Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-car browser to get updated to Chromium!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
waypoints coming too

Source?

Nice. As a result, I wonder if they will enable video playback (i.e. YouTube) on it. That'll get the NHTSA's panties all bunched up.

Highly unlikely. There's no way they want to foot that bandwidth bill, even setting aside all the other follow-on effects.

I'm not even expecting them to allow audio (but mein gott being able to use the audible.com cloud player would be a boon)

How cool!

Out of curiosity, what do most people actually use their browser for?

Finding myself driving on Sundays during football, I can leave it on the ESPN NFL Scoreboard page and can see the vast majority of the games/scores (and it automatically refreshes every 30 seconds). So when waiting at a traffic light, all I have to do is glance over and see the updated score without needing to do anything.

Maybe I'll actually start using the browser when this change comes. I've maybe tried the browser in my 3 a total of 4 or 5 times and basically give up after 2-3 minutes of using it.

I don't have a smart phone, so it's my only browser. Even then, I still rarely use it. I check flights when picking up people at the airport. I might look up local stores or restaurants to see if they're open when supercharging at odd hours. I would use it more if it were much faster.

Isn't that the basis of Apple's Safari ?

Safari is a good browser, yet the Tesla browser is slow. I would not be quick to presume that Chromium in the car is going to be as good as Chrome in a computer or phone.
Yes, but I don't know how old the version is. Might be well over six years old. I agree that it might not be much faster.

Reactions: APotatoGod