Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Illinois you can't have vanity or personalized plates if you own an electric car :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when I picked up my M3 last year from the Service Center it already has regular plates. When I was asked couple times about M3: Is this a hybrid? Does it have a little bit of gasoline in case the battery dies? And so on...I decided to change my plates to ZERO GAZ. Wanted to do KICK GAS but my family said that it is too aggressive :) OK, cool.
Today I received a letter from Secretary of State that I won't be able to renew my registration and have to change my plates to standard plates for all electric vehicles that starts with EL. It literally says: " At this time, "EL" plates are not available as vanity or personalized plates". This is so stupid. Along with raising annual fee to $251. I'm pissed. :-(

Reactions: APotatoGod
So when I picked up my M3 last year from the Service Center it already has regular plates. When I was asked couple times about M3: Is this a hybrid? Does it have a little bit of gasoline in case the battery dies? And so on...I decided to change my plates to ZERO GAZ. Wanted to do KICK GAS but my family said that it is too aggressive :) OK, cool.
Today I received a letter from Secretary of State that I won't be able to renew my registration and have to change my plates to standard plates for all electric vehicles that starts with EL. It literally says: " At this time, "EL" plates are not available as vanity or personalized plates". This is so stupid. Along with raising annual fee to $251. I'm pissed. :-(

We are in the same boat.

However - I don't mind the $251 since EV's pay nothing as far as road repair is concerned. I know my view isn't popular, but I never mind paying my share about things I actually complain about. Yes - I send letters to Chicago and the Suburbs about their roads. I have gotten results.

Anyway. It would indeed be nice to personalize EV plates.

You should be happy that it's only $251. Springfield wanted to raise the yearly registration to $1000 and 251 was a compromise. We used to live in Illinois - As of last Feb we live in GA. I won't even take a flight that flies over Illinois now.

• Funny
Reactions: Azamat and TyH2009
In Georgia, if we want the EV privileges, like HOV lane access, we have to have the EV tag.
If we don't want the privileges, we can use any tag.

On one of my routes, we have a HOT (High Occupancy Toll) which can be at least $10 in rush hour, going past $15. I gave up my vanity, and went with the EV.
Yep, I will be sad to give up my current Auburn plates, but being able to use the HOV lane when I'm headed to and from the airport alone is worth the trade-off.