Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Praise of Proactive Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
About a week ago, I got an email from my local (Bellevue Wa) service center saying that they needed to relocate a wiring harness and I should make an appointment. I did, but on the day of the service, they called and asked why the appointment had been canceled. I told them I had no idea it had been canceled. They rescheduled for that same day, later in the afternoon.

Right on schedule, the tech showed up in my driveway, and Angel was ready for him. He was wearing a mask. (Thanks).
I watched from a distance while he gutted the area under the frunk. Fascinating. Two dozen parts were now laid out on my garage floor. Did you know there is a large flat tank of coolant under there? There's also a large (8" x 24") air tank (for the air suspension).
IMG_5649.jpg

"You have a problem here," he said.
"Now what?" I said to myself. "Oh?"
He pointed out a pile (about 8" across) of shredded insulation. "You have a rodent problem."
Apparently, a rat (probably) had crawled up inside the car and made a nest. While we do have rats around, we had not seen any signs in the garage, but the car had been sitting outside the dealer for over a week not that long ago.
"Can you clean that out or should I get my vacuum?"
"I'm not allowed to touch it for fear of releasing hantavirus into the air."
I was also wearing a mask so I got out the shop vac and the tech stood well back while I cleaned the area and disposed of the nest. I then went in and scrubbed my hands (again).
Minutes later, he had exposed a large cable bundle attached to the "firewall" and relocated it nearby. Then it was "just" a matter of reassembly. It was clear that he had done this several times before. No, he didn't have any parts left over.

He tells me that all Model X vehicles will have this modification done. I appreciate not having to break quarantine to bring my car in. It was really easier on everyone. As long as they send out competent people (as they did), I'm thrilled with on-site service.

As to the rat problem, I plan to put out a bait trap under the car.
He said that was sound-deading insulation but no wires had been eaten yet. (whew)