Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In progress: Model 3 pulling loaded 1,900lbs~ 5x8 utility trailer 1,700 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes @SageBrush , I know about the "afterburner" and you are correct. I believe however that with a battery in the 52C range it would not be doing that. It would instead be trying to cool it, as the simple act of charging would continue to heat the battery and it's plenty warm already.

My admittedly very vague memory is that the pack can reach ~ mid 50s C during V3 Supercharging. That number has to be verified though, and it also does not say when the afterburner turns off. The SMT screenshot shows the 'R stator' at 61C so the afterburner is supplying heat. It is possible that is a dysfunctional state of affairs but it would surprise me it that was true and the car was not throwing up errors.

The good:
I’m almost to my destination! Only 1.5 hours for 99 miles remain!

The bad:
So far my efficiency is 433 Wh/mi over 1,604 miles. Lots of high-speed driving in TX and AZ so this isn’t unexpected.

The Ugly:
I really think a valve or a blower fan might be stuck. My charging rate is severely throttling itself at this last supercharger. Something may be going bad with the battery cooling system? I feel my car shudder during charging as if an Inductive motor is trying to start but can’t (i’m positive it is not the AC compressor start/stop vibration or noise). I also hear the battery pack “poping” and “oil canning” way more than normal. I also hear a lot more clicking and knocking/tapping from the front of the car that wasn’t there before. The main cooling fan has not turned on once yet which usually roars to life by now.

I tried three different charging stalls. My battery is 51°C which is plenty hot for DC fast charging. The charge curve is strange. It attempts to ramp up, stuttering heavily along the way. It hits 100~ kW for just a second and then falls down and fluctuates between 38kW and 48kW…

Some random possibilities:
I “ate” a tumbleweed back in arizona, but it disintegrated into a million pieces. I just checked my radiator grill and I see that I must have hit a small bird without realizing it pretty recently (I see its remains along with some feathers) . I have been smelling my AC evaporator coils for the last ~24 hours (the reason is because I sprayed an AC evaporator coil cleaner on them which has the exact same smell).

I’ll inspect the radiator area some more… I can probably make it to my destination alright, but supercharging is slow from what I think is a HOT battery. No fan has kicked on, still.

Very interesting…

View attachment 734689
View attachment 734690
I love this thread; makes me feel like I'm on the journey with you!

I have the eco hitch from Torklift. Installed myself and use it with a small Harbor freight trailer. also wired in the LED trailer lights (this is not me, just a reference to help) straight to the Model 3 tail lights. works great going on 3 years now! But...only around town at slow speeds, ha. to the hardware store, etc. Now i want to get it out on the open road!

Great thread. great trip. Glad you made it. What hitch do you have? How many pull thru Superchargers did you find versus how many unhitch-charge-rehitch did you have to do?

Awesome job. The Cybertruck has nothing on this one.

Thanks for the great data. Will look forward to your wrap-up, hope the cooling issue resolves itself. Bad thermostat? Flaky valve?

One more plug for the free version of ABRP, it shows you your charging curve as you charge, so you can keep track of strange anomalies:
IMG_2542.jpeg

The blue rectangle at the top is the status and shows how close I am to SOC target before continuing my trip; the bottom part shows how the supercharging session is going, in graphical form. The blue line is predicted, the green line is actual. There was a momentary blip in my charging, when I hit 50% SOC, which you can see in the gray area, which is why I screenshotted it.

Reactions: GtiMart
Great thread, thanks for sharing!

As one who wants to tow a small camper with my model 3, I like that you made it happen.

Earlier this year I took an 8k mile road trip across the country and back, all the while carrying a cargo rack on the back of my 3 with a stealth hitch. I learned a few things:

1. The load rating of the amazon carrying rack is pretty firm, we barely exceeded it and it slowly drooped more and more across the country, bending if we hit a very large bump.

2. The rear of the 3 goes through very significant toe changes with ride height. We totally destroyed the inside edge of a set of new tires in 6k miles due to the rear end squat from loading it down with our camping gear and 2 long-range electric scooters on the cargo rack. Luckily this showed up as a slow leak while we were in the desert and we found 4 tires in a pretty small town so were able to continue.

3. I have MPP sport coilovers, which were barely lowered any from the stock 3 Performance height. They worked great, though we were way too low in hindsight. We used a 4" receiver hitch rise adaptor with a 9" extension and then cut the extension part down as much as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and KenC
Great thread, thanks for sharing!

As one who wants to tow a small camper with my model 3, I like that you made it happen.

Earlier this year I took an 8k mile road trip across the country and back, all the while carrying a cargo rack on the back of my 3 with a stealth hitch. I learned a few things:

1. The load rating of the amazon carrying rack is pretty firm, we barely exceeded it and it slowly drooped more and more across the country, bending if we hit a very large bump.

2. The rear of the 3 goes through very significant toe changes with ride height. We totally destroyed the inside edge of a set of new tires in 6k miles due to the rear end squat from loading it down with our camping gear and 2 long-range electric scooters on the cargo rack. Luckily this showed up as a slow leak while we were in the desert and we found 4 tires in a pretty small town so were able to continue.

3. I have MPP sport coilovers, which were barely lowered any from the stock 3 Performance height. They worked great, though we were way too low in hindsight. We used a 4" receiver hitch rise adaptor with a 9" extension and then cut the extension part down as much as possible.
Do you have any pictures of this setup? Sounds interesting.

Do you have any pictures of this setup? Sounds interesting.
I have a few hundred pics, including us driving through Titus Canyon in Death Valley.
Here's at the start of the road trip before 8k miles of fun and adventure.
20210508_063303.jpg

Here is when we drove through Titus Canyon
20210523_193711.jpg

And here is the last supercharging spot, showing the hardware we took across the country and how it held up.
20210524_213137.jpg

As you can see we were low AF.

I have a few hundred pics, including us driving through Titus Canyon in Death Valley.
Here's at the start of the road trip before 8k miles of fun and adventure.View attachment 736003
Here is when we drove through Titus Canyon
View attachment 736004
And here is the last supercharging spot, showing the hardware we took across the country and how it held up.
View attachment 736005
As you can see we were low AF.
Wow 🤯
There's 300 lbs, then there's 300 lbs 2 feet back from the hitch.
That might take the prize from @ohmman's weight distribution setup for the most abuse a hitch on a Tesla has been put through.

Wow 🤯
There's 300 lbs, then there's 300 lbs 2 feet back from the hitch.
That might take the prize from @ohmman's weight distribution setup for the most abuse a hitch on a Tesla has been put through.
Actual weight was about 170 lbs of weight in the rack, and the rack itself was another 100 lbs all together with the extension and stealth hitch.

I just re-read the amazon item to see what its weight was. Comically it says it has a 500 lb weight limit!