Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inches from Getting It In The Rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just inches from getting rear-ended today. Inches. (Deep breath).

I was on I-64, and it had just been raining, so the roads were a little slick. Holiday traffic ahead, and of course everyone's being a bonehead driver because of the holiday. When I see the cars slow down, I do as well. I completely stopped with about 10 feet of space ahead of me.

Good thing too, because a VW came roaring toward me from behind. I heard the tires start squealing, struggling to hold on the wet pavement. I gave the motor some amps...enough to move forward a few feet, and that's what saved my baby from getting crinkled.

Phew. Heart beating fast. It reveals a good tip. If you're in stop and go traffic on the highway, and traffic is coming to a stop, leave some room ahead of you for this very possibility.

Wow, I'm glad you thought fast! That could have been a nightmare. Did you have your rear facing camera on during the close call? I imagine that would be very helpful in judging distance between you and the car behind you.

Yes, I usually leave my rear camera in the lower half. My sunroof was open. When I heard the squealing, I looked down, saw that it was the car coming toward me, so I moved forward.

Interestingly, my response was not to give some "gas" or floor it. Instead, my foot actually pulsed a few times, so my car jerked forward a few times. I think because in the short time I had to react, my brain was fighting between "hit the car in front of me" and "save my back end."

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I commute in stop and go traffic (at times), ever since I got my S, I've been doing exactly as you, giving myself twice the distance in front, partly for more stopping time, but even more so, for the guy behind me (that I can't directly control)... so I have more room to move up for this scenario you just went through.

I also use the rear camera (top half), along with side mirrors dialed in for complete blind spot coverage.

Ratcheting up "defensive" driving.

I64 on the peninsula-to-southside is the worst. I've seen everything on that road. A loaded pallet. A Ladder. A whole bumper. A full suitcase. The traffic is fast, the road is twisty, and sudden stops are common. And it seems like everyone is texting, or tailgating, or both.

Damn... I need to get a job in Williamsburg. :)

Because I commute in stop and go traffic (at times), ever since I got my S, I've been doing exactly as you, giving myself twice the distance in front, partly for more stopping time, but even more so, for the guy behind me (that I can't directly control)... so I have more room to move up for this scenario you just went through.

I also use the rear camera (top half), along with side mirrors dialed in for complete blind spot coverage.

Ratcheting up "defensive" driving.

The traffic around Toronto is now amongst the worst in the world. The defensive driving strategies that I use to avoid getting smashed from behind are as follows:

1. Drive behind a car, rather than a truck or SUV, to get better visibility of the traffic ahead (and leave ample space).
2. Use the Nav / Traffic function to get early warning messages.
3. Drive in the left lane so you can pull off on the shoulder if the car behind you isn't stopping.
4. Modulate on and off the brakes hard and well in advance to flash the brake lights and jack up the rear end to catch the attention of the driver behind.
5. Turn on the four way flashers when you can see that the traffic is going to be substantially slower ahead (but turn them off as soon as the car behind you has got the message and slowed down).

Using the above strategies I have avoided a few dozen accidents during my daily commute over the past forty years (as speeds frequently go from 115 km/hr to zero and back again) but was hit once by a driver who was paying no attention to the warning signals, lost control and hit me from the side despite my vehicle being fully off the travelled portion of the roadway) Oh well.

I64 on the peninsula-to-southside is the worst. I've seen everything on that road. A loaded pallet. A Ladder. A whole bumper. A full suitcase. The traffic is fast, the road is twisty, and sudden stops are common. And it seems like everyone is texting, or tailgating, or both.

One day driving home last year 2 near-collisions happened right next to me in two different places on I-64. First one (Friday afternoon, of course) was a jeep not paying attention to what was ahead of him. Traffic stopped, he didn't--at first. Slammed on his brakes and luckily stopped right before hitting the car in front of him. Then, literally 10 minutes later, I was in the other lane and watched an SUV slam on the brakes and swerve into the shoulder to avoid slamming into the car in front of her.

Goes to show you don't need a 17" touchscreen to be distracted...

Damn... I need to get a job in Williamsburg. :)

Why--so you can deal with the crazy I-64 drivers every day on your way back to Newport News :)? I've been looking for your car. I was at the Sam's Club by the airport today. I'll wave if and when I see you!

The traffic around Toronto is now amongst the worst in the world. The defensive driving strategies that I use to avoid getting smashed from behind are as follows:

1. Drive behind a car, rather than a truck or SUV, to get better visibility of the traffic ahead (and leave ample space).
2. Use the Nav / Traffic function to get early warning messages.
3. Drive in the left lane so you can pull off on the shoulder if the car behind you isn't stopping.
4. Modulate on and off the brakes hard and well in advance to flash the brake lights and jack up the rear end to catch the attention of the driver behind.
5. Turn on the four way flashers when you can see that the traffic is going to be substantially slower ahead (but turn them off as soon as the car behind you has got the message and slowed down).

Using the above strategies I have avoided a few dozen accidents during my daily commute over the past forty years (as speeds frequently go from 115 km/hr to zero and back again) but was hit once by a driver who was paying no attention to the warning signals, lost control and hit me from the side despite my vehicle being fully off the travelled portion of the roadway) Oh well.

Yes, I do 1 thru 4 frequently, but perhaps not religiously. Good reminders/tips though. Thanks!
And thanks Todd for bringing this up. Helpful.

The traffic around Toronto is now amongst the worst in the world.

It certainly seems so, and is very noticeable when driving outside of the GTA

I actually try to avoid that. The left lanes (including center lanes on freeways) are supposed to be for passing only and it always bugs me when folks just cruise in the left or center passing lanes. Did you mean "right" lane since the shoulder is to the right? That's where I try to drive unless passing.

Another tip is when stopping, always make sure you can see the car in front's rear tires on the pavement. That gives a bit of a buffer if you do get hit from behind, but also leaves you enough room to swing around the car if it stalls or is blocked.[/QUOTE]

One day driving home last year 2 near-collisions happened right next to me in two different places on I-64. First one (Friday afternoon, of course) was a jeep not paying attention to what was ahead of him. Traffic stopped, he didn't--at first. Slammed on his brakes and luckily stopped right before hitting the car in front of him. Then, literally 10 minutes later, I was in the other lane and watched an SUV slam on the brakes and swerve into the shoulder to avoid slamming into the car in front of her.

Goes to show you don't need a 17" touchscreen to be distracted...

Why--so you can deal with the crazy I-64 drivers every day on your way back to Newport News :)? I've been looking for your car. I was at the Sam's Club by the airport today. I'll wave if and when I see you!

My wife works in Wbrg, so relocating there would make a lot of sense.

Been on the lookout for your car also. My neighbor said he saw a white Tesla in oyster point city center. I wonder if that is the owner from Williamsburg? My car is still the only Tesla I've seen. Getting lots of "what car is that?" at stoplights. :)