TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

In light of Model X options, did the shareholder "Vegan Uprising" succeed?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by anticitizen13.7, Dec 13, 2015.

1. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

#1 anticitizen13.7, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    While browsing YouTube for elusive new Model X videos, I got this "recommended" video, hilariously titled: "Elon Musk faces the Vegan Uprising at Tesla shareholder meeting (6.9.15)":

I believe that the 2 shareholder proposals were ultimately voted down, but I wonder if the proposals actually succeeded in part.

Model X has a "Ultra White" upgraded upholstery interior option, which is synthetic leather. The "Premium Interior package" (which includes the coveted bio-weapon air filter) only adds leather surfacing upgrades if an actual leather seating option is chosen (the tan or black leather). Opting for Ultra White keeps the entire car Vegan, even if the Premium Interior option is selected. This consistency is evidence that someone in product planning was paying attention.

It might be coincidence. Or perhaps Leilani Munter had some input, since she did convince Tesla to allow for a vegan Model S P85 option.

What do you think?

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

3. Noone

Noone Member

Seems likely the case. If this had been something they had planned longer it would have shown up in the Model S (maybe with the 'D's)

4. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

PETA approves.

PETA congratulates Tesla for offering 'all-vegan' Model X

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

An all-vegan option has been available for the Model S since 2013, upon request. (Thanks to Leilani, who insisted upon it for her car - Tesla made it available after that.)

Just an fyi, since people seem to think this is something new. I suspect, though, that PETA's efforts has made it *almost* a selectable option when configuring. You still need to request 'all vegan' with Tesla, or you'll get a leather steering wheel, etc.

It's not clear that selecting 'ultra white seats' results in a vegan selection for seating. Nothing in the Design Studio about synthetic leather. Nor is there anything anywhere about how to get an all-vegan car.

6. 1208

1208 Active Member

Wasn't it a problem though with the next gen seats, only leather is available in the S, white synthetic is only for the X. Are the X's seats next gen or unique to the X?

They should use the words "White Synthetic Leather Seats" in the design studio, I don't know why they aren't.

7. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

You can try as hard as you want to get a vegan Tesla, but it's still going to come with an awful lot horsepower.

8. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I thought the vegan rebellion wanted Tesla to stop using leather?

Not offer Tesla leather accessories like gloves,hand bags, and iPhone cases in addition to leather vehicle interiors?

9. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Correct, they wanted Tesla to fully abandon using leather at all and only offer synthetic and cloth interiors. Based on the number of people who still order leather I would say the vegans (the ones specifically at the shareholder meeting, not all vegans) have failed.

10. electracity

electracity Active Member

The resistance from the Bacon Cohort was substantial. Note that our demand that the winter heating option be removed from the Vegan steering wheel was met by Tesla.