Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In V10 how to send videos to play in the Tesla Theatre?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got so excited when I read about this feature, I downloaded an entire movie from Netflix to my phone over WiFi. During my big trip the following day, as I sat at a Supercharger, I couldn't get it to play, or mirror, or whatever you want to call it. I guess Tesla is referring only to sharing a link. Bummer. I feel a little guilty watching a movie over their LTE network that I could have simply downloaded somewhere else over WiFi. This becomes especially relevant if I'm off the beaten path and there is no LTE network.

Same. 23 replies in and yet to have someone actually answer the original question.
Yeah.

I just moments ago tried this, hoping to be able to offer step-by-step instructions to y'all. <buzzer sound of failure> Nope.

I found a video in the YouTube app on my phone. I shared it to the Tesla app, and got a happy confirmation message about it shared to Wattney (my car's name). And then what? I poked around in the app on my phone, but found nothing relevant. I went to the YT app in the car, and it was just the generic main screen.

So where did my share go?

[Also Caraoke was black screens, and Smart Summon only worked 2 out of 4 times; the others it tried to drive over a curb and into bushes. Sigh]

It works from my YouTube app on my iPhone and share to the Tesla app. The tesla screen will show the video while in my Tesla is in Park.

Not working for me. I opened the YouTube app on my iPhone, then clicked share on a video, then at the bottom of the screen hit "More", then clicked the Tesla App and it said the video was sent to my car. But then what?

Is the YouTube app in Tesla Theater supposed to be open or closed before sending the video? Because I tried it both ways and it didn't show up or play. Then I tried sending a video clip someone recorded on their iPhone and sent me via iMessage, couldn't even find my Tesla app to share it to. So, is this only for YouTube video? What are the supported theater sources Tesla is talking about?

I tried a bunch of stuff and in all instances where share showed the Tesla option it didn’t do anything. I thought maybe you could send a YouTube video and have it auto launch the YouTube app and play the video, but even that doesn’t work

This isn't like chess or buggy racing, you'd think that launching something like this that they would, somewhere, have some user instructions located, web, drop down dialog, something.... Or maybe they do, and I just haven't found it (only got 32.11.1 last night).

Last edited:
It works from my YouTube app on my iPhone and share to the Tesla app. The tesla screen will show the video while in my Tesla is in Park.
I’ve spent some time this morning trying to Google how to do this, but searches containing “Tesla” and “share” get a lot of results!

Your post is the only example I can find of somebody sharing a video successfully! Can you provide a detailed explanation of how you did it, including your Tesla model, iPhone type, iOS version, YouTube configuration, etc. In particular, how do you watch the videos in your car?

Like others have mentioned in this thread, I seem to be able to share a video, but I can’t figure out what that does, if anything.

Just the 2019.32.12.1 update and not sharing works! Went to YouTube on my phone selected a video and hit share, then the Tesla app and the Tesla Theater YouTube app started up and played the video.

Still not sure what use I'd get out of this feature because I can't share any iPhone video. Not sure if a downloaded movie on my phone can be shared to Tesla Theater.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Just the 2019.32.12.1 update and not sharing works! Went to YouTube on my phone selected a video and hit share, then the Tesla app and the Tesla Theater YouTube app started up and played the video.

Still not sure what use I'd get out of this feature because I can't share any iPhone video. Not sure if a downloaded movie on my phone can be shared to Tesla Theater.

I don’t know why people thought anything else BUT your experience now was going to happen. This was always about sharing a link. Don’t expect to be able to mirror your content anytime soon (if ever).

Glad to see this is now fixed, though.

I just tested and this doesn’t work for me.
2AA219C5-2615-481F-8555-802E8FA30F6E.jpeg

*EDIT*

The key is to share BEFORE opening the video, not while you’re in the video itself. Then it works.