Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

In Search of 2015 Model S 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking for a black 2015 MS 85D for a few months now.

Think, I might have found one that meets most of my "wants" which are;

Autopilot
SmartAir suspension
Premium Upgrades Pkg
Subzero Pkg
High Amp Pkg
One owner
Only 8k miles

Still waiting to find out about whether or not it has extended warranty or not. (The MS was traded in on a high end ICE vehicle)

My two question's are; What would be considered a good or great price for a car like this? And if it does not have the extended warranty, should that affect the value/price significantly.

Thanks!!

Maybe consider CPO instead. If they are asking $89K and this CPO is $90k for a P85D that comes with a new 4 year warranty I think you are in a far off better position with the new warranty and the higher performance vehicle. Plus, in CO even a used Model S qualifies for the state tax rebate as long as it wasn't previously registered in CO. If the 85D you are looking at was registered in CO already then you can't claim the $6K rebate. 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H29EFP63015 | Tesla

i assume no premium sound or pano roof and 19's since it was not mentioned and for that reason I agree with Patrick on his 75K price and with the release of AP2 that might even be a little generous..

Also sounds like it is a dealer so to me the inability to extend warranty is definitely a negative especially if it is an early 2015 car... you could only have a little more than 2 years of warranty.

You also said "most of what I want" if you are willing to spend almost 80-90K you should get all of what you want. Mileage is nice but not worth it IMHO... CPO is a better option for warranty reasons alone, OR private sale where the original owner can purchase the ESA before they sell it to you... This is what I did and I now have 6 years of warranty left. Some states, like Nevada, do not collect sales tax on private sale used vehicles. This saved me about 7K which is why the CPO car for me was not an option. (know your state laws)

For 89K you can find a P85D easily..this car is way overpriced so you should move on for sure. I also believe that with AP2.0 out you might see more and more AP1 cars come onto the used market so maybe sitting tight for a couple months might give you a ton more options...but even now a well equipped 85D is not worth more than 75-77K in my opinion'

Hope that helps

i assume no premium sound or pano roof and 19's since it was not mentioned and for that reason I agree with Patrick on his 75K price and with the release of AP2 that might even be a little generous..

Also sounds like it is a dealer so to me the inability to extend warranty is definitely a negative especially if it is an early 2015 car... you could only have a little more than 2 years of warranty.

You also said "most of what I want" if you are willing to spend almost 80-90K you should get all of what you want. Mileage is nice but not worth it IMHO... CPO is a better option for warranty reasons alone, OR private sale where the original owner can purchase the ESA before they sell it to you... This is what I did and I now have 6 years of warranty left. Some states, like Nevada, do not collect sales tax on private sale used vehicles. This saved me about 7K which is why the CPO car for me was not an option. (know your state laws)

For 89K you can find a P85D easily..this car is way overpriced so you should move on for sure. I also believe that with AP2.0 out you might see more and more AP1 cars come onto the used market so maybe sitting tight for a couple months might give you a ton more options...but even now a well equipped 85D is not worth more than 75-77K in my opinion'

Hope that helps

Thanks for the advice. I'm not in any great rush and I do have some more research to do regarding CO laws pertaining to the state tax credit so I'll passively keep an eye on this one.

I wasn't completely clear in my description. The car I'm looking at does have the Pano roof and I'm still trying to ascertain if it has Premium sound or not. (traveling a lot lately) ICE dealer who has it now did contact Tesla Service rep and claims that after researching the VIN, Tesla has confirmed all options but he gave me a different description of the sound system so I'm suspect. Also, the same guy at the service center stated that anyone can purchase the ESA as long as the vehicle hasn't surpassed the original factory warranty limits. That goes completely against everything I've read on this board. Guess I'm gonna have to make some calls directly to that Tesla service rep myself.

As for the "most of hat I want" statement, the only real concession I'm making is settling for the tan interior. I'd really love to have black on black but if I can swing a deal on this car for $73-76k then I'm sure the tan won't be to hard to swallow.

easy check on premium sound... if it has XM it is premium if it doesn't it is not...

Without question the only person who can purchase an ESA is the ORIGINAL OWNER... I made 100% sure of that when I bought my car from a private seller. He had to buy the warranty before I took possession.

For the record I wanted the black interior too at first but now I prefer the tan... the two tone colors i think give the interior more definition,,, black on black hides some of the beautiful lines and details of the interior...

Good luck with your search but personally I wouldn't touch that car from a ICE dealer.

Thanks for the info. My present car is black with tan interior. Guess I'm just looking for something different but like I said, not a deal breaker.

Since this would be my fist Tesla I'm trying to soak up as much as I can. Why wouldn't you touch a car from an ICE dealer? Not that this really matters much but the car was traded in at our local Porsche dealership which has a good reputation with a couple friends near me.

