Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-depth comments on the Next Gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would appreciate it if you could summarize the points you make in your “long ass” video in a post on TMC, using words. Thank you.

If I put everything in the video in words on the forum, then nobody watches the video. ;-) Kind of defeats the purpose of making the video.

But short summary:
Next Gen Roadster: cool! destroys everything else on the road! prototype not fully developed yet! want one! too expensive! :-D

Reactions: bonnie
If I put everything in the video in words on the forum, then nobody watches the video. ;-)

But short summary:
Next Gen Roadster: cool! destroys everything else on the road! prototype not fully developed yet! want one! too expensive! :-D
Right. The point is not to use TMC as clickbait, but rather give enough info that IF people are interested, they can follow the link and watch the whole thing.

But short summary:
Thanks. I agree with your points. Considering how little we really know about the new Roadster, that pretty much covers it. It is certainly possible to discuss those points and engage in speculation (as I have certainly done in multiple posts in this forum) but I don’t need to listen to one person talk for 31 minutes about the same things that have been extensively debated here on TMC by dozens of people in just the past 11 days.

That said, I am glad that you are excited about the new Roadster. As am I. :)
So posting a video without extensive summary is considered clickbait now? :-o
Posting a link to a long video and saying nothing about it is indeed clickbait by my definition of the word. You are welcome to disagree.

Thanks. I agree with your points. Considering how little we really know about the new Roadster, that pretty much covers it. It is certainly possible to discuss those points and engage in speculation (as I have certainly done in multiple posts in this forum) but I don’t need to listen to one person talk for 31 minutes about the same things that have been extensively debated here on TMC by dozens of people in just the past 11 days.

That said, I am glad that you are excited about the new Roadster. As am I. :)
Posting a link to a long video and saying nothing about it is indeed clickbait by my definition of the word. You are welcome to disagree.

I do appreciate the feedback and do see your point and will take it into account for future posts. But for me, I'd like to get as much info as I can before making these videos, so I have a well-informed piece of information to share. I was lucky enough to be at the event, but other people saw or payed attention to other things that I may have missed. So I scout for info first so I don't bullsh** people with the info I provide.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I agree with your bulletpoints except the last one.

The new Roadster is a bargain for what you get. I paid about 150,000$ for the first gen roadster:

Now you get
- 3 times the range
- twice the number of seats (think kids or baggage)
- power, power, power
- bragging rights

We have come a long way.

It might be a bargain compared to other hypercars. But the point is that it is too expensive for me. Maybe I should have clarified that in the bullet.
As for the rear seats: any 2+2 seater that I know is even going to be difficult for kids to get in the back. I hope Tesla provides a bit more space to make the actually usable.

It might be a bargain compared to other hypercars. But the point is that it is too expensive for me. Maybe I should have clarified that in the bullet.
As for the rear seats: any 2+2 seater that I know is even going to be difficult for kids to get in the back. I hope Tesla provides a bit more space to make the actually usable.

Your absolutely right it is a better bargain than other hyper cars. It's also too expensive for me....(just because my wife say's it is). I actually don't believe that there will be enough room in the backseats for anyone. I mean look how hard it is to get in and out of a 2 door coupe with backseats. That's the reason I stopped by 2-door's a long time ago...

I think you are going to be disappointed in that regard. My speculation is that the new Roadster ended up as a 2+2 not because Elon really wanted two little seats in the rear but because to achieve the performance specifications desired the wheelbase had to be of sufficient length to accommodate the battery pack capacity required and that meant that there was some space behind the front seats and in front of the rear motors that wasn’t particularly useful for any other purpose. It could have been part of the trunk area but because the car is relatively low it would be very difficult to reach from the back of the car with the relatively small hatch open. I suspect that the “+2” happened because of those factors, not because it was a a desired target specification when the car was first conceived.

I actually don't believe that there will be enough room in the backseats for anyone
I think the 2 rear seats will only be suitable for children less than about 4 1/2 ft tall.

I expect them to be about as useful as the +2 row in a 911: meaning not very. :cool: But they could be a useful marketing “feature” when prospective buyers are evaluating the Roadster in comparison to a 911 or the upcoming Mission E.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Thanks for taking your time. For those who aren't into watching videos, the main takeaway is Tesla's extensive use of carbon fiber in construction of this Roadster's interior, body(!), aerodynamic pieces, and wheels!

Extensive use of carbon fiber is why I upgraded our reservation to founders. Tesla, don't disappoint us!!!

... that meant that there was some space behind the front seats and in front of the rear motors that wasn’t particularly useful for any other purpose.

First of all, this is not going to be a car you buy to take the family on vacation. And secondly, there are enough 2+2 cars that allow you to delete te rear seats an configure it with a parcel shelf for more luggage space. Maybe that will be an option. Who knows...

Thanks for taking your time. For those who aren't into watching videos, the main takeaway is Tesla's extensive use of carbon fiber in construction of this Roadster's interior, body(!), aerodynamic pieces, and wheels!

Extensive use of carbon fiber is why I upgraded our reservation to founders. Tesla, don't disappoint us!!!

Wow, you actually have a Roadster on order? Congratulations, man! You're making me jealous ;).
But on the other hand, I don't believe the wheels are carbon fiber. The brakes are carbon ceramic though. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the actual car. They are going to go all out on this one. This will be the halo car that trumps all other halo cars :D