TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

In the snow?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by darthvdr, Jul 23, 2013.

1. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

In just 3-4 months we will start getting snow in Tahoe. I have a cabin there and love bringing my grandkids up. I was wondering if anyone's made a trek through snowy conditions with chains and is it a no no for the MS?

2. HHHH

HHHH Member

Darth, you are quite the active member today!

3. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

#3 JerryNycom, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Here's the video from Tesla.....

4. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

I drove my car all winter here in the East with 19" rims and found it was fine in up to 4" of snow. After that I didn't risk taking her out for a spin, but imagine with wirechains and traction control it would be pretty good.

5. anthony

anthony Member

Drove mine in vt while snowing with 3 inches on the road no plows or salt (it was post winter) on 21s. Didn't have a problem but snow is my favorite driving condition.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Get good snow tires (e.g. Nokkians), not the Pirellis that Tesla provides, and you will be fine. There are lots of threads here on winter driving - do a search. Or just look in the Canada section...

7. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Get a good winter tires for all four rims. Plug it in every time you stop. Have fun.

8. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

#8 darthvdr, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I am. Learning lots and lots.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for sharing. I love watching videos of the MS. Looks like our MS' hold up quite well in snowy conditions.

9. AC1K

AC1K Member

if your area allows it, get studded winter tires (pirelli winter carving edge), it could make a world of difference, also since the cold is better for the longevity of your batteries (at the cost of some of your range) you could probably charge it to 100% without much degradation. Also try and set your cabin temp while its plugged in to prevent additional battery usage.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Except for a small handful of situations, studs are actually worse because they hold the rubber off the ground. Modern studless tires are just as effective and don't raise the lung cancer rates or destroy the roads.

11. William13

William13 Member

I drove in 8 inch snow falls several times without issue. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R winter tires are great. Great stopping. Mildly slow starting versus 4 wheel drive cars. I would be careful about unplowed snow over about 8 inches though. The car is very smooth underneath and can pack the snow from 8 to 6 inches. You still have plenty of traction.
    Nokian has new R2 which they claim has better rolling milage and grip especially on ice.

No studs.

12. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

13. Gear

Gear Member

Does anybody know a good option for snow tires that can be driven in warmer weather? I'm in the unique position of living in the mountains of southern California, so I can be at my house driving in snow and then driving in 70 degree temperatures within minutes. From what I understand, most winter tires don't like being in temperatures above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe I'll just get chains instead.

14. William13

William13 Member

Nokian makes the only all season/severe weather tire that I am familiar with currently. It is the WR2. It is not available in our stock sizes... You could try to go with a different rim and tire which matches the circumference. Some 18 inch rims may fit.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That is mostly replaced with the WR-g2. Still not available in our size. However, I ran a set of those in Texas and got about 30,000 miles and also my first 70 mpg tank. Not bad for tires that compete with all but the very best snow tires. Perhaps they will have our sizes soon.

16. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

No such Winter tire exists that work well in warm weather (by this I mean last).

17. William13

William13 Member

The Continentals will not endure 20,000 miles of my driving . The Nokian WR G2 lasted 30,000 for me and a Texan. Certainly slower cars.

18. zooooooom

zooooooom Member

has anyone tried the chains that tesla sells for the 19" rims? any good?

19. Gear

Gear Member

Looks like I'm going to be trying them this winter. We'll see I guess! They're Z-Chain brand, which seems to be very high quality from the reviews I've seen. I have some Z-Chains for my BMW and bought them based on reviews, but haven't really had to use them so far.