Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Search Of Dashcam power source.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings Tesla Fanatics!!

Just bought a new Model Y and I’m looking for a constant 12V power source to power my BlackVue Dashcam. I was using the OBD-II plug on my previous Model S but the Model Y apparently doesn’t have this port anymore. I watched a few videos of some folks tapping into power and ground posts in a Model 3 either left or right of the center console floorboard area. I went searching and found the image below on the drivers side under the dashboard. This location was where the Model 3 had a power post. Does anyone know how to open it or if its worth trying to tap into? I tried gently prying on the tab along the bottom but didn’t want to risk breaking anything. I’m not sure if the two vertical slots are test points or something that with a special tool could perhaps release the cover.

Attachments

• 478AF78A-6632-46AE-BD24-0604313B8FBB.jpeg
    478AF78A-6632-46AE-BD24-0604313B8FBB.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 121
Greetings Tesla Fanatics!!

I managed to get the cover off. It was clipped on either side. These terminals have 13.3V with everything off. Now to figure out how to tap into this without changing anything physically. Also, it doesn’t appear that the two vertical slots visible on the outer cover are test points. There’s no way to insert anything in them and actually make contact with the wires. They’re probably just separators of some sort.

Attachments

• D6AA9317-25B3-4CC0-846C-69AB07E3B99C.jpeg
    D6AA9317-25B3-4CC0-846C-69AB07E3B99C.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 3D08ABE0-F1E4-4FF9-945F-74F22D7897CB.jpeg
    3D08ABE0-F1E4-4FF9-945F-74F22D7897CB.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 104
Is the onboard dash cam not any good?

The onboard dashcam works as advertised but only works when sentry mode is activated or the horn is honked. As far as I know it doesn’t constantly write to memory chips or thumb drives unless certain criteria are met and then only for a short period of time. The additional dashcam is to cover situations where the built in dashcam won’t or can’t cover. Plus having audio and 4K images backing me up in certain situations is something the onboard dashcam isn’t capable of.

Reactions: steve841
Progress update. So I scrapped trying to use this as a power source. I tried to solder an extension plug to this and it was a pain in the Arse!! These are simply plugs that can be pulled straight out (one at a time). That gave me better access. I found that the larger gauge red wire was too much of a heat sink to solder anything to it. Ultimately I wouldn’t have enough room to put the cover back on and expect it to stay so I gave up. I chose to use the 12V lighter plug in the center console for a switched power source. That was also a PITA. After running all wires my first test resulted in no power. I probably pinched something. Tearing back into it today.

I could not find 12v source up front. Ended up using the cigarette lighter socket in the trunk. On another note, there is no such thing as switched power source as in regular cars. The car is constantly powering on for the Teslacam, data feeds, app remote access, etc. Everytime this occurs it powers on the power source. I have a radar detector/laser shifter wired up and I manually turn off the unit when I leave the car and everytime I come back to it, it is always powered on. Hopefully this does not drain the battery too much.

I have black use 900 in my current car and also looking to bring it over. Have you thought about magic pro battery? Charges while car is on and then powers dash cam when car is turned off. Probably what I’m going to do as I don’t want to just have a total loss on $500 camera