Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-development: Inexpensive Custom BMS for Tesla Battery Modules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boo! Need a hand?

Unless you can solve the shortage of some general ICs and supply chain issues, probably not much to be done on it. I've paused development since every time I go to do a release candidate hardware build run a bunch of components are on half-year backorders. So I'll re-spec them or otherwise change the design, test things, get back to release candidate state and bam, same nonsense.

It's a pretty complex safety critical thing, so it has to be 100%. Can't be some Arduino with a jumper wire rats nest to a battery pack and call it good enough.

OK, can't do much about the global supply chain in my current role as non-King of The World 😕 Yes, I get that its safety critical and has to be 100%. I'm a Professional (Mechanical by background) Engineer and understand the difference between a prototype and a finished product.

The best thing I can suggest is just place those orders and wait the 6 months. Half a year soon disappears. For perspective there have almost been 12 half-years since this thread started.

I have a production version of my BMS in final development, just keeps getting delayed.
Sounds like this would be a great product for those of us that want to use the Tesla BMS boards. I need to make a final decision soon on choosing a BMS for a project that I am starting this fall that will use 16 Model S modules. Do you have an update on when your BMS may be available? Thanks.

Sounds like this would be a great product for those of us that want to use the Tesla BMS boards. I need to make a final decision soon on choosing a BMS for a project that I am starting this fall that will use 16 Model S modules. Do you have an update on when your BMS may be available? Thanks.
Shortages of common ICs and other components have caused me to have to modify the design over and over to account for available parts, and this resets the validation of the product, delaying things further.

I'm targeting the end of the year to have this available, but that could get pushed back depending on how things go.

I refuse to ship a rushed half-baked product that kind of works in an effort to scam folks out of a few bucks (*cough* like an Arduino based product "protecting" tens of thousands of dollars worth of batteries *cough*). Given this is something safety critical, it's not something that will be in a customer's hands until I consider it fully validated to be effectively perfect at what it's designed to do.

Check out simpBMS by Tom De Bree, based on work of many, (he is now based at UK's Zero-ev) I've used it with great success > in my 'Lotus Elon' :)

Problem I have with these open source BMS solutions is that they're based on hardware that's simply not hardened for this kind of use. Probably OK for a short term hobby project, but I'd never trust such a design to safeguard my home or other property. The bottom line is, all of the open source projects I'm aware of (and an oddly popular and expensive closed source offering) can fail in ways that allow use of the system while failing to monitor/protect/balance... making the system vulnerable and opening it up to potentially catastrophic issues. I wouldn't sleep with one of these under by bed that's for sure.

I actually have a customer who implemented one of the open source BMSs for Tesla BMBs on an 8 module setup and, um... his garage is a pile of ash now unfortunately. Root cause being the failure of the BMS to disconnect the system appropriately when an inverter-charger faulted and reset its charge parameters to defaults (too high voltage).

While an Arduino (or similar hobbyist grade) based piece of tech might be suitable for controlling some home automation or other trinkets, it's definitely not the kind of hardware you want securing thousands of dollars worth of potentially hazardous (if improperly managed) batteries that could be in proximity to hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) worth of property.

The only BMS I'm aware of that is truly capable in this regard is the Orion BMS. I've no affiliation with them whatsoever, but I know a well made solid product when I see one. The only downside with this setup is when using Tesla modules it does require removing/replacing the BMB on the module to provide direct access to the cells on the module to the BMS (at 057 we offer a breakout board for free when purchasing modules from us).

Eventually my BMS will be fully hardened for the application and be able to use either the Tesla BMBs, Chevy Volt "BMBs" (not sure what they actually call them), or my own custom cell connection boards. All of this will be production ready with automotive grade (or better) hardware built in a way where no failure can result in a vulnerable system.

TL;DR - Don't try to protect your property with cheap stuff not up to the task.

Yes, no SimpBMS setup.

I'm no longer using the TeslaBMS2 with the teensy. I'm using the Arduino Due with my fork of the TeslaBMS code. You can check stats and link to my code below:

LongDog Power Plant
I've just found this entire thread while looking at SimpBMS but nobody has stock in Europe. I don't need any of the other functions except monitoring/balancing the Tesla modules so it's a bit of overkill for me and your Due solution is looking good. However, I believe the Due is a 3.3V board, are you level shifting the Tesla TX/RX signals down from 5V?

I've just found this entire thread while looking at SimpBMS but nobody has stock in Europe. I don't need any of the other functions except monitoring/balancing the Tesla modules so it's a bit of overkill for me and your Due solution is looking good. However, I believe the Due is a 3.3V board, are you level shifting the Tesla TX/RX signals down from 5V?
Second Life EV Accessories, Used Contactors & High Voltage Fuses

and although orion is the expensive 'go to' BMS .. it also can cause problems, unless carefully wired up - as the tesla module balance boards are scrapped and each brick has to be wired. I like simpBMS as it uses the Tesla designed pcb's and bleed resistors controlled by just 4 wires (or harvested from the tesla battery pack) , hooked up to the simpBMS.. This KISS solution has worked for 1000's of miles for charge control and monitoring 5 tesla modules in LotusElon