Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inadvertent Range Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I inadvertently range charged my S85 yesterday... in the end, I had to drive about 80 miles that day anyway, so it was okay.

The interesting thing is that my normal charge this morning showed a few extra miles than before-- is this common after range charging?

I had never range charged the car before, over 5,000 miles.

I inadvertently range charged my S85 yesterday... in the end, I had to drive about 80 miles that day anyway, so it was okay.

The interesting thing is that my normal charge this morning showed a few extra miles than before-- is this common after range charging?

I had never range charged the car before, over 5,000 miles.

When bringing the pack up to full, it helps the battery management system balance the battery pack. Your pack was a bit out of balance, as you only have as much power as the lowest cell in the pack. Bringing it up to full, and balancing the battery brought all the cells closer to equal voltage, and giving you a mile or two back.

So is it good to do a range charge every so often, even if you don't need to?

my understanding is that it's good to do a cycle or two before a trip where you will need the most range you can get but leaving the cells out of balance is not bad for them in terms of longer term longevity. my habit is to plug the car in whenever in the garage, but I leave the slider at 50%. I'll top up as necessary to try and cycle roughly between 30-60%, which is supposed to be ideal for such cells. keep in mind this is my personal extrapolation from studying this and not absolute fact. one of the reasons I went for the 80A charger was to be able to top up quickly on the occasion I need to, making it less risky to leave the car at a 50% charge while resting.