Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-development: Inexpensive Custom BMS for Tesla Battery Modules

wk057

Senior Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
Hickory, NC, USA
Boo! Need a hand?

Unless you can solve the shortage of some general ICs and supply chain issues, probably not much to be done on it. I've paused development since every time I go to do a release candidate hardware build run a bunch of components are on half-year backorders. So I'll re-spec them or otherwise change the design, test things, get back to release candidate state and bam, same nonsense.

It's a pretty complex safety critical thing, so it has to be 100%. Can't be some Arduino with a jumper wire rats nest to a battery pack and call it good enough.

NiallDarwin

Right to Repair!
Jun 2, 2017
New Zealand
OK, can't do much about the global supply chain in my current role as non-King of The World 😕 Yes, I get that its safety critical and has to be 100%. I'm a Professional (Mechanical by background) Engineer and understand the difference between a prototype and a finished product.

The best thing I can suggest is just place those orders and wait the 6 months. Half a year soon disappears. For perspective there have almost been 12 half-years since this thread started.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC