Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-car browser to get updated to Chromium!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior to V9 I had camera on top and Tesla Waze at the bottom. Post V9 you can't have that combo anymore and web browser is slow as molasses and freezes after few minutes. So any updates are welcome but the question is will MCU1 get it?

Reactions: bollar
Elon's tweets are a combination of:

A) The team is actively working on something; he's providing an accurate status update.
B) The team is actively working on something and he's providing a wishful estimate on its release.
C) Nobody at Tesla is actually working on it currently, but it's on the list to "get to" when not everybody has to deliver vehicles.
D) Elon has just recently (maybe within the last few minutes) decided "it shall be."

Most fall into B and C.

I like it for when you're parked/waiting for something/someone - I always try it but then end up going to my phone instead, out of frustration for the slow speed. If it works better with Chromium, I will likely get more use out of it!
I like the comment above about sports scores and 30-second refresh.

I [try to] use my browser for the following reasons:

TeslaWaze - When on long trips
FlightAware - When picking people up at the airport
Sports scores - When trying to monitor a game
Radar - When weather does not look too friendly, or I'm on a trip and trying to figure out what weather is ahead
The occasional Google search...

Mostly I reach for my phone since it's faster and easier than the screen.

I really hope there's a way to integrate uBlock now. Would certainly help with resource usage in the browser. I hate browsing on my phone because after so many years of using adblockers, I forget how crappy most sites are without it.

I'm a bit confused what he is referring to. I thought you could already upgrade the MCU if you were willing to pay thousands of dollars for it. Is this some kind of special program for it? Or a new new MCU?

You might be thinking of autopilot hardware 3.0, which comes with the full self driving option.

MCU 2 came with all model S and X cars manufactured after around March of 2018. Musk has indicated an upgrade option would be offered for earlier builds. No specifics given.