Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In defense of the old headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a Model 3 with the old headlights and a MYP with the new, I wanted to give folks who are still taking deliveries of MY LRs with the old headlights some comfort:

1. The old headlights look better (the new ones look generic and underdesigned, I think)
2. In my humble opinion, the low beams of the old headlights perform better
3. There's no guarantee any interesting functionality will come to the new headlights (especially in the US)

In other words, don't spend even a second being bummed out if your new LR has the old - just enjoy your incredibly awesome car.

Also, the sharper cutoff on the new can lead to eye fatigue on long drives at night. The softer cutoff from the older lights is a little easier on the eyes. I had an RX 350 with modded headlights that produced an insanely sharp cutoff with a nice blue cutoff across the top and they looked great, but I definitely noticed more eye fatigue at night over a long drive.

I agree the older style looks better in person.

I'd take the new headlights if offered, simply because matrix LED technology is incredible. But the regular LED headlights are also really good and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I also have no expectation that USDOT will change its rules on matrix headlights during the time I own this car.

Reactions: Gadget63