Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In cabin camera use verified!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving along using AP, and I hate the nag screen when it doesn't sense torque on the wheel, so when I needed to open a bottle I used my knee to keep torque applied to the wheel... and when the camera saw my hands off the wheel it gave two swift beeps and flashed something on the screen. I was able to repeat this with just my empty hands held in front of my chest. I then made the following video:

In it, I repeat the events but holding my cell phone in front on my chest in camera view while videoing the infotainment screen. As you can see, I don't get the gradual buildup of a silent written warning to apply torque, followed by a silent flashing blue at top of the screen along with the order to apply torque to the wheel. I get two beeps and the "apply torque to wheel" flashes on the screen for a split second and then goes away. It only stayed on the screen long enough for me to read once out of the several times I tried this.

I continued to experiment and it stopped happening... not sure if it only reacts to a few events while in Beta or what.

Keith

What are you basing this on?
The interior camera is a safety feature, if you purposefully disable a safety feature and get into an accident youre gonna have a heck of a time explaining to the insurance/warranty that they should cover you when you purposefully disabled something that would have possibly prevented the accident.

I know the concept is a little different but the safety feature point remains the same: If you purposefully disable your airbags (just for example) and then get in an accident and hurt yourself because the airbag didnt deploy the insurance is going to say "its your fault for disabling the air bag. If you had used the car in the correct way you wouldnt have gotten hurt."

• Disagree
Reactions: Jack_178 and Saxgod
The interior camera is a safety feature, if you purposefully disable a safety feature and get into an accident youre gonna have a heck of a time explaining to the insurance/warranty that they should cover you when you purposefully disabled something that would have possibly prevented the accident.

I know the concept is a little different but the safety feature point remains the same: If you purposefully disable your airbags (just for example) and then get in an accident and hurt yourself because the airbag didnt deploy the insurance is going to say "its your fault for disabling the air bag. If you had used the car in the correct way you wouldnt have gotten hurt."
Actually I believe that legally they rest on the Federal Code which makes it illegal to modify any safety device that is installed to "comply with federal safety code." Since FSD is not in the code you can disable any part of that, you can be subject to reckless driving charges, but not to a violation of the safety code. In the same way there are switches to disable lane departure assist, etc.

Even if I recklessly drive drunk into a tree, insurance has to cover it. They may drop me like a hot potato AFTER the claim, but if I'm insured they have to pay, unless I intentionally steered the car into the tree and had the mental capacity to understand my action.

So, if I understand correctly, the camera does additional nagging if it detects your hands are not on the wheel, and you still have the 40-second nag to apply torque? I was hoping at least the TBN (time between nags) would be pushed higher.
In any case, I would prefer that the camera uses its processing power to detect that I'm paying attention to the road in front of me instead of checking my hands. I would love to be able to let go of the wheel, while staying attentive.

I'd like to setup a gofundme for you to buy some windshield cleaner.
Feel free, but it wouldn't help. :)

I am surrounded by rice fields and they are rampant breading grounds for Mosquito's and other flying insects. Many people say that ceramic coating is a luxury, but unless I want the front of my car to always look like my windshield does in the video I need to ceramic coat it so the bugs will wipe off.

Keith

What are you basing this on?
Absolutely nothing, say it again!

You will see claims on internet forums that everything and nothing will void your warranty and / or result in your arrest by Space X private security patrolling in murdered out Model X's You want entertainment look in the "battery and charging" section and watch these people flip out about building and electrical code!

Keith

Last edited:
So, if I understand correctly, the camera does additional nagging if it detects your hands are not on the wheel, and you still have the 40-second nag to apply torque? I was hoping at least the TBN (time between nags) would be pushed higher.
In any case, I would prefer that the camera uses its processing power to detect that I'm paying attention to the road in front of me instead of checking my hands. I would love to be able to let go of the wheel, while staying attentive.

That has been my experience. The "camera nag" is very poorly implemented at this time, not even up to Beta testing standards. The visual is two red hands instead of the normal color, and instead of saying to put your hands on the wheel it still says to apply torque to the wheel... The audio warning is two annoying beeps, and the visual warning is so short that you will literally not see it unless you are looking at the screen instead of paying attention to the road. For a camera based nag it should just tell you to put your hands on the wheel, and it should leave the message on the screen for long enough to be read by the driver.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Funny... I'm on the latest firmware and mine does not behave this way at all. I tried everything.. holding up both hands, looking down as if I was reading my phone. Literally turning around in my seat. No nags, no nothing.

Really weird thing is that it stopped doing it after several events in a row... hasn't done it since the video, but I have not been trying to trigger it.

Keith

I have to do more testing, but driving on NoA this week, I went several minutes without touching the wheel at all and received no nags. Usually it nags me about every 40 seconds and if I do the scroll wheel trick (instead of torquing the wheel) it will eventually ignore those and require the torque. I would love for the camera to be the sole determinant of driver attention as I'm always keeping a close eye on what the car is doing. FSD (or NoA) is not a relaxing experience. I find it a lot like driving with a teenager (on their first attempt at highway driving).

My camera is blocked by on of these at all times. Webcam Cover 0.03in Ultra Thin (3 Pack), iRush Web Camera Cover for Laptop, Desktop, PC, Macboook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, Computer, Smartphone, Protect Your Privacy and Securtiy, Strong Adhensive : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Latest software and no nags. Tried it with a steering weight and no issues for over an hour. Even looked behind the seat and away many times to test to see if it would set off something, nada. Are the camera nags coming up on cars with radar or only cars with camera vision?