TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

In case of accident, where to tow, and using which service?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by xanatos, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. xanatos

xanatos Member

Something that's been on my mind for a while and can't figure out. Hoping to see what people's thoughts are on this topic.
    In case of an accident that requires towing the Tesla, should one:

1) call AAA or Tesla Roadside Assistance?
    AAA is free as long as within the mileage limits they state (in my case 100 miles), but not sure if they are trained to tow Teslas.
    Tesla Roadside Assistance on the other hand obviously are Tesla experts, but it is unclear to me whether the tow will be free considering it's not really for an issue like flat tire or car breaking down.

2) where to tow it to? Tesla Service Center (Fremont in my case), Tesla approved body shop (maybe Brooks Motor Cars), or my own driveway/garage?
    Need to avoid places with storage fees like tow yards and police impound lots.

Curious what everyone thinks.

2. johnr

johnr Member

I was in an accident a few months ago, and waited for the tow truck so I could make sure it was loaded on right. Activate tow mode in the car if you can. Since it's an accident and not a breakdown, Tesla won't tow it for free. I'd suggest calling AAA and have them tow it straight to your choice of Tesla approved body shop.

Just because a shop is Tesla approved doesn't mean they'll treat you or your car well. I found this out the hard way. My car was sitting outside in the body shop's yard uncovered in 100 degree heat gathering dust for a week because the Tesla certified technician was away on vacation. After they finally repaired my car, I noticed missing pop rivets, misaligned body panels, a loosely installed A/C filter and swirly scratches in the paint. So, do your research ahead of time and pick a shop you can trust. Brooks Motor Cars sounds like a good one based on their reviews.

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

Tesla Roadside line first of course. They'll figure out what to do next.

Once you call Tesla Roadside line first, they'll figure out what to do next for your.