Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In progress: Model 3 pulling loaded 1,900lbs~ 5x8 utility trailer 1,700 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F93861FF-9248-4AA8-96AC-028DB4D4F213.jpeg

Long story short: I’m moving 1,700 miles and I’m really cheap. U-Haul rental prices are currently insane along with other shipping options (they want $1,600 for a one-way 4x8 cargo trailer. It used to be $480 6 months ago!), so I bought a flimsy Lowe’s 5x8 Carry-on utility trailer to do the move with. This thread will serve to document my trip and will be updated with efficiency numbers along the way.

Preliminary research and prep:
I packed all my boxes and weighed each one to get an idea of total weight. I measured and modeled the trailer options I had. This gave me a rough idea of how I wanted to load and distribute the boxes:
B89E1626-172F-4E95-BDE1-41738F9EDB0C.jpeg

Trailer Purchase:
Lowe’s has very low stock, but I called around and found one in good condition about 20 miles away. This one is mine!
56297760-BA70-43F9-9094-7B50EA0C1E4B.jpeg

Loading up:
Buying the trailer took longer than expected and so did loading it. Tongue weight is roughly 200lbs. I can lift the tongue if I lever my forearms off of my knees. Time to hit the road and see how much trouble I’ve gotten myself into. I’m pretty committed now.
5E05CFFA-741B-4121-8A7D-B3FC4F1A8DCA.jpeg

Gilroy to Tejon Ranch:
138 miles @ 448 Wh/mi. 1-2 mph headwinds @ 50°F. 60 mph average speed. Extremely foggy and humid. have to run cabin AC and heater on low to prevent window fogging.

Tejon Ranch to Wheeler Ridge:
117 miles @ 441 Wh/mi. 1-2 mph headwind @ 51°F.60mph average speed. Foggy, humid. Needed to run AC amd heater do prevent cabin fogging up. Slept at wheeler ridge.

Weighed each axel. the trailer only has a 2000 lbs axel and is carrying 1760. I loaded it a bit more than expected:
3942CFDA-4FF4-451B-A81E-364AF7CFB4D1.jpeg

Wheeler Ridge to Cabazon
Next morning. 175 miles @ 328Wh/mi. 1-2 mph headwind @ 71°F. 58 mph average speed. Very hilly. Keeping cruise control at 7 car lengths of distance to big rigs. Efficiency is much better in warmer weather.

Total efficiency so far is 396 Wh/mi over 432.1 miles.
ADC524AF-A9C7-479C-AE7E-7A678D1DBCE2.jpeg

View attachment 734052

Long story short: I’m moving 1,700 miles and I’m really cheap. U-Haul rental prices are currently insane along with other shipping options (they want $1,600 for a one-way 4x8 cargo trailer. It used to be $480 6 months ago!), so I bought a flimsy Lowe’s 5x8 Carry-on utility trailer to do the move with. This thread will serve to document my trip and will be updated with efficiency numbers along the way.

Preliminary research and prep:
I packed all my boxes and weighed each one to get an idea of total weight. I measured and modeled the trailer options I had. This gave me a rough idea of how I wanted to load and distribute the boxes:
View attachment 734064

Trailer Purchase:
Lowe’s has very low stock, but I called around and found one in good condition about 20 miles away. This one is mine!
View attachment 734069

Loading up:
Buying the trailer took longer than expected and so did loading it. Tongue weight is roughly 200lbs. I can lift the tongue if I lever my forearms off of my knees. Time to hit the road and see how much trouble I’ve gotten myself into. I’m pretty committed now.
View attachment 734063

Gilroy to Tejon Ranch:
138 miles @ 448 Wh/mi. 1-2 mph headwinds @ 50°F. 60 mph average speed. Extremely foggy and humid. have to run cabin AC and heater on low to prevent window fogging.

Tejon Ranch to Wheeler Ridge:
117 miles @ 441 Wh/mi. 1-2 mph headwind @ 51°F.60mph average speed. Foggy, humid. Needed to run AC amd heater do prevent cabin fogging up. Slept at wheeler ridge.

