Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-car Trip Planner vs EV Trip Planner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can do this, set your destination as normal, then touch the bottom portion of the turn log (see first picture below). This shows you the round trip estimate as demonstrated in the second picture.
View attachment 181637 View attachment 181638

Appreciate the tip! I am anxious to try this. Odd that they didn't make the option more obvious.

Edit: I got excited enough to go out and have a driveway moment and try this feature. i followed your directions exactly. When I click at the bottom of the turn log, the same window appears as your photo of the destination, but I don't get the round trip report. I tried a destination 190 miles away, 80 miles away, and 10 miles away. None had the round trip info. Maybe I have older software??

Last edited:
Appreciate the tip! I am anxious to try this. Odd that they didn't make the option more obvious.

Edit: I got excited enough to go out and have a driveway moment and try this feature. i followed your directions exactly. When I click at the bottom of the turn log, the same window appears as your photo of the destination, but I don't get the round trip report. I tried a destination 190 miles away, 80 miles away, and 10 miles away. None had the round trip info. Maybe I have older software??
Sorry, I've got nothing for you here -- I'm on the latest firmware and I can't think of any other possible differences.

The round-trip estimate only appears on trips without planned SuperCharger stops -- if you have those, the display shows the estimated %age remaining at the next supercharger.

For example: Houston, TX to Centerville, TX can be done in one leg and touching the trip summary shows a round-trip estimate of 5% remaining. Houston to Fairfield, TX is still one leg, but shows the round-trip as infeasible. Houston to Irving, TX requires a SuperCharger stop in Corsicana -- in that case, only the percent remaining to get to the SuperCharger is shown.

The round-trip estimate only appears on trips without planned SuperCharger stops -- if you have those, the display shows the estimated %age remaining at the next supercharger.

This sounds perfectly appropriate for my trip. I wanted to make it from one supercharger back to the same supercharger.

Did you read the manual? It has been in the software for at least a year. Page 118. Tap the battery icon at bottom of turn by turn list.

Hmm. I thought TMC was the manual. ;)

In all seriousness, I have read the manual. However, there are so many new things that I'm trying to learn about that it's a bit much to absorb at once. I also made the false assumption that round trip planning, or adding more than one destination, would e a little more intuitive and discoverable by trial and error than clicking the battery in the bottom of a window. :|

With that said, it still feels like the software was built to have multiple destinations set by the user. I know when I plot a long trip it will set supercharger as waypoints. It just would be nice to enter your full trip into the planner.

• Funny
Reactions: VerityZooms
Hello, it's Ben from EVTripPlanner here. I have some time free over the summer, so I'm finally trying to support the Model X. It would really help me out if you could download a program which would send data about your car (position, speed, energy usage, etc), so that I could use that data to create an algorithm for the Model X. For the full details and a link to download the program, go to EV Trip Planner
PS- thanks for posting the link to the donate page @evp