Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-development: Inexpensive Custom BMS for Tesla Battery Modules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why dosent someone just take a simple BMS like this one that charges cells to 4.2v and make each cell group charge to 4.05v. A simple $20 BMS that works on its own is all I need. I have one Tesla 5.2kw battery sitting in my RV doing nothing while I'm using 420watts solar to charge my 12.8v 128watt lithium iron phosphate pack 4s bms. I have double the solar power waiting for the battery to be safe enough to use. I even have the 1000watt inverter 24v on standby.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190204-082122.png
    Screenshot_20190204-082122.png
    768.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20180628_163515.jpg
    IMG_20180628_163515.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 138
The small balancers you see around like the one you posted can work for manual balance management. Many of my RV customers use things like the Tenergy 5-in-1 combined with my JST converter boards (free when modules are bought from me). This way they can set sane voltage min/max on their equipment, and use the small device to manually balance the units occasionally.

You can't use them for high current protection though, not with the Tesla batteries. They're capable of nearly 2000A short-circuit discharge before the cell-level fuses pop... and a little $20 PCB isn't doing jack-s* besides catching on fire if that happens. You need real fusing for that.

Keep an eye out though. I've recently revisited this particular project and have an upcoming product. The 057 Mini BMS.

Reactions: llavalle
EVTV's is something like $2.5k for an Arduino, some relatively cheap hardware, running mostly open source software.

SimpBMS at least isn't a rip off, uses actual custom hardware, but still kind of expensive.

I'm going to have to release something at some point.

Oh trust me I agree, I currently have one and I didn't find out about the SimpBMS until AFTER I had already bought one.

Maybe if the first guy that tore apart a Model S battery pack wasn't such a slacker we'd have a third better option ;)

Had my intern design a BMS (runs on ESP32 "WeMos" board and "Link Node" board) that connects to the Model S modules and talks to the Tesla BMB's. Even talks to an phone app via bluetooth, if there enough interest I might release it.

Had my intern design a BMS (runs on ESP32 "WeMos" board and "Link Node" board) that connects to the Model S modules and talks to the Tesla BMB's. Even talks to an phone app via bluetooth, if there enough interest I might release it.

Definite interest here as I use several of those batteries in my Solar Power system. The BMS I am using seems to work fairly well, but it would be great to see what other have come up with.

I played with Collin's BMS software, got it to work, but for balancing reasons I moved over to Tom Debree's TeslaBMSV2 (a fork of collin's project).

I took a hard look at EVTV and SimpBMS (also made by Tom), but couldn't justify the cost with all the open source options available.

With some advice from Collin, Tom, LPG, and wk057 I've got a 90% solution working with some small changes I made to TeslaBMSV2. Still a little bit of finessing to be done with the balancing, but otherwise a solid build. If wk057 ever releases his I'll move over to that, Until then, it's all up and running.

You can see the output of the BMS running at LongDog Powerplant

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I played with Collin's BMS software, got it to work, but for balancing reasons I moved over to Tom Debree's TeslaBMSV2 (a fork of collin's project).

I took a hard look at EVTV and SimpBMS (also made by Tom), but couldn't justify the cost with all the open source options available.

With some advice from Collin, Tom, LPG, and wk057 I've got a 90% solution working with some small changes I made to TeslaBMSV2. Still a little bit of finessing to be done with the balancing, but otherwise a solid build. If wk057 ever releases his I'll move over to that, Until then, it's all up and running.

You can see the output of the BMS running at LongDog Powerplant

Are you using one of Tom's boards, or just his software? I am currently using the EVTV system and not real happy with it.

Out of curiosity, what's bugging you about it? I have one as well.

The software was crashing at least one a month taking down my system for no reason. Also one of the relay drivers on the board burned out. I tried to get a replacement board but they would only sell me a complete new package at full price, not just the I/O board. I passed on that.

Due to this unreliability I no longer use the relay control part of the system, just the software to monitor the cell voltages and temp's. Currently I am installing my own PLC based battery protection system and will be switching to "Tom's" control board for reading the Tesla BMS data.