It has nothing to do with the dealership itself... BUT my experience has been that ICE dealers don't know much about the cars to price them right and even be a reasonable judge of mechanical condition. More importantly however is that a ICE dealer severely limits your options when it comes to warranty... Lest say for example that car was built in February of 2015 (just an arbitrary date) you will get the remainder of the factory warranty of roughly 27 months... which isn't horrible BUT if you could get the same car as a CPO from Tesla at seemingly the same price you get 4 full years... Also you know without question that a Tesla CPO car has been combed over by Tesla experts and that it is likely mechanically perfect, they also have access to the entire service history of the car... They check everything and Just like Porsche does when someone trades in a 911, not every car Tesla takes in trade becomes one of their CPO resales,. they wholesale out the ones that are not in pristine condition. CPO certification by Tesla experts is a big deal because they change everything even if it remotely suspect. As good as a Porsche dealer may be they don't have the know how to truly assess the overall condition of the vehicle. the last CPO benefit is selection... the Porsche dealer has 1 car, Tesla may have 10 cars that fit your search criteria and half of those might not have the tan interior. While you are looking at CPOs you might want to peak a the new inventory also and do the math on state and federal tax credits as well a new car might be closer in price than you think...

IMHO the other better option than an ICE dealer is a private sale. If you can find the right private sale situation and you ask them to purchase the ESA for you before the ownership changes hands you can get as much as 6 years of warranty...And if you want to get crazy you can even ask that they take it in to Tesla for a Safety inspection and Tesla can do a general assessment on the vehicle. Like I said before I saved 7K in taxes (thank you Nevada) and that more than covered my ESA cost. Plus the ESA is transferable... If i trade my car in in 3 years I can take my ESA and apply it to my new Tesla..OR sell it with the car (which would help with resale)

For me it is about piece of mind... It is an expensive car and I would be nervous if I was out of warranty and any significant repair came along (which is pretty much true for any car these days). Simply stated an ICE dealer no matter how good they may be limits your options and for the same or similar price it doesn't make sense to me...

Hope that helps...

Maybe Tesla will see this post and give me a commission (or referral) LOL

I have my referral code if you need it... 1K off for you

This.

If you were to explore that route, I would not only use ev-cpo.com and other similar sites, but also work with a Tesla OA directly as they have insights into what's coming down the pike even before the cars are listed on their public site.

Also inventory cars are a great option as they are eligible for the $7,500 tax rebate and other state-specific rebates.

By the way... if the car you are talking about is the one in Colorado Springs, this dealership has had this car for a minimum of 8 months... it has been advertised since I started looking back in early March... they originally listed it for over 105K.... seems to me that this supports my CPO argument.. they might be motivated to get rid of it but not likely to the mid 70s. to me still not worth giving up 2 years of piece of mind.

By the way... if the car you are talking about is the one in Colorado Springs, this dealership has had this car for a minimum of 8 months... it has been advertised since I started looking back in early March... they originally listed it for over 105K.... seems to me that this supports my CPO argument.. they might be motivated to get rid of it but not likely to the mid 70s. to me still not worth giving up 2 years of piece of mind.

Thats the one. The more and more I watch the CPO listings, I'm inclined to go that route. The Porsche dealer is gonna take a bath on that car unless they get an uninformed buyer.

What are the groups thoughts about possibly going for a 75D? Seems that there is only a negligible range reduction with the 75D and my usual drive is only 65 miles each direction. Any other differences with the smaller battery?

Thanks for the advice. I'm not in any great rush and I do have some more research to do regarding CO laws pertaining to the state tax credit so I'll passively keep an eye on this one.

I wasn't completely clear in my description. The car I'm looking at does have the Pano roof and I'm still trying to ascertain if it has Premium sound or not. (traveling a lot lately) ICE dealer who has it now did contact Tesla Service rep and claims that after researching the VIN, Tesla has confirmed all options but he gave me a different description of the sound system so I'm suspect. Also, the same guy at the service center stated that anyone can purchase the ESA as long as the vehicle hasn't surpassed the original factory warranty limits. That goes completely against everything I've read on this board. Guess I'm gonna have to make some calls directly to that Tesla service rep myself.

As for the "most of hat I want" statement, the only real concession I'm making is settling for the tan interior. I'd really love to have black on black but if I can swing a deal on this car for $73-76k then I'm sure the tan won't be to hard to swallow.

As a note to do with CO laws/rebates and not being in a hurry, I was in a hurry when looking for mine as this is the last yr you can still get the CO $6K tax credit on a used car, starting 2017 there is no rebate for getting a used car anymore, the current stipulation is you must be buying a used one out of state as it cannot have been claimed before for CO tax credit. From 2017 there is an up front $5K off at time of purchase on new cars only. Love S85 pre-AP I bought in May of this year and have no regrets :)

What are the groups thoughts about possibly going for a 75D? Seems that there is only a negligible range reduction with the 75D and my usual drive is only 65 miles each direction. Any other differences with the smaller battery?

I actually contemplated getting a 75 (until I stumbled a lease that was too good to pass up on a P90DL...) as it would have been plenty of range for my usage. I was even thinking about pushing that "minimalistic" logic further, ie get a 60 and unlock the extra battery if/when I realized I actually needed it. Here was my thinking:

The SC network is growing, so while a 60/75 may have been "tight" 2 years ago, it should in most cases provide enough range for long distance needs. Another thing which is often overlooked is the increasing network of destination chargers, it closes potential gaps nicely too.

In addition, it really comes down to 2 things in my mind:

1) how likely are you to find yourself in a situation where you have to squeeze every single mile out of a 75 and how likely is it you may have unexpected long-distance travel needs?
2) The other thing to keep in mind in your area is the negative impact of cold weather & changes in altitude on your overall range...it sure would suck to have to turn the heat off on a cold evening drive just to make it to your destination.