Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inability to sleep related to WiFi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
I've been trying to pinpoint why my car has not been able to sleep and I noticed something kind of interesting the other night. Initially, I thought it was related to my MCU1 => MCU2 (along with new firmware) upgrade but now I wonder if the inability to sleep is related to WiFi.

When I park at home I do not have WiFi in my underground parking spot. We are on trip right now and staying with my girlfriend's family who has WiFi coverage where I am parked. I was checking some data and noticed that the car has been able to sleep again. Although it looks like it is entering sleep mode for 15-30 minutes at a time, this appears consistent with what others are reporting vs long sleep blocks.

Vehicle state at home, no WiFi
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 9.53.51 AM.png

Vehicle state at home, connected to WiFi network
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 9.43.51 AM.png

I intentionally parked the car outside of WiFi coverage last night and checked again in the morning. One very long idle, but no sleeps.
Was your car plugged in? Since I got my MCU2 upgrade last year, the only way to get my car to sleep is to unplug it. It will then sleep for days. When plugged, it will have a behavior similar to what you are describing. I had two Tesla Service calls and they told me it is apparently a known issue that is investigated by engineering. I guess the engineering turnaround time is now over a year. FYI, I have a thread on this sleeping subject.

Reactions: gangzoom
Was your car plugged in? Since I got my MCU2 upgrade last year, the only way to get my car to sleep is to unplug it. It will then sleep for days. When plugged, it will have a behavior similar to what you are describing. I had two Tesla Service calls and they told me it is apparently a known issue that is investigated by engineering. I guess the engineering turnaround time is now over a year. FYI, I have a thread on this sleeping subject.
Nope, never plugged in. I don't have access to a charger at home.

Previous to software 2021.4.15 my S had a poor record of sleeping, but it suddenly started the pattern you show (sleeping exactly one hour) every two hours. Home plugged in with charging to start at 23:00. UniFi WiFi node in garage. For whatever reason since I acquired it in early Jan it had a poor record of sleeping according to TeslaFi, until april 27th, then sleeps…