TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

In the snow!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Isletime, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Isletime

Isletime Member

Wasn't sure where this best belongs, but I just had a long drive home in the snow today. The car handled perfectly with my Michelin X-ice tires, but I think I've finally figured out the one thing an ICE is good for...melting the snow off the hood. My car was free from snow when I left, and this is what it looked like when I got home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1388716031.656737.jpg

2. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

I have a set of Michelin X-ICE tires as well. The first 3" of snow we had here they worked fantastically. They are more noisy than my Primacy MXM4s and they don't have as much wet/dry traction but they are so great in the snow/ice.

3. MikeL

MikeL some guy

While I'm watching your weather on TV :eek: One thing I find I'm missing now that I have 2 EVs in the garage, parking a highway-hot 5.8l V-8 in the garage w the door closed keeps the whole place warm for hours. Only had to waste 85% of the gas it burns to achieve that "benefit". ML

4. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

It's good to see the headlights give off enough heat to melt the snow. I think the fog lights are LED's so they would probably end up covered in snow.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My car looks like that a lot.

6. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

What is that white stuff on the car?? Is it a new xPel wrap? :)

7. bint2k

bint2k Member

If the snow sits on the hood does it not blow up into the windshield often? I always brush off snow on the hood of any ICE car in the morning just because it ends up blowing all over the place when driving...

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Snow on the hood either blows off as soon as you start moving - if it's dry - or clings to the car like there's no tomorrow. You do need to brush it off if you've got an inch or more.

9. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

The last time I saw pictures in the snow, was from Norway, and it only really grabbed the grill area of the car, not the whole hood. So this is a little, interesting. I assume it is half-frozen to the car, so it probably isn't easy to remove. Did you have the temperature in the cabin turned up?

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Now that you mention it that might be a neat vinyl wrap.

11. Isletime

Isletime Member

Yeah, temp in the cabin was 74 or so. I was actually shocked when I got out of the car and saw how much snow had accumulated in the hood and grill.

12. Isletime

Isletime Member

There was no snow on the car before I started to drive. All of that snow accumulated on the car while driving.