TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Incidents of Tesla fires...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by IngTH, Feb 25, 2019.

1. IngTH

IngTH Member

#1 IngTH, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2019
    Moderator note: The first 59 posts of this thread were moved from a thread discussing a specific Tesla accident.

Sorry guys,f

but why do you risk your life and why don't you ask for a recall? Two fiery crashes in 1 week!

No european manufacturer uses battery packs at EUCAR5 hazard level! There is a reason for that!

eucar.jpg

• Disagree x 9
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Here we go with this again
    Such major collisions would ignite an ICE vehicle as well.
    Tragic event, but let’s not pretend this is in any way life threatening to everyday normal use of the vehicle.

• Like x 12
    • Helpful x 1
  3. IngTH

IngTH Member

Sorry, but this isn't correct. In an ICE front collision the gas tank is very unlikely to ignite.

When i counted right, there are now 11 fatalities in fiery Tesla crashes in about 6 years? I guess in a Mercedes S-class in all its history there were not 11 fatalities in fiery crashes?

But the question is, why don't you hear of fatalities in burning Leafs or Zoes? One of the main reason is cathode chemistry:

DDK.jpg

• Disagree x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  4. Electric Dream

I'd still rather be in a 70mph crash sitting in a Tesla rather than a Leaf or Zoe thanks very much.

• Like x 2
  5. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

#5 mtndrew1, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    There were nearly 172,000 vehicle fires in the US in a two year timespan. https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v19i2.pdf

This S class didn’t even need to crash to burst into flames.

As far as I’m aware this Florida crash is the first fatality *due to* a fire in a Tesla, is it not? There have been fires before but the collision impacts or other factors have been what ultimately killed the occupant(s).

This is a tragic story but it seems that the cause of death here is a careless driver aggressively operating a very powerful car and losing control.

59568FA9-7C31-4E0C-90A4-2E7C0EC9BAF3.jpeg
    9EE20F8C-6997-47E8-9760-0ED6006C6667.jpeg
    831E0097-5081-4141-8D2F-3557FF1C25BA.jpeg

• Like x 5
  6. IngTH

IngTH Member

You're wrong! From my count its the 5th human being burnt alive in a Tesla! Just about one month ago a 19 year old girl died in hospital from the burn and cauterization she suffered in a Tesla fire 3 weeks earlier.

I can't understand why you defend a vehicle with major design flaws in the battery pack?

• Disagree x 10
    • Funny x 1
  7. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

Can you please provide links to these crashes where fatalities were due to fires in Tesla vehicles?

I “defend” the design because I’ve never seen any falsifiable evidence that Teslas have higher fire and/or death rates than any comparable cars. If one can provide evidence to the contrary then that’s another matter.

Cars catch fire all the time, particularly in collisions, with all manner of propulsion sources. Tesla’s pack chemistry is in fact more reactive than something like a Zoe but less so than a tank of gasoline. Furthermore if one were to crash head on into an SUV in a Tesla it is less likely that the driver would die than if they were in a Zoe.

Everything is a tradeoff. Please site your sources for people “burned alive” in Teslas and evidence that there have been fewer than 11 fire-related fatalities in Mercedes Benz S-classes.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Link to the a related article that has full information about the crash.

PS a 19-year old female is a woman.

9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.16.2

What proof do you have that the driver in the most recent Florida accident was still alive?

• Like x 1
  10. IngTH

IngTH Member

New Ipswich teen burned in Tesla crash has died

Sorry for my imperfection, i'm not a native speaker.

11. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

Surviving a crash so violent that it split a car in two and then succumbing to injuries a *month* later is far from being “burned alive.”

Based on your posting history it seems that you either have an axe to grind or some sort of misinformation.

If that poor woman dying a month after a crash splitting a car in two is your idea of a dangerously flawed vehicle design I’d like to know what sort of car you consider safe.

Whatever you personally drive, google it for images combined with the word “fire” and you’re likely to come up with dozens of pages of fiery wreckages much like I got for the S-Class Mercedes you claimed has never had such an issue.

Google “BMW South Korea fires” to see modern BMWs bursting into flames, being recalled, and forced from being sold.

I have yet to see any evidence that Tesla products are anything but safe in relation to the performance of other automobiles.

• Like x 11
  12. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

@IngTH Did you understand the poster who posted how there are so many more in magnitude of gas cars that catch on fire?

13. IngTH

IngTH Member

The other 2 passengers survived! Do you know about cauterization with HF (fluorhydric acid)?

I don't want to discuss with you guys about the fact if Teslas burn or not. I just wanted to encourage to ask for a recall.

At least a dielectric battery coolant should be standard in the price class the Tesla sells!

The car i drive mainly didn't catch fire up to now!

Here a list of places where Teslas caught fire:

Kent, Washington
    Merida, Mexiko
    Mursfreesboro, Tennesse
    Irvine, Kalifornien
    Toronto Kanada
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Los Angeles, Kalifornien †
    Malibu, Kalifornien †
    Gjerstad, Norwegen
    Bayonne, Frankreich
    Gratkorn, Österreich
    Baarn, Niederlande †
    Indianapolis ††
    Shanghai
    Manchester
    Guangzhou
    Phoenix
    Irvine
    Ermensee, Schweiz
    Burien Washington
    Lake Forest, Kalifornien
    Pians Arlberg
    Amsterdam
    Mountainview, Kalifornien †
    Fort Lauderdale ††
    Bellinzona †
    Los Angeles, Kalifornien
    West Kelowna Kanada
    New Jersey
    Boguszów Polen
    Los Gatos, CA
    Rindge, NH †
    Fremont, CA
    Davie, FL †

• Funny x 1
  14. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

#14 Evoforce, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    And.... you don't even want to exhaust yourself on a comparison to the list of gas car fires... Right?

• Like x 4
  15. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

I see you troll after Tesla accidents. Affiliated with a German Auto company or supplier?

Fact is ICE vehicles catch fire all the time, particularly German ones just parked in Garages (ie bmw’s...google that).

• Like x 6
  16. animorph

animorph Active Member

Man, I thought we'd heard of every Tesla crash ever in the news here on TMC. Apparently not according to IngTH. This is the first one that I can recall where the fire happened so fast that the occupants could not be removed first. Not a problem for me.

17. IngTH

IngTH Member

You can't compare a luxury car with < 7 years with a compact car of 15 years!

If think you find more fatalities or just burned cars of i.e. W222 mercedes than Tesla S, good luck!

I'm working with stationary Li batteries and i can asure you: NCA is NOT an appropriate cathode chemistry for a street vehicle!

• Disagree x 1
  18. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

Sure we can if the concern is about vehicle safety... and this is based on our concern...Right?

19. IngTH

IngTH Member

Man, i'm collecting vintage cars and own more american cars than german ones!

Yes, every producer has/had problems with defective parts! But they all issued a recall to solve the problem!

20. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

But the Tesla batteries aren't defective, so why would they recall them?

• Like x 6