Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

in-car charging controls being wonky?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
Noticed recently that the in-car controls to Stop charging and unlock chargeport is really wonky and unreliable. Anyone else?

I haven't traced exact behavior, but basically the Stop Charging function lags, or doesn't respond, of it stops charging and recharges immediately, or most often it is grayed out and unavailable.

Same thing for Unlock charge port. Often I can't stop the charge, so it doesn't allow dthe Unlock function. But even when the button is selectable it doesn't respond.

Using the phone app is much more reliable.

This is using 3rd party AC chargers, with their own built in Type 2 cable, or my own Type 2 cable, and hence no handle button that can trigger the stop+unlock like the SC, HPWC, or OEM L1 WC has.

Reactions: Mickeyflea
Experiment with different techniques for tapping the screen.

Sounds to me like you are "fat fingering" (as it is called) the touchscreen. I have this problem on the smartphone if I use my thumb instead of my index finger. Many people have index fingers wider than my thumb.

Buttons not responding, or you tap twice because you are used to tapping multiple times and it ends up taking both touches - these are typical touch screen problems. You need a light tap with the thinnest part of your index finger, and wait before trying a second time.

A good smartphone will have a more accurate touch screen, that is probably what you are experiencing.

Experiment with different techniques for tapping the screen.

Sounds to me like you are "fat fingering" (as it is called) the touchscreen. I have this problem on the smartphone if I use my thumb instead of my index finger. Many people have index fingers wider than my thumb.

Buttons not responding, or you tap twice because you are used to tapping multiple times and it ends up taking both touches - these are typical touch screen problems. You need a light tap with the thinnest part of your index finger, and wait before trying a second time.

A good smartphone will have a more accurate touch screen, that is probably what you are experiencing.

Doesn't occur anywhere else in the car computer though. Or keep the button states inactive while the car is charging (when phone app has same buttons active)

Figured it out for one local L2 charger.

When I hit stop on the computer, it automatically unlocks the chargeport. But the unlocked state only persists for 3 seconds or so, because the charger triggers the car to resume charging.

When the car is reinitializing charging - for 15 seconds or whatever until it ramps up to full power of OBC - it won't allow you to abruptly stop.

So basically, for this particular charger, when u want to stop, yank the cable the **** out quickly

The 'Stop Charging' button on my screen is also not working. Tried soft and hard resets but no joy. It will stop if you slide the charging limit to less than the current charge level but you can't do this if your charge is under 50%.

I don't get a 'gap' where I can yank the cable out

ive gone back to this charger a few times, and its NOT simply the fact that "stop charging" is disabled while charge is ramping up....

many times the stop charging button is simply disabled from in car computer, but is enabled from mobile app.

The 'Stop Charging' button now doesn't work and the 'Unlock Chargeport' doesn't show unless a scheduled charge is completed. But the 'Unlock Chargeport' icon on the picture of the car was working and so could use that.

I cannot remove the cable if under 50% charge

That now also seems to have stopped working. Have scheduled a service to try to resolve.