TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

In software we trust!... Yes it seems you can even down to the wire.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by CertLive, Dec 29, 2019.

1. CertLive

CertLive Member

I went on a road trip to Birmingham in my SR+ started off with 96% charge by the time I unplugged to go and all snug and pre-heated (a feature I would never give up!) Now with a small detour around town the trip there was 90 miles and the software said I had 5% left if I was to come back the 86+ miles night return. A question that is asked a lot and maybe the feeling is " is it not scary to run this low". The answer is OK I trust it lets go Tesla!. At no point in this journey did we turn off the heater set to 22 and had our seats heated for most of the trip both ways. So I went to the bull ring car park which had an available 11KW pod point charger which I am a member of so its free. The others were all taken and the 11KW the app stated was free was covered up and out of action thanks pod point app not so real time. So my free vend was gone but I parked up with 51%. On return 3 hours later with sentry mode on I was on 49% with a 4% left when I get home. So I think here we go I mean what the hell I have seen lots of YouTube videos about running these cars down past 0% so this will be fun if its close and well I have a little extra just in case. I admit at a couple of points in the journey the car was asking to slow down to 60, lights on full etc as it was night on the way back. I ignored it a little and then traffic naturally slowed down to 50 in small parts so I felt it was a fine balance and almost made a wrong junction change thanks to a late call from the sat nav so I had to put my foot down to make sure the change was with plenty of room, damn this starship goes! I landed back at mission control with....... 3%

So from experience now I can say... and oh boy will I say in a month when I drive to north Norway the ultimate test.... but I can say in the current 10C ish UK climate that the maths behind the battery level is something you can trust in. It worked well for me and that is what other guess'o'meters do not do so well. I hope others have found the same 3% left is probably quite a few miles.

Verdict: Positive Experience with power level prediction

• Like x 4