Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In the snow and the cold.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Axilla

Nov 25, 2019
Maine
I live in Maine. First, I wish there was a dealership here in my state. Second, I want to order one, but wonder about any tests that have been done on the cold weather conditions in my state. How might it handle in the snow and ice? How well is the weight balanced? If the rear end is very light, then the back end might be easy to spin out and swing.
Also the batteries... can they handle the cold?

Just some thoughts I had and was looking for information.

Thank you

I live in Maine. First, I wish there was a dealership here in my state. Second, I want to order one, but wonder about any tests that have been done on the cold weather conditions in my state. How might it handle in the snow and ice? How well is the weight balanced? If the rear end is very light, then the back end might be easy to spin out and swing.

Thank you
Go for all wheel drive, winter tires, and the biggest battery you can afford. Winter is a piece of cake with a Tesla. The ability to keep the cabin warm and never scrape a window again is priceless. It handles great in the snow and your only worry is the range loss (about 20%) if you like to drive with your cabin toasty. I live in Western Pennsylvania and the snow and the hills have never posed an issue for me. Tesla batteries maintain themselves in the cold (and heat) so no worries there.

Tell me more about the heat. I was thinking of that too but forgot to ask. The windows heat quickly? Is there temperature control? I'm asking because you say 20% loss with it toasty. Is toasty about 80? I was looking at the dual motor AWD motor. Thank you for the information!

Tell me more about the heat. I was thinking of that too but forgot to ask. The windows heat quickly? Is there temperature control? I'm asking because you say 20% loss with it toasty. Is toasty about 80? I was looking at the dual motor AWD motor. Thank you for the information!
20% loss of miles while driving. Cabin at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. A 50 mile trip costs me about 60 miles of range. If you get the winter package your wiper blades are heated and from the app you can defrost the windows and make the cabin any temp you want. I found if I put the temp to 60° about 45 mins until I leave work, then crank up to 77 while I walk to the car, the windows are ice free and it only takes a few miles off range to do it (about 6 in 25° weather and 11 in 0° )

Thank you

Assume they are going to test the hell out of this in the cold; they did that with the S and 3

• Disagree
Reactions: ricohman and glide
20% loss of miles while driving. Cabin at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. A 50 mile trip costs me about 60 miles of range. If you get the winter package your wiper blades are heated and from the app you can defrost the windows and make the cabin any temp you want. I found if I put the temp to 60° about 45 mins until I leave work, then crank up to 77 while I walk to the car, the windows are ice free and it only takes a few miles off range to do it (about 6 in 25° weather and 11 in 0° )

I live in NH and have a Model S. I'm lucky to get 50% of my rated range in the winters. It also has the worst cabin heater I’ve ever experienced. My feet are constantly freezing even when heat is cranked. Coupled with windows and doors not opening...it can be challenging to own in the winter depending on your driving habits. No idea if these issues will apply to the truck.

It handles great in the snow though.

If it is true they tested them, then they failed.

They wouldn’t be using frameless windows or either of the door handle modules.

S and 3 are mild-weather suited at best.

i absolutely agree with you about the frameless windows; those are one of the auto world's worst inventions.

they did test the S in the cold; there are vids of the handles coming out with a sheet of ice on the car; they pushed through. I live in a snowy/cold part of Canada and so far haven't had any cold weather issues with the Model S.

i absolutely agree with you about the frameless windows; those are one of the auto world's worst inventions.

they did test the S in the cold; there are vids of the handles coming out with a sheet of ice on the car; they pushed through. I live in a snowy/cold part of Canada and so far haven't had any cold weather issues with the Model S.

I would agree they tested it for driving capabilities to “check the box”.

They did not test it for livability at all.

Thank you
With the battery on the bottom, light weight in the rear isn't going to be an issue. It should handle really well in snow and ice just like the S or X, probably better with the tri-motor version. You'll need different tires than the ones shown on stage. Those kind of tires don't work for snow and ice except for deep snow off-road. I don't doubt they'll show winter testing videos when they get closer to shipping.

I live in NH and have a Model S. I'm lucky to get 50% of my rated range in the winters. It also has the worst cabin heater I’ve ever experienced. My feet are constantly freezing even when heat is cranked. Coupled with windows and doors not opening...it can be challenging to own in the winter depending on your driving habits. No idea if these issues will apply to the truck.

It handles great in the snow though.
What model and year is yours? I heard that from a few folks with 2015 and early 2016. I have a late 2016 refresh and the cabin is pretty evenly heated, even my feet.

I'm in Maine half time, including winter, in my X. It's the best winter car I've had.

Caveats:

I have a wall charger. Essential to preheat cabin and batteries.

Range is less. Plan your trips. If you really want to go 400 miles roundtrip to a hunting cabin without juice in the winter, this is the wrong car. If you mostly drive around town, and long trips can use the Superchargers, no problem. Use abetterrouteplanner.com for planning.

Definitely plan your preheats and trips. If you know you are taking off tomorrow for Acadia, make sure you set the recharging for the early morning so the battery and cabin are warm when you want to leave.

Don't waste energy heating air. Use the heated steering wheel, heated seats, wear a sweater, and keep the cabin temperature moderate, like 65˚.

I have the regular 20" tires, and also have the chains for bad stuff,. The traction is stupendous, and have only used the chains once.

I don't have a garage, so sweeping snow is a nuisance, like any car.

In short, I love this car. I use to have a Suburban.

BTW, I had some minor service. Tesla came up to Rockland to service the car, no extra charge.

Reactions: jerry33
I’m in NH and I never preheat unless it’s covered with ICE/Snow

Toasty will cost you in range. All depends on how long your trip is as to the cost. Lots of short trips get expensive because your reheating a cold cabin.

If you need extra range for a trip, sure preheat it. Might get you 5 more miles. Otherwise it’s wasting fuel just like an ICE warming up in the drive way. I didn’t get an EV just to burn more fuel to keep my butt from getting cold. And CO2 is produced to just make your buns warmer.

The Tesla’s do heat up fast so your not cold for long.

Highly recommend a garage for any EV in the snow belt. But certainly doable without.

Last edited:
3 winters, north Idaho, 60k miles model S 90D 12/16 build.... no problems and I park outside... great handling in snow/ice. Pre heat is nice.

range loss can be mitigated by preheating and ending charge near departure time, these things only matter if you are pushing the range limits of the car, and when you do, you can slow down and drive less aggressive and it is not hard... fwiw

Reactions: jerry33