is now on all the time. You can quickly change it back anytime by removing the jumper and reinstalling the relay.

12v jumper 2.jpg
12V jumper.jpg

Thanks for this, and for the photos, but how does that help when the 12v is dead? Is there now a way to open the frunk from outside when there is no power? With the old design, you popped the nose cone off, used the jump terminals and then you could get in the car (need 12v to extend the handles/operate the door relays) and take the eBrake off so you could tow the car. I'm not clear how you do that now.

Thanks for this, and for the photos, but how does that help when the 12v is dead? Is there now a way to open the frunk from outside when there is no power? With the old design, you popped the nose cone off, used the jump terminals and then you could get in the car (need 12v to extend the handles/operate the door relays) and take the eBrake off so you could tow the car. I'm not clear how you do that now.
Yes, there is. It was discussed in another thread, and some people don't want the location discussed publicly. Your delivery person should have told you how to use it. Also, the book in the glove box of my Aug build is still the nose cone book, so it is useless for info. Pm me if you want the info.

There is, but it is not shared in public forums for security reasons.

Yes, there is. It was discussed in another thread, and some people don't want the location discussed publicly. Your delivery person should have told you how to use it. Also, the book in the glove box of my Aug build is still the nose cone book, so it is useless for info. Pm me if you want the info.

Thanks, guys. Makes sense, I guess. I have an older car, so it is not an issue for me... just a curiosity. I was at a Tesla store (Toronto) and the sales guy had no idea. He even called out others and no one seemed to know the answer there. I didn't get the impression they were "bluffing" and so was left wondering if this was an oversight.