Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In the face of a recession, should I buy a Y now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What we are facing now, and what is coming our way is far worse than the Obama-BIden years, or even the infamous Jimmy Carter years. Plan ahead accordingly.

Now is the wrong time to be draining your emergency reserves. In addition to the emergency fund, I advise having 3 months or more of food stocked at home. Spending $66k or more for a car makes no sense given your household salary. That money would be better spent on physical assets (think land, or an investment property). If you really need a second car, which isn't unreasonable, and an EV makes sense for you (you put on a lot of miles), then there's great deals to be had right now on the Bolt. However if you don't put on a lot of miles, keep in mind the high voltage battery in any EV degrades with time, and it's extremely expensive to replace. For planning purposes, think 10 years. If you don't drive much, I'd stick with a hybrid or gas vehicle that will serve the family's needs for a long time if needed. I drive 25-30k miles a year, so the math works out for me. You'll need to run the math for your usage.

I would also have to say don't do it. When I look at the sticker of our 2021 Y, I can't believe the price of the new ones. The wife had FSD (subscription) for a month and cancelled it, so from our experience drop that. You really have to trust the car for it to be worth it. EAP is a much better option IMO for the way we drive and I would add it to the Y if I weren't going to trade it in 2 years (maybe...waiting on the cybertruck). And before anyone says anything about us owning an X, we had more than one year combined salaries in a savings account before we pulled the trigger on it and don't have any debit other than the Y payment. We did have to put off a dream of ours for another year or two to get it but part of that has to do with the housing market in this weird city in which I reside. The other thing is I was driving an F350 and the monthly total cost of ownership was over $1600 per month on it. On the other hand only you can decide the risk/reward for the purchase.
awesome fiscal responsibility and nice cost avoidance on the F350 gas, makes total sense.

Reactions: Macgyverfever
I see a wide range of financial advice here. Ultimately OP has to do what's comfortable for him. Just as a data point, I bought my Y ($60k after TTL) in cash, no financing, just wrote a check out of savings account. I have bought all my cars this way. I understand I may be losing a tiny bit of opportunity but I like to just "own" the car and be done with it.

As for financial health, retirement savings, investments, college savings, etc are all accounted for and done - on track for a very comfortable retirement. I have emergency cash equal to 1 year of gross salary. I would not have bought such an expensive car without all that other stuff already taken care of. Any car more than $30k is a "luxury" in my book. I would rather drive a POS car than not be healthy financially. A car is a depreciating asset and not an investment. I drive all my cars until their value is almost zero.

I see a wide range of financial advice here. Ultimately OP has to do what's comfortable for him. Just as a data point, I bought my Y ($60k after TTL) in cash, no financing, just wrote a check out of savings account. I have bought all my cars this way. I understand I may be losing a tiny bit of opportunity but I like to just "own" the car and be done with it.

As for financial health, retirement savings, investments, college savings, etc are all accounted for and done - on track for a very comfortable retirement. I have emergency cash equal to 1 year of gross salary. I would not have bought such an expensive car without all that other stuff already taken care of. Any car more than $30k is a "luxury" in my book. I would rather drive a POS car than not be healthy financially. A car is a depreciating asset and not an investment. I drive all my cars until their value is almost zero.

And believe me, if I were to get such a vehicle, I have 0 plans of ever trading or selling it (I still have my note 9 as my phone and before that was using a note 3 until the battery was replaced for the 2nd time) - I would drive this car 'til the wheels fell off, and then repair it and drive it some more.

I suspect from the comments my biggest hurdle is not having an emergency fund set aside. Should a life event occur now, I won't be prepared, even by the time I receive the vehicle which is due this Sep. I do know confidently, however the conservative family-oriented company I work for wouldn't dare think of letting my wife or I go (and I swear to you all I am not trying to brag but I don't just play the role of System Admin, DBA, Help Desk, Veeam, vCenter, and Network Admin for them, but I am (and have been) also their eyes and ears through this crazy rollercoaster of a pandemic; I analyze sales data, item cost increases, contract pricing, I build reports, etc so that sales reps can not only maintain but improve upon their GPs which helps the company's bottom line, and apparently as a result, I've done so well that company profit margins have increased by 8% compared to our best year ever and are on-track to do even better. They've therefore promised a 15% raise the beginning of next year).

I'm concerned though because if my wife or I were to ever wreck, we won't be able to pick the other up, and being dependent on one vehicle for 5 years really does wear on you mentally. So therein lies the problem: I need a second vehicle, I will do anything and everything to get the debt paid off promptly, yet I am gambling the risk of unemployment until say, June of 2023 to have a proper 6 month emergency fund. Maybe if I switch to ramen noodles I can pull this off... 🤔

Reactions: RobertsM3SR
And believe me, if I were to get such a vehicle, I have 0 plans of ever trading or selling it (I still have my note 9 as my phone and before that was using a note 3 until the battery was replaced for the 2nd time) - I would drive this car 'til the wheels fell off, and then repair it and drive it some more.