Weighed each axel. the trailer only has a 2000 lbs axel and is carrying 1760. I loaded it a bit more than expected:
View attachment 734049

Wheeler Ridge to Cabazon
Next morning. 175 miles @ 328Wh/mi. 1-2 mph headwind @ 71°F. 58 mph average speed. Very hilly. Keeping cruise control at 7 car lengths of distance to big rigs. Efficiency is much better in warmer weather.

Total efficiency so far is 396 Wh/mi over 432.1 miles.
View attachment 734048
Appreciate you documenting this trip with pictures. Look forward to reading part 2 :)

Thanks for all the data. The trip sounds like something I would do! Surprising that the efficiency is so much better with only a 20F difference in temp. Will be interesting to see if the later data confirms temperature effect.

Reactions: limmerguy
Following along.
I know someone who made a small enclosed trailer with marine shrink wrap and small boards (on a flat trailer). He said it lasted a full winter season of snowmobile trailering in New England. Was just thinking a smooth surface might increase efficiency.

Cabazon to Quartzsite
159 miles @ 373 Wh/mi. Average faster at 67 mph while drafting 5-7 car lengths behind trucks. Headwinds 2-8 mph and 78°F. Lower efficiency is definitely because of stronger headwinds and increased driving speeds. AC is set maually to “Low”°F and fan speed 3. Note that the “cheap” trailer’s hubs and tires are only warm to the touch and doing fine. The Tesla’s tires are about the same temperature:
44D0F803-B57C-496F-934A-4C1371F491B9.jpeg

Quartzsite to Buckeye
101 miles @ 418 Wh/mi. Average 71 mph. I occasionally maxed out cruise control without a lead car. 2 mph headwind and 73°F. Again, had lower efficiency because of high speeds. Had to unhitch the trailer as a courtesy to other drivers. +3 minutes.
C1733E42-D51E-4512-A60A-ECC9FC7B1CAF.jpeg

Excluding sleep time, I am averaging about 45 mph of driving, charging, and eating. I could be spending less time charging, but I topped up to 99%~ SoC at three of the CA superchargers that offer off-peak rates.

Overall efficiency still 394 Wh/mi over 692 miles of very mixed driving. In general, I’ve been drafting 5-7 car lengths behind semis and trucks that are neither the slowest nor the fastest on the road.
B231545B-B4CB-4ACD-A8A3-CD7EE82B8A1B.jpeg

This is fascinating. So much good info. The biggest problem I see with towing a trailer with a Tesla is that at most Supercharger stations (at least here in New England) you have no choice but to back up the the supercharger. That would force you to have to park and disconnect the trailer before backing up to the supercharger. How big a problem has that been for you so far on your trip?

Reactions: house9
D7370215-746C-4B34-9966-CF9C90E2E618.jpeg
740B9F95-9872-40EF-8429-685E73646896.jpeg
I’m not optimistic about this next leg… Willcox, AZ to Deming, NM. A cold front must be blowing in right now. I stopped last night because the temperature suddenly dropped to 36°F with a headwind. I figured weather would improve in the morning. Nope! It’s still 37°F and the headwind is 12mph. The gusts look much stronger than that. It’s only 134 miles to the next supercharger, but last night I was averaging 501 Wh/mi which only gives me 135 miles of range. I’m topping off right now and i have a couple RV parks mapped out just in case… wish me luck 😅

I’m not optimistic about this next leg… Willcox, AZ to Deming, NM. A cold front must be blowing in right now. I stopped last night because the temperature suddenly dropped to 36°F with a headwind. I figured weather would improve in the morning. Nope! It’s still 37°F and the headwind is 12mph. The gusts look much stronger than that. It’s only 134 miles to the next supercharger, but last night I was averaging 501 Wh/mi which only gives me 135 miles of range. I’m topping off right now and i have a couple RV parks mapped out just in case… wish me luck 😅
😬 Good luck and drive slow!

I wanted a towbar when I ordered my M3LR but was told there was a chip shortage so I should get it retrofitted (I’m not sure if that at all rings true?). But the problem is that it’s a lot of money to do but when you are purchasing the car it’s only a small percentage of the overall cost. So my problem is psychological 😱. But I have a very nice trailer that I bought ages ago for a house move. It just makes vacations so easy, no need to carefully pack just chuck the stuff in👍