Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-car cell phone issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. About six weeks ago, I started to encounter an issue with my cell phone (which I believe happened after an update - there is has since been one more update but it didn't correct the issue).

Basically, when I get into the car, either my first call in or out, will connect but I cannot hear the other party (they can hear me, but I can't hear them). If they call me right back, the connection will be fine on the second call or any call after the first.

Same thing for outgoing calls, if I initiate the call, the person I am calling can hear me, but I can't hear them. If I hang up and call back, everything is fine. It ONLY happens on the first call. I can make 5 more calls with NO issues but if I leave the car and the phone gets disconnected and then I get right back in and the phone has to reconnect, the first call thing happens again.

What I have been doing is getting in my car and calling an automated line (where I know I am not getting a live person) and I just hang up once the phone is connected, so I know my phone will be good to go if I get an incoming call or have to make an outgoing call.

I have a Samsung S9+ and my car is running 2018.42.3 eb373a0.

Any thoughts or has anyone else encountered this issue?

I have the same phone and am having the same issues. I don't get a lot of calls so I didn't know about it only having issues with the first call. So thanks for that info. I have tried turning off Bluetooth on the phone and back on but it only helps sometimes. If I am on a call(using just the phone) the car will eventually connect back up and everything is back to normal.

I had this happen to me a couple days ago with my Pixel 2. I rarely make/receive calls, so I never noticed before. The person who called me said they could hear me trying to talk to them, but I could not hear them. That was probably my first in car call since V9 came out in October.

My husband (MS and after update to 42.2) has experienced this same issue as described by OP. In fact most recently last night when he was calling to say he was coming home. Kind of a running joke lately with him saying "Can You Hear Me? I can't hear you" And I can always hear him at my end. He has an iPhone XS so it sounds like an across the board issue.

Interestingly I don't seem to have this problem on calls in my Model 3 on 42.4.

I had this happen to me a couple days ago with my Pixel 2. I rarely make/receive calls, so I never noticed before. The person who called me said they could hear me trying to talk to them, but I could not hear them. That was probably my first in car call since V9 came out in October.
Haha, that was my thought -- I wouldn't have a clue if I had this issue. No calls in or out.