Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incidents of Tesla fires...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, i'm collecting vintage cars and own more american cars than german ones!

Yes, every producer has/had problems with defective parts! But they all issued a recall to solve the problem!

You have provided no falsifiable evidence whatsoever that Teslas catch fire more often than the cars they compete with. If you’re claiming that W222s have fewer fire-related deaths than the Model S you’re going to need to provide some evidence.

There is nothing I’m aware of to recall; the cars are operating as designed and have better crash performance than their competitors. The company has built nearly half a million of these things and a large chunk of the cars are in a country with lax driving standards and typically accumulate 25,000 km per year. Per mile in particular there is nothing even remotely concerning as far as crash/fire rates in Tesla automobiles. Eleven fires, largely due to extremely severe collisions, over half a million cars is...not something to be concerned about.

What do you drive?

O.k. I see you want to compare apples (luxury cars) with peaches (all cars).

Here an article from 2013, which mentions 209 fire deaths in US per year (2013):
One Statistic Shows Why Everyone Needs To Relax About The Recent Tesla Fires

When i compare all registered cars (256 millions in 2013) with ~250k registered Tesla model S/X in the last 12 months, the fire fatality rate (5) of Tesla S/X is 24 times as high as of all cars!

Compared with only luxury cars < 7 years this would be a even much higher rate!

You feel the need to point out that you think Tesla's catch fire more often then other cars

Prove it, otherwise leave

Providing facts is the only way to prove this and its funny how you cant seem to come up with anything to support your arguement.

The other 2 passengers survived! Do you know about cauterization with HF (fluorhydric acid)?

Hmm. HF. Isn’t that what’s caused when the air conditioning refrigerant R1234yf combusts in German cars following a fiery accident?

New refrigerant for cars: EU must not ignore fire risk

Isn’t that refrigerant which can cause HF used by BMW directly in the i3 battery pack cooling plate?

Here an article from 2013, which mentions 209 fire deaths in US per year (2013):

When i compare all registered cars (256 millions in 2013) with ~250k registered Tesla model S/X in the last 12 months, the fire fatality rate (5) of Tesla S/X is 24 times as high as of all cars!

From your link:

“And while vehicle fires hurt more than 750 people every year, the three Tesla fires caused no injuries.“

Many of these deaths are from people driving wrecklessly. And many people want to drive wrecklessly in a Tesla because of its performance. So that probably plays a role as well.

Reactions: outdoors
Conjecture, but I would assume the increased rate of Tesla fires over ‘all cars’ is speed. Other than one of the first fires on a Tesla when striking an object in the road, most all of the fires seem to occur at a crash at high speed >75mph.

I’ve seen many crashes at those types of speeds and if I judged overall model safety to how those cars looked even Volvo’s would be considered unsafe cars.

Reactions: outdoors and SO16
Hmm. HF. Isn’t that what’s caused when the air conditioning refrigerant R1234yf combusts in German cars following a fiery accident?
In a battery fire HF is released from the LiPF6 (conductive salt) which reacts with water. This is a much higher amount than the one from a AC refrigerant fire.

Mercedes i.e. uses CO2 AC refrigerant in its luxury cars! Can you guess why?
These ACs are much more expensive than R1234yf ACs!

Tesla uses R1234yf as well!

• Disagree
Reactions: rsg123
In a battery fire HF is released from the LiPF6 (conductive salt) which reacts with water. This is a much higher amount than the one from a AC refrigerant fire.

Mercedes i.e. uses CO2 AC refrigerant in its luxury cars! Can you guess why?
These ACs are much more expensive than R1234yf ACs!

Tesla uses R1234yf as well!

Well hell they should all be recalled then! All the BMWs and Teslas and so forth!

What do you drive?

Here a list of places where Teslas caught fire:

Kent, Washington
Merida, Mexiko
Mursfreesboro, Tennesse
Irvine, Kalifornien
Toronto Kanada
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Los Angeles, Kalifornien †
Malibu, Kalifornien †
Gjerstad, Norwegen
Bayonne, Frankreich
Gratkorn, Österreich
Baarn, Niederlande †
Indianapolis ††
Shanghai
Manchester
Guangzhou
Phoenix
Irvine
Ermensee, Schweiz
Burien Washington
Lake Forest, Kalifornien
Pians Arlberg
Amsterdam
Mountainview, Kalifornien †
Fort Lauderdale ††
Bellinzona †
Los Angeles, Kalifornien
West Kelowna Kanada
New Jersey
Boguszów Polen
Los Gatos, CA
Rindge, NH †
Fremont, CA
Davie, FL †

I'm relieved to see my city is not on the list.

As far as I’m aware this Florida crash is the first fatality *due to* a fire in a Tesla, is it not? There have been fires before but the collision impacts or other factors have been what ultimately killed the occupant(s).

A German chap in a Model S crashed into motorway divider at Bellinzona, Switzerland, in May 2018, car flipped and caught fire ... judging from the video there was probably not much left to autopsy, so, as in this Florida case, it is 50:50 he survived the initial crash.
Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 23.06.51.png

Last edited: