Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inaccurate Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My two year old Tesla 3 mid-range navigation is unreliable.

January 5 I tested positive for the Coronavirus and had to drive to a hospital, feeling pretty crappy, to get antibody treatment. Nav took me way out of the way and it took nearly 1.5 hours to drive there. It was right off the Garden State Parkway. Going home I took the parkway and it took an hour.

A month later in Brooklyn, Nav wanted me to drive through Manhattan to get home. Waze took me through Staten Island and saved nearly 30 minutes.

Last Saturday I had to navigate to a Supercharger in a mall in Deptford, NJ. It's in a shopping center on the corner of a busy intersection. Nav sent me to the diagonally opposite corner... I had to drive around guessing where it might be.

I made an appointment at the Tesla Service center which they cancelled because they claim it's all on Google Maps... I'm not happy at all with this... anyone have any ideas?

My two year old Tesla 3 mid-range navigation is unreliable.

January 5 I tested positive for the Coronavirus and had to drive to a hospital, feeling pretty crappy, to get antibody treatment. Nav took me way out of the way and it took nearly 1.5 hours to drive there. It was right off the Garden State Parkway. Going home I took the parkway and it took an hour.

A month later in Brooklyn, Nav wanted me to drive through Manhattan to get home. Waze took me through Staten Island and saved nearly 30 minutes.

Last Saturday I had to navigate to a Supercharger in a mall in Deptford, NJ. It's in a shopping center on the corner of a busy intersection. Nav sent me to the diagonally opposite corner... I had to drive around guessing where it might be.

I made an appointment at the Tesla Service center which they cancelled because they claim it's all on Google Maps... I'm not happy at all with this... anyone have any ideas?

Do you know a navigation service that is 100% (not 99.999%, but 100%) accurate?
Also, speaking of traffic, do you have live traffic subscription in your car? If yes, then it's Google issues. The maps in Tesla are by Google anyway, so the Tesla service is correct. It would be your car issues only if you find the map shows your current position not where your car actually is. Everything else in navigation has Google algorithms as the base software.

The navigation definitely has some glitches. There is a spot in town where the directions list a left exit (with the line drawing indicating not to take it, but who can look at it that closely while driving) even though I’m supposed to stay on the highway then it switches to taking the highway just as you get to the exit. It seems the map information is just incorrect in some spots.

I take a long drive regularly that is a straight shot on the freeway. Once, the navigation told me to get off the freeway to drive down back roads before returning to the freeway at two different locations that were not necessary. I think that was due to old traffic data (accidents that had been cleared but navigation was routing me around).

I take a long drive regularly that is a straight shot on the freeway. Once, the navigation told me to get off the freeway to drive down back roads before returning to the freeway at two different locations that were not necessary. I think that was due to old traffic data (accidents that had been cleared but navigation was routing me around).

Happened to me several times, and not just in Tesla.

he nav routing is definitely not good in comparison to any other common offering, but a service center won't be able to do anything to "fix" it.

One of the biggest failings is not providing route options, which I've had in every GPS system I've used over the last dozen years. Even Google maps suggests three optional routes. One way to get another option is to ignore the routing for a while and force a recalculation.

Nav is an aid. The driver still has to use their brain and look around Remember those people that followed their GPS and drove in to the lakes and rivers? Yeah, don't be like them. GPS is not perfect. The maps are not perfect, the nav can make a route for you first start but the traffic could change on the way, etc.

I've found Tesla navigation powered by google maps to be as reliable as the google maps app on my iphone ... but with charging stops calculated.

the only warning: Tesla projected charging stops can be a tad optimistic *if* you go faster than 75mph ... i charge always more than the car tells me for that reason

Reactions: rpiotro
Unfortunately they are correct. The Tesla maps are really Google maps, and there is nothing the service center would be able to do about it.
Today I was driving home and the car told me to take 395 toward Washington when it should have been toward Richmond (south not north). Google maps has correct directions. If they are tied, how could this happen? I have photos of the Tesla Nav and screenshots from Google maps and they are not the same. Sadly it won’t let me upload.

I was able to upload now

Attachments

• 8DC68100-58E0-49B2-AFE9-17F90185AAEB.jpeg
    8DC68100-58E0-49B2-AFE9-17F90185AAEB.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 46A8C281-684C-410F-91BF-C7C2B1D80578.jpeg
    46A8C281-684C-410F-91BF-C7C2B1D80578.jpeg
    495.1 KB · Views: 68
  • FFA52FB9-ED5A-4A5D-9327-769EE3B7CC95.png
    FFA52FB9-ED5A-4A5D-9327-769EE3B7CC95.png
    777.3 KB · Views: 66
I will bite on this one as it has DEFINITELY happened to us just about every single morning/afternoon/evening....

2022 M3LR The route we propose is from our house to go to Walmart. It is MAYBE a 4 mile drive. Yet every time the navigation systems take us all the way down the hill...make turns on side roads for 3 miles to get back to the SAME left turn that should be done. It is funny but not annoying. Just makes us question the reliability of the "proposed navigation solution". We use Waze for everything but not for a 6 minute drive to WalMart.

Some day I will figure out how to display this to you all but it is simply humorous to drive past an exit (the only one) to drive 3 miles in a circle to come back to the same exit. The thing that is weird is that we have a supercharger station just 100 yards from the turn left I mentioned. Pretty crazy ;)

Does anybody know if there a way to report these nav glitches? I don't have too many, but have noticed that it will sometimes have me go to the next light and make a u-turn vs. just turning left at the last light. That being said, Apple Maps has done the same thing with me. None of them are perfect.

The thing that irked me most was when putting in a restaurant address it choked. The address was there but the system couldn't create a route. If you typed the restaurant name in the nav search and touched on it, no problem. But manually entering the literal same address choked it. I was at the service center for something else and showed a tech but he had no idea how to report the bug.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I have one of those carpuride screens in a golf cart for aa/cp/dashcam/rearview mirror. It works, however it is a little slow to power up and connect and the audio output quality is terrible. Voices sound fine (like reading a text), but the music quality stinks. I'm not sure how you would integrate it into the tesla system so it might not matter.

the split screen aa/cp on one side and the backup camera on the other is pretty nice, though.