Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In SC for 3 weeks - going back - where is spec for panel gaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted my initial problems a few weeks ago. Update:

a) The service center (Latham, NY) had the car for 25 days. A big part of the delay was that they found the reason for what looked like a small fitment problem was that the battery was squishing a cooling line and the cooling line wasn't in the right spot. The cooling line needed replacement and one had to be ordered from Fremont. Grateful that they were careful and worked to resolve this properly. Could have easily been missed.

b) There is a prominent imperfection on the body line between the rear passenger door and the tailgate. They agreed to fix it. When I picked up the car this morning, it looked the same. Reading the work order - they referred to the repair of a paint imperfection on the rear passenger door. I called be body shop. Sure enough - Tesla had asked them to fix a problem I hadn't seen rather than the problem that I did see and requested be fixed. So it's good they found something and fixed it - but they didn't fix what I requested be fixed.

c) Tailgate alignment may be a tiny bit better but it's not fixed - and there are some fitment problems that in fact now look WORSE - to the point that the clips holding body panels together are visible (that's how wide the panel gaps are!) .. SC rep says this is all "within spec tolerance." I can tell he's not super happy about saying this to me. It's probably what's in the script - he seems like a good person who is all-of-a-sudden holding the bag for the rotten QC that is (isn't) happening @ the factory. But of course (unless someone has found and published the spec tolerances) these tolerances are a mystery to us - so it's hard for me to dispute whether these matters are within or beyond spec. Tailgate remains misaligned, rear seats remain uneven, glass is uneven - and the frunk alignment is a bit better - but remains suboptimal.

So the car needs to go back. I have owned it for over a month, but 25 days of that month it was @ the service center. New York's Lemon Law says that if it's in service for warranty issues for more than 30 days in the 1st 18 months of ownership, they need to refund or replace. So it's going to go back to the auto body shop for for the panel repair .. probably another 3 days .. which gets us to 28 days.

If we can find the specifications for what "proper fit" means - then I think we'll all be in a better position to get things fixed right. Seems like it's been hit/miss with the seat alignment issue - some SCs are repairing this problem and others are saying that it's not a problem. Is there a document we can point to that can help me get them to fix this? Has anyone filed a Lemon Law complaint in New York on their Tesla?

• Disagree
Reactions: Berkshire1
No lemon law in Canada so even more important to draw the line when to reject and when to accept and trust that it will be repaired to the customer's full satisfaction. Only problem is who wants their $50000-60000 band new vehicle to be repainted or re-worked at a body shop? mind boggling.