Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-car browser to get updated to Chromium!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those thinking this is a double-exclamation-point good news tweet, insert chrome RAM meme here.

Hell. I’ll do it for you.

97AB7405-E1AC-40B4-B12B-E8A1DD0F3C95.png

There is a hold on MCU upgrades and replacements because a revision is on the way.
I think you are confused. There is a hold on replacing MCU LCD Screens that have issues (specifically the yellow band around the edge) due to an issue with the existing design. Supposedly this is being corrected in a newly designed/procured screen which will be available "this summer." That is not the MCU computer (which is either MCU1 or MCU2 depending on when you got the car). To the best of my knowledge, no one has had an MCU computer upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2...

I want assurances we can block Google unless actually using the browser.

If using their product so be it but I don't use the browser it's with mu MCU1 and knowing Google they are expecting to track you 24-7 period.
Wow, who made the disastrous career choice to go to work for Google and have to watch what I do all day? What a boring job THAT would be!:eek:

Reactions: darxsys
One thing that would be awesome is if you could use internet audio or at least one of the web apps that lets you control Apple Music. Right now I only use the browser to look up random info while at stoplights, but this only happens after I reset the mic and the browser actually works

Oh interesting, I could have sworn I've seen people mention doing it (but it costing like $4.5k). Maybe it was their MCU1 had failed and they had to have one replaced out of necessity? Either way that's helpful to know, thank you!

I've had my MCU1 replaced, but that was under warranty. Anyone who has had theirs replaced (either warranty or paying for it) has had like replaced with like. I'm not sure exactly how much a replacement MCU costs, but I don't think it's as much as 4.5k. I think it's around 2-3k.

You might be thinking of autopilot hardware 3.0, which comes with the full self driving option.

MCU 2 came with all model S and X cars manufactured after around March of 2018. Musk has indicated an upgrade option would be offered for earlier builds. No specifics given.

Back when I was still searching for pre-owned MS's I saw one 2012 MS where the owner described in the features that they had had the MCU replaced/updated under warranty. They then mentioned that the LTE modem was so much faster. Very likely this person was confused and thought a 3G->LTE upgrade meant the whole computer was upgraded.

Reactions: BHCLUC
Under v9, thebrowser in MCU 1 car is near complete useless. Even Tesla Winds won’t update because there just isn’t enough CPU power with the inefficient software now that the map is running. You will have some hope of and only if you load the sketch pad in the background so the map is not rendering. Put blanking the screen with a Easter egg feature just so a main ljne feature would work is silly.

I hope something can be done for MCU 1 people.

I have a 2015 70D w/ MCU1. I find that since latest v9 (currently, on 2018.50.6), my browser regularly freezes/becomes completely inoperative. This is aside from the normally pathetically slow browser performance* since day 1, when it's actually working.

by "regularly", I mean the browser seems to freeze up every few days, since v9. Never noticed this happen before v9. A reboot is required to get back to normal glacial-speed browsing.

by "inoperative", I mean you can scroll through and pick a favorite but absolutely nothing then happens in the browser window - no excruciatingly slow advance of the progress bar that you've come to expect. No response if you tap on the URL bar to try to type. No response if you click to refresh the current URL. Nothing. just a blank window staring back forever, until you reboot

* btw, yes about a year ago there was an update that improved the browser speed a bit. The benchmark numbers did improve a bit after that update. But in practice, still painfully slow and almost unusable.

I hope this promise of a new browser will include fixing this for MCU1 cars

sorry.. missed the rolling eyes part.
Way-points were supposed to be here..soon.. a long time ago..:rolleyes:
I wonder what happened to Waypoints, it was supposedly in the alpha builds of v9 before it was removed prior to public release. I haven't heard anything about it since o_O

Odd since technically Tesla Navigation with Supercharging stops are technically waypoints. I wonder why it has been taking so long