I suspect from the comments my biggest hurdle is not having an emergency fund set aside. Should a life event occur now, I won't be prepared, even by the time I receive the vehicle which is due this Sep. I do know confidently, however the conservative family-oriented company I work for wouldn't dare think of letting my wife or I go (and I swear to you all I am not trying to brag but I don't just play the role of System Admin, DBA, Help Desk, Veeam, vCenter, and Network Admin for them, but I am (and have been) also their eyes and ears through this crazy rollercoaster of a pandemic; I analyze sales data, item cost increases, contract pricing, I build reports, etc so that sales reps can not only maintain but improve upon their GPs which helps the company's bottom line, and apparently as a result, I've done so well that company profit margins have increased by 8% compared to our best year ever and are on-track to do even better. They've therefore promised a 15% raise the beginning of next year).

I'm concerned though because if my wife or I were to ever wreck, we won't be able to pick the other up, and being dependent on one vehicle for 5 years really does wear on you mentally. So therein lies the problem: I need a second vehicle, I will do anything and everything to get the debt paid off promptly, yet I am gambling the risk of unemployment until say, June of 2023 to have a proper 6 month emergency fund. Maybe if I switch to ramen noodles I can pull this off... 🤔

sounds like you have it all figured out. pull the trigger, its just a car, if *sugar* hits the fan sell it! no biggie. enjoy life a little

What we are facing now, and what is coming our way is far worse than the Obama-BIden years, or even the infamous Jimmy Carter years. Plan ahead accordingly.

Now is the wrong time to be draining your emergency reserves. In addition to the emergency fund, I advise having 3 months or more of food stocked at home. Spending $66k or more for a car makes no sense given your household salary. That money would be better spent on physical assets (think land, or an investment property). If you really need a second car, which isn't unreasonable, and an EV makes sense for you (you put on a lot of miles), then there's great deals to be had right now on the Bolt. However if you don't put on a lot of miles, keep in mind the high voltage battery in any EV degrades with time, and it's extremely expensive to replace. For planning purposes, think 10 years. If you don't drive much, I'd stick with a hybrid or gas vehicle that will serve the family's needs for a long time if needed. I drive 25-30k miles a year, so the math works out for me. You'll need to run the math for your usage.
What leads you to believe we are in for another Great Depression?

It looks like we are headed for a Yo-Yo economy rather than sustained deflation. Lots of ups and downs, but Americans are employed, productive, and buying at high rates.

Everyone has to do what’s right for them. It was a stretch for me to buy a 3 in 2018, and I am glad I did. Last fall I placed an order for a Y, not sure if I could really afford it. But I wanted to lock in the price. A few weeks ago I got the word that delivery was imminent. The current high resale value of the 3, plus some extra cash I received from selling my old VW camper, made my decision easier. I am taking delivery of a Y this Friday.

And if I were the OP, I would place the order for the Y, and see how the new EV tax credit turns out. You can always cancel the order later.

Everyone has to do what’s right for them. It was a stretch for me to buy a 3 in 2018, and I am glad I did. Last fall I placed an order for a Y, not sure if I could really afford it. But I wanted to lock in the price. A few weeks ago I got the word that delivery was imminent. The current high resale value of the 3, plus some extra cash I received from selling my old VW camper, made my decision easier. I am taking delivery of a Y this Friday.

And if I were the OP, I would place the order for the Y, and see how the new EV tax credit turns out. You can always cancel the order later.
This can all change very quickly and especially as supply increases and I would never look at a car as profit and just say how much am I prepared to loose. EV price’s especially Tesla are off the scale and it’s not normal to be paying £800 a month for a car.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Have you considered a Chevy Bolt if you really want to go the EV route? They are practically giving them away right now due to bad press. I assume they have worked out the battery issues and are good to go now. MSRP is like $27k on a 2023 model and they may have the full tax credit available again on January 1st if you can hold off delivery until then.

I don't think anyone here can convince the OP not to get his MYP with FSD package. He's going to get it and that's that. He will do whatever it takes to make the numbers work. At least if there is a real financial emergency he can always sell the car and not lose too much on it (maybe even make a few $$$).

Have you considered a Chevy Bolt if you really want to go the EV route? They are practically giving them away right now due to bad press. I assume they have worked out the battery issues and are good to go now. MSRP is like $27k on a 2023 model and they may have the full tax credit available again on January 1st if you can hold off delivery until then.
I'm expecting all Tesla's to drop in value as the hike is ascertainable and their be old tech with the solid state batteries and Chinese cars taking the lead.

Fk the bolt. Might as well throw your money in the trash if you're going to buy a bolt. Buy the Model Y and enjoy life. You'll be waiting a while for the y to arrive after you order, so get your self a part time job or gig job and make as much as you can and save up at least 3-5 months of expenses in the meantime.. finance it 100% since rates are still lowish and keep cash on hand... You'll make the numbers work, when there is a will, there is a way... Don't live scared. Don't be a pu**y... Get the job done. Hope to see you post pictures of your Y after delivery.